Disaster

Post #1 made 6 years ago
I don't want to scare anyone but:-

I went to great lengths to set up and store yeast in slants and I was painfully hygenic using A septic techniques.

I've just had to throw away 46 litres as it turned the wort into the worst thing imaginable.

I've given up trying to store yeast.
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Re: Disaster

Post #2 made 6 years ago
Hi Phillip,

I normally try to save “sloppy slurry”of yeast, in cleaned and sanitized jars. Try to fill the containers as full as possible to reduce potential for oxidization. It works pretty well. Sometimes great. Have had some occasions when making Yeast starter that it did not smell “right” and chose to throw it out rather than risk contamination of brew...

Too bad that you lost an entire batch of beer... Lesson learned, I guess. :dunno:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 6 years ago
Thanx for the replies Scott and Mad-scientist.

Scott, I've harvested yeast and stored it in glass jars turned upside down to prevent air getting in them. It also worked quite well but I would not store them for more than 3 weeks. (use in two weeks is better)

Mad-Scientist, The slants were kept in the chiller. I've also tried to freeze the yeast in a solution of Agar Agar. I followed the instructions to the letter and it was all a disaster.

I won't be storing yeast in slants or freezing it anymore.

It was a double batch I had to throw away = 46 Litres = 12.15 US Gallons
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Post #5 made 6 years ago
FYI - I have stored sloppy slurry and reconstituted up to 1-year. Used multiple yeast starters. It worked in at least one case. Frequently save in 3-6 month timeframe, multiple times. Normally works with using yeast starters. Occasionally problems where something doesn’t seem right and I discard and start over with fresh yeast.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 6 years ago
Philip and anyone who is re-using yeast, two things...

1. Always smell the yeast before you pitch it.
2. Always taste it before you pitch it.

If there is something wrong, in my experience, one or both of those tests will reveal it.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Yeasts”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 11 guests