Yeasty's Yeast Slants (slopes)

Post #1 made 12 years ago
I've just made some slants to save yeast cultures on. Easier than I thought :shoot: just letting them prove for a couple of days to see if I've been sterile enough.
The main reason for this is to save some of the liquid yeast I've got. Its £6 ish a vial and I'd like it to last more than one brew.

Pictures below for those who can't read. :)
Last edited by Yeasty on 22 Mar 2012, 17:37, edited 4 times in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 12 years ago
Yeasty

Nice pictures. Someday I might have a go at it? Do you do jams and jellies also?
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 12 years ago
Yeasty
Nice one! Are you going to store these in the freezer? I've also been wanting to make slants but I haven't found an idiot proof guide yet! Any links/advice?

B
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Swaziland

Post #4 made 12 years ago
BobBrews wrote:Yeasty

Nice pictures. Someday I might have a go at it? Do you do jams and jellies also?
Hop jam or jelly :yum: :yum: leave that one to you Bob.. :lol:
lambert wrote:Yeasty
Nice one! Are you going to store these in the freezer? I've also been wanting to make slants but I haven't found an idiot proof guide yet! Any links/advice?

B
I followeed this guide Here its on Jims site. I've PDF'd the important bits for ease of printing. I've asked the author if he doesn't mind me sharing. If he's ok with that I'll post the file.

:salute:

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 22 Mar 2012, 21:24, edited 3 times in total.

Post #7 made 12 years ago
hashie wrote:Nice work Yeasty, although having the word FAIL so prominent in the pictures doesn't instill a lot of confidence :)
I was thinking the same thing...sterile enough....FAIL :nup:

So how do you innoculate the slants once you've finished? I tried the freezing yeast in gelatin recently with mixed results. Mixed results being that half have frozen while the other half seem like theyre ok. I have tried to start them yet
Last edited by Aces high on 23 Mar 2012, 06:10, edited 3 times in total.

Post #8 made 12 years ago
Aces high wrote:
hashie wrote:Nice work Yeasty, although having the word FAIL so prominent in the pictures doesn't instill a lot of confidence :)
I was thinking the same thing...sterile enough....FAIL :nup:

So how do you innoculate the slants once you've finished? I tried the freezing yeast in gelatin recently with mixed results. Mixed results being that half have frozen while the other half seem like theyre ok. I have tried to start them yet
FFS its like being back in school.... :lol:

I'll innoculate them with a wire loop once I'm happy they are sterile..I'm just practicing at the moment, I've got some washed yeast in the fridge and a bottle of Coniston Bluebird I'm going to culture up from the dregs.

I've read a couple of threads about freezing, it seems a Yeast/water/Glycerin ratio of 50/25/25% is the way to go. What was your ratio's seems strange half have frozen whilst the other half haven't..
Last edited by Yeasty on 23 Mar 2012, 06:43, edited 3 times in total.

Post #9 made 12 years ago
Yeasty wrote: I've read a couple of threads about freezing, it seems a Yeast/water/Glycerin ratio of 50/25/25% is the way to go. What was your ratio's seems strange half have frozen whilst the other half haven't..
From memory I was working on that ratio, Im just wondering if the water and geletin weren't mixed completely before they went into the sample containers. Im gonna try starting one up soon and see if it worked
Last edited by Aces high on 23 Mar 2012, 12:24, edited 3 times in total.

Post #10 made 12 years ago
Aces high wrote: Im just wondering if the water and geletin weren't mixed completely
I see you said geletin, all the threads I've read used glycerine. I've never heard of geletin being used.
Last edited by Yeasty on 23 Mar 2012, 15:52, edited 3 times in total.

Post #11 made 12 years ago
Aces high wrote:
Yeasty wrote: I've read a couple of threads about freezing, it seems a Yeast/water/Glycerin ratio of 50/25/25% is the way to go. What was your ratio's seems strange half have frozen whilst the other half haven't..
From memory I was working on that ratio, Im just wondering if the water and geletin weren't mixed completely before they went into the sample containers. Im gonna try starting one up soon and see if it worked
Glycerin and gelatin are not the same thing .
Last edited by shibolet on 23 Mar 2012, 16:20, edited 3 times in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #12 made 12 years ago
Just to comment something about sterilization of the slants.
A friend of mine has finished a phd on saccharomyces cerevisiae
and she has researched slants too and she said me that most of
her slants got contaminated.

After carefully collecting from the part of the slant that was not
infected with a sterilized "thingy" for collecting yeast, she cultured
the yeast and she certified that you can get a "clean" strain out of a
contaminated slant.

*She made slants with agar agar

Post #14 made 12 years ago
Lars wrote:I froze some rinsed yeast last September using 50/25/25, yeast water glycerine . I'll be reviving some soon for an ipa. Can't wait to try it.
There's some great info on homebrewtalk
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. ... zing_yeast
L
Do it know !!!! :lol:

Keep us informed. I think freezing is less hassle than slants and carries less risk of contamination. I'm gonna order more test tubes and give it a go as well..
Last edited by Yeasty on 24 Mar 2012, 20:54, edited 3 times in total.

Post #15 made 12 years ago
Yeasty wrote:
Aces high wrote: Im just wondering if the water and geletin weren't mixed completely
I see you said geletin, all the threads I've read used glycerine. I've never heard of geletin being used.
sorry, i ment glycerine...not geletin
Last edited by Aces high on 24 Mar 2012, 22:08, edited 3 times in total.

Post #17 made 12 years ago
Lars wrote:Ok yeasty, they're out of the freezer, few days at fridge temp, then a day at room temp and into a starter. I'm more excited than optimistic because it was one of the first yeasts I rinsed and it most likely contains a lot of trub..... We'll see....

L
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fecking great.. Love it..

I'm going to culture a Coniston bluebird tomorrow, I'll pick up some glycerine and freeze some.
Last edited by Yeasty on 25 Mar 2012, 06:26, edited 3 times in total.

Post #18 made 12 years ago
Good on you Yeasty (and Lars). Lol on the going back to school bit :lol:.

Beachbum wrote a great thread on freezing yeast here.

Maybe that will help?
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 27 Mar 2012, 17:00, edited 3 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #19 made 12 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:Good on you Yeasty (and Lars). Lol on the going back to school bit :lol:.

Beachbum wrote a great thread on freezing yeast here.

Maybe that will help?
PP
Hi PP

I've seen that thread and gave it a bump earlier in the month. I found the original thread on AHB and I think the original experiment was a failure, probably down to Yeast/Glycerine/water ratio's. I'll have to do some more research (I'll start by reading the rest of the AHB thread :idiot: ) I've just scored a free second hand freezer so may give it a try before its converted to a kegerator.

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 27 Mar 2012, 17:43, edited 3 times in total.

Post #20 made 12 years ago
Wow! Be great to update that thread. Tell BeachBum to stop being slack and do an update - lol!

Nice score on the freezer ;)
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #21 made 12 years ago
Not too sure about this, I revived it in a slightly weak solution of DME and water, about 25g DME to 300ml water. Refrigerated overnight, decanted, and topped up with 600ml water to 55g DME . It's swirling away on my DIY stirplate. I'm not sure how successful it is. Broke my hydrometer on my last brew so I can't check the gravity. A fine krausen ring formed on the 300ml batch, but the liquid didn't settle out very well in the fridge and there was a banana flavour off the decanted liquid, probably because it fermented in the high 20s. The 600ml is swirling away right now, will see what happens.....

L

Post #23 made 12 years ago
:clap: Lars

Looks like its survived the freezing. :thumbs: All my slants are still clear so I'm going to inoculate some this weekend.

Post #24 made 12 years ago
Hi Yeasty, without reading a load of stuff on slants can u tell me us it a big deal getting to a pitchable volume from a slant? Reason I'm asking is that I bought a slant from brewlab.co.uk and they instructed me to revive it in 300ml and step up to 600ml for a 20l batch. It was no trouble at all. But I think I read somewhere that slants are meant to be tedious to revive to pitchable volumes?

Thanks

L

Post #25 made 12 years ago
Lars wrote:Hi Yeasty, without reading a load of stuff on slants can u tell me us it a big deal getting to a pitchable volume from a slant? Reason I'm asking is that I bought a slant from brewlab.co.uk and they instructed me to revive it in 300ml and step up to 600ml for a 20l batch. It was no trouble at all. But I think I read somewhere that slants are meant to be tedious to revive to pitchable volumes?

Thanks

L
From what I've read some guys use the same slant multiple times, selecting individual colonies and stepping these up. I can't see the difference between a brewlab slant and one of your own apart from brewlabs should be a more professional product and may have more colonies.
Last edited by Yeasty on 01 Apr 2012, 05:12, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Yeasts”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 20 guests