Yeast starter in a 1ltr cube

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Hello all,

I'm new to AG brewing no chiller so I thought I'd try no-chill, I've got a 35ltr kettle with a tap, some silicon hose and will shortly be acquiring a 1ltr and 25ltr cube with some spare caps. This was going to be my plan of action.

1. After the boil add my aroma hops and leave until cooled to about 90°c.
2. Drain approx 500ml of wort into my sanitized 1ltr cube the rest into my 25ltr.
3. Add the yeast to 1ltr starter cube (at correct temp)and fit spare cap with airlock.
4. After 24 hrs add starter to 25ltr cube fit spare cap with airlock and ferment.
5. Once fermentation is complete rack to secondary, after a couple of days bottle.

As I say I'm somewhat of a newbie so any advice would be very much appreciated.

A few questions that I can think of, is it ok to ferment in the cube I've only got one other fermenter and I was going to use that as my secondary, will I have to top up the starter with some boiled water to reduce the gravity.

Cheers
Neil

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Neil wrote: A few questions that I can think of, is it ok to ferment in the cube I've only got one other fermenter and I was going to use that as my secondary, will I have to top up the starter with some boiled water to reduce the gravity.
Welcome Neil, I know fermenting in the cube is done by many, such as BobBrews. Here is a current discussion going on; viewtopic.php?f=89&t=2072#p29916

Here is a good link for diluting your starter, if higher than a 1.040; http://www.brewersfriend.com/dilution-a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... alculator/
Using that first calculator, type in your ml size of the starter and the gravities. A 1.040 is common for the 'desired gravity'.
~richard
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 10 Apr 2013, 03:42, edited 2 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Yeasts”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 24 guests