Post #26 made 10 years ago
Shib,

Im a dry yeast guy.
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #28 made 10 years ago
Thanks Mad and Shib,

My mother is in town, so I have not read you post Mad, But Ill get to it.

Trout
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Re: Real Wort Starter?

Post #29 made 7 years ago
I'm planning out two identical grain bills of Stout to ferment at the same time in separate F.Vs. both with Wyeast Irish Ale 1084. One Pride of Ringwood, the other Fuggles.
I've only used a smack pack once before (whole thing all in), and wanted to split this one for the two starters using 1L of post boil/pre no chill cube wort from each of the batches I'll be fermenting. O.G is 1.047, so I'll dilute a little down to 1.040.
I like the idea of using the same wort it's going into and wanted to try this as it seems perfect for this situation with the two batches.

If this fails I've got another pack of the same in the fridge to try again.
If it works I'll back it up with another double batch of the same and settle in for the rest of the year with what will be my standard go to from the fridge.
Seriously looking a a stir plate and a couple of flasks lately, and reading up on harvesting. Next step will be trying my hand at harvesting from some Coopers Stout big browns.

$15 a smack pack is a little too much. I'm stingy with some things, and the nearest supplier is 4+1/2 hours away.
Seeing a real need to be semi self sufficient for yeast.
Stout, Stout, Stout, and some other stuff...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Return to “Yeasts”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 22 guests