Does hop freshness matter when buying "fresh" hop pellets?

Post #1 made 9 years ago
My LHBS has Czech Saaz hops that are %3 AA and they are from a 2013 crop which would make them at least 18 months old. Should I asume that they are now under %3 AA? Should I care at my still learning level of brewing and beer appreciation?
They are vacuum sealed in foil/plastic UV safe bags. But I guess by now they would be in a nice solid lump of hops and I want to get at least 400g for a double batch. Plus the price is not that great either.....Im doing a Bo Pils so I want to be kinda authentic.

I have seen some at %3.6 AA at a good price but I think that maybe coz they are 2012 (based on another sites info :scratch: )
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #2 made 9 years ago
PS. I have seen it said (?) that some years crops are better than others (Amarillo) so I thought maybe thats why the crop year is noted on some HBS's web sites. Which is the reason Im asking before I do a bulk buy. The brew is a week or 2 off yet.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Nosco, if the pellets are frozen(in a vacuum Bag) the flavor does not disappear.

Bitterness in older hops is the same IBU, but Softer as a taste.

I never use Old Hops for Flavor addition, and aroma is gone, unless frozen.

If your looking for Flavor, and Aroma go with Current Hops.

Go with older Bulk hops for Bitterness, especially FirstWortHopping FWH!!!

JMHO YMMV
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Mr Nos,

I personally would never bulk buy a hop. Instead I would find a reliable supplier as close to the farm as you can get it and also learn at what times to buy what hops unless you know for sure how that supplier stores their hops.

Don't play around with this ingredient.

I can't remember/don't have time to list the the good Aussie suppliers atm. Send a few names through to me via PM and I'll let you know whether they are worth posting here and buying from.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 9 years ago
My opinion is more in line with joshua's. I buy all my hops in bulk, especially trying to buy them when the new year's crop is first available. It may be different here in the US, but we can buy 1 lb (454g) in bulk that is nitrogen purged and vacuum sealed. I think they can be used for 1-2 years with negligible degradation if kept vacuum sealed and in the freezer. Since there are so many great AU/NZ hops, I would expect that your options are similar. We are both probably in the same position for buying European Noble hops. I would generally try to buy the latest year crop, but Ni purged, sealed, unopened, and properly cold stored hops probably keep for several years with virtually no degradation.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 9 years ago
I found a pretty good deal for bulk hops but I would have to break it up into separate vacuum sealed bags. Im lucky if I get to brew 10 times a year and so far I havnt brewed the same beer twice so might be better off buying what I need and shopping around. If I can get a few house brews sorted thatay change. I am going to a hop festival at the end of next month which includes a bus tour around some hop farms so I am hoping to get some good info there.

Post #7 made 9 years ago
Yeah, I just want to jump back in here and give a little more detail and correct myself a bit as well....

Firstly, I have seen one bulk hop buy go horribly wrong on quality. So, unless you know exactly what you are buying and have had someone else test those hops, then there will be a risk.

Secondly (and this is the correction), maybe hold off on buying new season hops for a month or two until you know they have been tested. I have bought $70 worth of Amarillo hops from what I later found was the crappiest harvest ever. The beers I brewed with it tasted nothing like the Amarillo I knew.

:cry:
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8 made 9 years ago
Ill buy only what I need for now but ill be looking at the price of course. Which makes me wonder...the best price I can find also "sounds" like the freshest one too but they sell by the gram? Obiously they dont just have them lose sitting in big bins and then weight them out but it would still require a huge turnover to be fresh? Do they ce in kilo bags from the grower? Ill have lots to ask at the hop festival.

Cwier, I had to look up nitrogen purged hops. I think I have heard of it but I wouldnt know if the hops im buying are or not. I might have to asl the question.

Post #9 made 9 years ago
500g would be a huge bulk buy for me Pat. Im sure its chiken feed for some.

Return to “Hops”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 9 guests