White Labs WLP800

Post #1 made 9 years ago
I thought I would pass on some experiences of using this yeast.
It is only the 2nd time I have brewed with it, so I have by no means mastered it. If anybody else has had experience of it then please add to the thread.
WLP800 is a Pilsner Urquell strain of lager yeast see here for the White Labs web page.

My first encounter with it was quite volatile. I was perparing the "starter" process, came to uncap it and half of the contents erupted all over the worktop. Not best pleased :angry: . I am trying to increase the population and half of them decide to be lemmings and jump off the cliff!

Nevermind, I will probably just need to do an extra step in the starter process to get a good enough pitchable quantity.
The good news is that brew went on to complete without any huge problems.
I washed and stored the yeast for further use as I always tend do.

Approximately 3 months later I decide to try another brew with this strain. As the washed yeast has been stored for a long time I decided to use a starter again to check viability.
So approx 200 ml of almost solid slurry goes into 1L 1.040 DME in a 2L conical flask on the stir plate. I cannot temp control this (unfortunately) so it is "breeding" at room temp.
When I came back home from visitng family (approx. 5 or so hours later) half of this population had become lemmings too. Yep, It had erupted out of the flask all over the worktop again, never mind I thought, I am used to doing extra steps in the starter process!

For this brew I pitched the starter & wort at approx 5-6C, placed in the fridge and set the temp for 8C. OG was 1.044 and after 2 weeks it had come down to 1.030. Moving along nicely. I then decided to raise the temp to 11C as it was between 1/3rd and half way complete. I checked the gravity again after 1 more week and it had come down to 1.014. This is great I thought, everything is going as planned. Time for a Diacetyl rest maybe? Probably doesnt need one but it is nearly finished what the hell, so I set the temp to 13.5 C (I don't want to go too high I am not that much of a rebel), anyway I checked the fermenter after just one day at 13.5C and this is what I saw...

wlp800_1.jpg
wlp800_2.jpg
I have no idea what the FG will be and it is said to attenuate low (72-77%), but I didnt expect that much more activity! It had blown the lid off the fermenter even with that much headspace :o

If anybody is thinking of using this yeast it is quite a weird strain. If you look at the pic you would think it was an ale yeast, however, it is a top fermenting lager yeast.
It should come with a warning like the Gremlins did, do not feed it whilst warm, at midnight etc!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 14 Jun 2014, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Thanks Joshua, you get the 1st comment in 3 months award! :clap: :lol:

The 1st batch I brewed with it is much better than the one pictured. Both are drinkable but nothing special.
I can't see me using this strain again. Flavours seem odd and take an eternity to condition.

I have since gone back to my S-189 that I got shipped over from Craftbrewer (AUS) 2 years ago.
Of the lager yeasts I have tried (W34/70, WLP800, Coopers lager yeast (whatever that is) and S-189), it is by far the best.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Thank you Mally, I have been looking into some of the "Super Yeasts" and I was wondering how they Do.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Yeasts”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 10 guests