Strong Beer review article

Post #1 made 14 years ago
I generally try not to regurgitate stuff lifted off other websites, so I won't here. Go check out gizmag's review of some of the extreme/ world's strongest beers.
Thankfully this is not your junior puppy dog journo's predictably- lame effort at drooling over their first Eisbock, getting all messed up and then spewing incomprehensible dribble, but is a reasonably serious review of the big players in the boutique strong beer market with a lot of interesting text, historical and social context plus some interviews, so I doubt it is all just lifted from a press release.
There's Schorschbräu Schorschbock and Brewdog’s Tactical Nuclear Penguin plus a counter in Revelation Cat's Freeze The Penguin and Brewdog's counter- counter Sink the Bismark etc, so some of the major players are represented, even more get a mention. There's quite a bit on product development and philosophy and insight into the fierce competition to take out the 'world's strongest beer' mantle.
“To create the 43% beer, I had to filter around 15 times”, said Tscheuschner.
One question that I wonder about, is with all the handling that goes into Eisbocks and Eis-whatevers, doesn't that just oxidise it pretty fiercely? Or maybe they madly purge all the equipment with CO2 I wonder, or even something more noble and exotic, just to drive the cost up even more. :?

Me? I'm not really that interested, I don't often drink the strong stuff as I often struggle to stay upright and intelligible on even the usual full strength beer, let alone wickedly strong stuff. As an aside, that's why much of the 9% BIABrewer Ball- Roller Stout is now in stubbies- because I am just a bit of a fairy when it comes to the extra- strong stuff, I actually enjoy waking up after a night on the tiles with my mouth not tasting like the bottom of a birdcage and a slightly upset tummy, nor blinding pain threatening to cleave my brain's hemispheres apart either... :o

BTW, perhaps I should've posted this in the your last brew thread- reckon if some of this fire water doesn't kill you, then you'll wish it did! :lol:
Last edited by Ralph on 03 Jun 2010, 07:07, edited 10 times in total.
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #2 made 14 years ago
I saw a video online of the process in making the Nuclear Penguin beer - interesting stuff. Part freezing the beer in 1000 litre cubes, tilting them on an angle to draw off the alcohol stronger each time, like we would with an Eisbock, but on a larger scale.

I would think that the oxidation process may be retarded somewhat by the amount of ice in the cube, and a final purge at the end perhaps to over carbonate, then slowly vent, would reduce the effects of oxidation one might think.

9% is plenty for my palate though, but I keg it still, I figure that way I don't feel inclined to finish the last bottle I opened that in hindsight I probably shouldn't have....

Damn, now you have me thinking of Doppelbock....

Matt

Post #3 made 14 years ago
Yeah, good point Matt, I wondered about that freezing/ gasses thing after I posted. The propensity for any more gasses to dissolve in what I guess is by then beer would have to be much less at those lower temperatures.
Also reckon the end point with all the freezing(/s) (touched on in TFA) would have to be trade secret material, but these days with analytical chemists doing some pretty amazing things, even with labs in- house, perhaps not quite such a black art. Nevertheless, I'll stick with my ordinary strength gear, it is still difficult enough!
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #4 made 14 years ago
I find the opposite with kegging Matt. When it's too late and I'm too pissed to crack open another that may be wasted (I hate finding HALF a beer on the table next day) I think "Ah I'll just have a halfa" This of course is repeatable, and where I would have once seen reason and called it quits I now put away another six, all in quick halfas... Anything in a keg that's over 6% hurts me..badly.
Lloydie
[center]"Eat my sugar, man[/center]

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 21 guests