Post #3 made 8 years ago
Indie is Good, but I have trouble with the "220" pound Sizing, I like the Yakima "1" pound prices.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 8 years ago
Oh. Yakima will sell by 1 Pound at a time to home brewers...? That's nice.

At least in flower form (and for whatever reason I always prefer flower over pellets...pellets just don't seem as "natural"), Indie sells Mini-Bales - which from recollection are 12 lbs. granted that is still a chunk for a Homebrewer. But piece of cake for having some local homebrew buddies or a local club split up between them (or a small Brewer not have to buy a whole bale).

I got about 12 ounces packed in a large ziplock bag from a small local microbrewery. Owner sold me some of his Indie because I was having trouble sourcing them other ways. Anyhow, the quality of the Santiam hops from him was Outstanding!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 8 years ago
joshua wrote:Indie is Good, but I have trouble with the "220" pound Sizing, I like the Yakima "1" pound prices.
I think that is just their price structure. They charge so much per lb for less than 220lb, but you can save on quantities greater than 220lb.

There are no minimum orders unless specified .. http://www.indiehops.com/pdf//IH_contract_pricing.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Selections seem limited, but I may grab some from them on my next order. Looks like I can save a few bucks per lb on certain hops. I usually buy from yakima myself.
Last edited by Rick on 30 Oct 2015, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 8 years ago
Yeah they have no problem selling to individuals (I emailed them) but you have to get a mini-bale at least. Pricing per pound seemed really good... If you have a few buddies to split the order with...?

Post #7 made 8 years ago
Scott wrote:Yeah they have no problem selling to individuals (I emailed them) but you have to get a mini-bale at least. Pricing per pound seemed really good... If you have a few buddies to split the order with...?
Mini-bale ... even for the pellets? Hmm, I don't know that I would want that much of any in the spot purchase category. Maybe if they had columbus in there at some point, I could go through 11lb of that pretty easily in a year or 2.
Last edited by Rick on 31 Oct 2015, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8 made 8 years ago
Don't know about pellets...haven't looked. But probably. Yeah 12 lbs. is a chunk for one person. Would want to partner with a few other guys on a purchase, in my opinion.

Post #9 made 8 years ago
I don't want to take this off topic, but have you read this by brulosophy?

OK, I understand it is only one type of hop and one experiment but it made me think :think:
Last edited by mally on 31 Oct 2015, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #10 made 8 years ago
Mally, Good Point!

Plus you can save a few Bucks(us) on Last years Crop(per Pound(us)).
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.

Post #11 made 8 years ago
mally wrote:I don't want to take this off topic, but have you read this by brulosophy?

OK, I understand it is only one type of hop and one experiment but it made me think :think:

So far, I have many varieties that are 2.5 years old, stored frozen in vacuum sealed mason jars. They are still smelling fresh as the day I got them, all except a 1 yr old batch of galaxy that fell off noticeably.

I would estimate that I have 7-8lbs in stock at any given time. As long as I had the freezer space, I would have no problems quadrupling that.
Last edited by Rick on 02 Nov 2015, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.

Post #13 made 7 years ago
About half the time, LHBS.

Bought some hops recently (8 oz of Sterling) from MoreBeer. Had to take pellets... Really I prefer flower provided its high quality. Price if buying 8 oz seemed fair...but have to pay shipping and LHBS you don't.

Have been able to buy from a local brewery before... Hard to find quality Santiam hops and brewer had some awesome IndieHops "flower" hops, was willing to sell me about 3/4 a pound. IndieHops is willing to sell as small as a Mini Bale - but that's 12 pounds, so no way that works unless you get several or maybe a dozen guys willing to split it up.

Post #14 made 7 years ago
I'm grateful for the LHBS that we have. It is a hardware store. :sneak: A beer club member runs it and has a very small section in the store for this. He orders from BSG distributors out of Atlanta GA. You can order a sack of grain, 1# packs of grain, etc. Hops can be ordered in 1 oz. bags. 4 - 1 oz. packs cost me $16 last time.

http://bsghandcraft.com/index.php/hops/ ... -1-oz.html

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/craftbrewing-malt

BSG and Hops Direct are ones I'm familiar with, Hops Direct is by the pound.
https://www.usahops.org/hop-finder/merc ... tacts.html

I messaged a beer club buddy who is one of the two master brewers at Nivol Brewery; https://www.facebook.com/Nivolbrewery/ , our new brewery in Panama City Beach. They not as yet sell hops. Good idea Scott.

https://www.facebook.com/Nivolbrewery/p ... =3&theater

Post #15 made 7 years ago
I just ordered 1 pound of Centennial leaf hops from the 2016 harvest from Hops Direct, postage about the same cost as the hops. I'll be brewing Bell's Two Hearted for a while now. The grain bill is about the same as Rogue Dead Guy as far as I can tell. Thanks Scott for the inspiration.

MS

Post #16 made 7 years ago
Well, glad I was able to help inspire on this one MS.

I have to say it is a little bit uncomfortable to ask a Brewer to sell you hops, because you know it's a pain in the butt for them.

Post #17 made 7 years ago
Mad_Scientist,

I see you have brewed with Sterling quite a bit... From doing a forum search, looks like you are using Sterling hops for your brew based on Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. (Rogue says they use "Revolution & Independent" hops...not sure where you would get them; never heard of these hops before...except seeing the signs in front of the hop bines when I drive up to Rogue Farms...about 10 miles away from my home "as the crow flies"). ;)

Recently I bought 8 ounces of Sterling Hops from MoreBeer (as noted in the post above). Sterling is supposed to be the US hop that fairly closely mimics the taste of Saaz, and I was intrigued with how it would taste. Brewed two brews with it, a "Czech Pilsner" that I just kegged last weekend, and a "Dark Czech Lager" that is still in the fermenter.

Today I changed the name of the Czech Pilsner to "Sterling Bohemian Lager", as the name seems to fit the beer a little better... Now, it's way young at this point. A lager that has been in the keg only 6 days as of yesterday. FG finished at 1.015 - pretty high - after 2 1/2 weeks in the fermenter before cold crash (was anticipating 1.013). So just a tad sweet... And there is a definite Citrus fragrance & taste - smell of hop pellets and beer taste. It honestly reminds me a bunch of Centennial (not quite as citrusy as Cascade, more orangey rather than lemony). I think people will like the brew, for sure...but really doesn't taste like a Czech Pilsner. Like a combination of a Bohemian Pilsner and an American Pale Ale...and with it not really being fully carbed yet, maybe even more of a wheat ale like Blue Moon because more of an "orange" tasting citrus. So think a mix of all the above... It should get much better with a month or more in the keg. I like it but not sure exactly what I think about it...ask me in a couple months. :smoke:

But anyhow, I had never worked with Sterling before, and can see in the info - citrus is a flavor that is supposed to be slightly there, but citrus is supposed to be very slight, and I'd say mine tastes a little stronger of "orange". Wondered what your take of Sterling was, and if your experience matches what mine has been so far? :scratch:
Last edited by Scott on 07 Nov 2016, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.

Post #18 made 7 years ago
Scott, you would be more apt to tell with your two brews than with my Dead Guy really. Dead Guy for me is about malt forward, low IBU. I can't distinguish anything coming from the hops. Once I brewed it with a 54 IBU and the hops were more up front and I enjoyed that batch.

Please follow up when you have finished beers :)

I think the only way to find out about the Rogue hops is to jump the fence on night ;) , but it's just their way of making is sound something more than it is.

Dead Guy used to taste good to me on draft in Corvallis back in 2006, but now it doesn't. I think we make it better.

I'll be making a modified Bell's Two Hearted with my Dead Guy grain bill, but with 84%, 10%, 6% blend.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Return to “Hops”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 11 guests