Need some DIY ideas for soda dispenser for beer

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Came across a 5 port counter top soda fountain dispenser yesterday and now I need to figure out what if anything I can do with it. The unit is about 2' cubed and has a CO2/ water charger system attached to it. It was used with the soda syrup boxes so I'm not sure what I can do with it. Seems like there should be something I can use this for. Hate to destroy the entire setup just to get something I can't use.
Any ideas?

M
Last edited by schlitz on 14 Mar 2014, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post #2 made 10 years ago
schlitz,

I read the "Harbor Freight" catalogs for neat stuff I can use in brewing. So far I have bought nothing for brewing. :nup: but plenty for other stuff!

I save my money for my family but I spend my imagination on myself.

http://www.harborfreight.com/#
Last edited by BobBrews on 14 Mar 2014, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Schlitz , are you trying t build a backyard beer garden? If so , then I'm sure you could make some sort of beer fountain with it. Too late in the evening and I have to get up at 4:30am to go to work to think about the setup tonight.

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Well I wasn't planning on a beer garden but now that you mention it,,,,,, :thumbs:
I just love to repurpose stuff and this just seemed like something that could be used to deliver a good cold beer. I've got a STC 1000 controller being delivered any day now and may have a mini fridge from a buddy of mine. Seems like there has got to be an easy way to mount the dispenser on the mini-fridge which would allow me to have a way of keeping the tap cold. If that works then I could expand it to a larger setup with 5 taps-o-goodness. 3 beers, 1 mead and sparkling kool-aid for the kids. Saw a tech article just yesterday about an app that keeps up with how much each person pulls from the tap so presumably you could control how much they drink that way. Even better, though, would be to incorporate a finger print scanner for each tap then I can get my statistics loving wife to make me an Excel spreadsheet to plot each persons consumption. Then when I go to their place and they say they didn't like a particular brew of mine I can pull up my Power Point presentation charts and show their actual consumption and associated statistical flim-flam to point out that they really did in fact like my brew!!!!!
It should be perfectly clear why I want a Coke dispenser,,,, :headhit:

TGIF,
M

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Just quickly schlitz,

Couldn't you use the soda fountain to carbonate your beers? So instead of priming you just carbonate and cap? If you have kegs then you can brew extra and what you can't fit in the keg can be bottled and carbonated immediately.

Maybe???

I reckon also edit your first post's subject so that the topic title changes to something like "Soda Fountain - Any use for brewing?"Somehow get the soda fountain into the subject.

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Good point on the title,,,done.
I like the idea of carbonating but I'm not quite sure how to make it work. The CO2 is tied in to the water supply then delivered to each tap's mixing unit. Perhaps if I go with a single tap I might be able to make it work. Not sure how instant "point of use" carbonation would work with beer. The idea seems sounds.

M

Post #7 made 10 years ago
schlitz wrote: The CO2 is tied in to the water supply then delivered to each tap's mixing unit. Perhaps if I go with a single tap I might be able to make it work. Not sure how instant "point of use" carbonation would work with beer?
So you have hop vodka mixed with the beer? If the system is set up to mix two things? Have hop vodka mix with the beer? Maybe have fresh hops in some container and double feed some beer thru the fresh hops like a hop back? Never too much hops! :thumbs:
Last edited by BobBrews on 14 Mar 2014, 23:49, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #9 made 10 years ago
:lol:
schlitz wrote:The CO2 is tied in to the water supply then delivered to each tap's mixing unit. Perhaps if I go with a single tap I might be able to make it work. Not sure how instant "point of use" carbonation would work with beer.
The instant point of carbonation will work very well I think. I've often pondered about these soda stream machines. I didn't realise that the CO2 is tied into the water supply but there should be absolutely no difference between instantly carbonating your beer and a soft drink. So, I reckon your only problem is how to change the water supply into a beer supply.

(Btw, you could have Bob's vodka on several taps and that could be a 'boosting syrup'! The main issue though is really changing the water intake into a 'flat' beer intake.)

I'm only guessing on this stuff as I have never seen the machine you are looking at. Got any pics especially of the mechanics?

My brain is telling me that this could be a great way of carbonating and dispensing home brew but I just don't have time to think it through atm.

Get that brain happening skink! You can do it!!!

:thumbs:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 15 Mar 2014, 21:18, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “General Chit-Chat, Nonsense & Rambles”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 48 guests