The Old Speckled Hen (clone)

Post #1 made 13 years ago
OVERVIEW

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
Name: The Old Speckled Hen (clone)
Yeast: Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast
Fermentation Temperature: 16°C
Original Gravity: 1.053
Total IBU's: 38.4
Colour (EBC): 27.5
Efficiency at End of Boil: 81%
Mash Length (mins): 90
Boil Length (mins): 90
Your Vessel Type (Pot/Keggle/Urn): Keggle
Source/Credits:
Notes/Instructions/Comments: A very malty example of an English Pale Ale, Great drink on a winters night.

Volumes etc.

Your Vessel Volume (L or gal): 50 L
Your Vessel Diameter (cm or in): 36 cm
Water Required (L or gal): 37 L
Mash Temperature (C or F): 64°C
Volume at End of Boil (L or gal): 27.0 L
Volume into Fermenter (L or gal): 23 L
Brew Length (L or gal): 21.3 L
Total Grain Bill (g or oz): 5160 g

Grains - Colours - Percentages and/or Weight (g or oz)

Grain 1: Maris Otter - 5.9 EBC - 89.15% or 4,600 g
Grain 2: Dark Crystal - 236.4 EBC - 10.85% or 560 g

Hops - AA% - IBUs - Weight (g or oz) at Minutes

Hop 1: Northern Brewer - 9.5AA% - 35 IBUs - 40 g at 60 min
Hop 2: East Kent Goldings - 3.8AA% - 3.4 IBUs - 20 g at 15 min
Hop 3: East Kent Goldings - 3.8AA% - 0.9 IBUs - 15 g at 5 min

Adjuncts/Minerals/Finings etc

Adjunct:Lyle's Golde Syrup - 454g - 5 min
Salt - 1 teaspoon

If I could only brew 1 beer, this would be it. Lovely, rich, malty and big bodied, but don't drink too much, it bights.

ADMIN NOTE: Pre-Release BIABacus file added below 17th July 2013.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hashie on 03 Jun 2011, 07:21, edited 5 times in total.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #2 made 13 years ago
When do you add the salt? The mash?
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #4 made 13 years ago
Hi hashie

Thanks. Looks an interesting brew, bit strong for me though, so will look at a slightly lower OG and use a mixture of CaraAroma and CaraAmber to obtain the colour.

Looked it in up in the British Real Ale Book their recipe uses sugar in place of the T&L syrup.Says Richly coloured and fruit flavoured strong ale (their recipe 1.050 OG) with generous hop support. Superb floral Goldings hop aroma. Full Malt and hops in the mouth; long dry finish with hops and delicate fruit notes.

Given that description might try 1450PC as the yeast.

Don't know why you would want to add salt, but if it works.

Post #5 made 13 years ago
Thanks Ian, I don't know why I add the salt either to be honest :shrug: But it helps to accentuate the maltiness of a brew. It'd probably be just as good without, but I put it in, so it goes in the recipe.

Post #6 made 13 years ago
Hashie, what's your usual FG for this recipe?
i ask, as you write that it's malty yet the mash temp is quite low.
using Nottingham, i would expect an FG of under 1.010
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #7 made 13 years ago
Hi shib, on my last brew FG was 1008.

Mash at 64°C is correct for my thermometer. It could be out :shrug: but if I mash any higher, according to it, my beers are too sweet.

Post #8 made 12 years ago
Done my version of this (based on ingredients I had).

Grains mash at 64C
Ale Malt 3.50 kg
CaraAmber 0.20 kg
CaraAroma 0.10 kg
CaraPils 0.20 kg
ADJ Golden Syrup 0.40 kg

Hops
Super Alpha 16 g 60 Mins
Styrian Golding 20 g 20 Mins
Styrian Golding 20 g DRY HOPPED

Predicted OG 1.045 IBU 31.8
FG 1.009 EBC 18.0
%alc Bottle 5.1

Using 1768PC as yeast, currently in the fermenter and plan to bottle the batch so I can use some as yeast starters.

cheers

Ian

Post #9 made 12 years ago
I don't get it.How is ian's recipe a version of the OP's?Other than the syrup I don't see any similarity? I am not diss'n anyone I just want to know!
AWOL

Post #10 made 12 years ago
Good question and probably fair comment.

"Old Speckled Hen" has a full, smooth flavour and is very easy to drink. Its rich amber colour and superb fruity aromas are complemented by a delicious blend of malty tastes.

Toffee and malt combine with bitterness on the back of the tongue to give a balanced sweetness. This is followed by a refreshingly dry finish".

Should have used Goldings. I will get a different hop flavour and aroma as didn't use (have) Kent Goldings and Styrian Goldings are more like Fuggles, will use next time.

But I have a blend of malts, rich amber colour mashed at 64C for the dry finish. Was originally going to use 1450PC as the yeast but used 1768PC instead, if I had used the former would have given a drier finish.

The recipe in the British real Ale book uses a mixture of crystal and black malt and sugar instead of syrup plus has a lot less flavour and aroma hops and mashes at 66C.

But to be a true clone the OG must be 1050 as the beer was brewed at a gravity of 1050 to denote 50 years (i.e. 1929 - 1979) of production of MG cars in Abingdon.

cheers

Ian

Post #11 made 12 years ago
I was pretty much settled on OSH as my next brew.I really have no idea what the original tastes like,but have heard the name bandied about so much I though I would give it a try.
"Old Speckled Hen" has a full, smooth flavour and is very easy to drink. Its rich amber colour and superb fruity aromas are complemented by a delicious blend of malty tastes.

The description I qouted above can be found in many recipe descriptions other than OSH.
Sorry,I don't mean to be a PIA (maybe I just can't help it) but I am just trying to get my head around some styles and there origins.
AWOL

Post #12 made 12 years ago
Best way to get your head around styles is to try them.

Last year I went to a local bottle shop and bought a few different beers, mostly, from around Europe. From these I liked what I liked and tried brewing those that I liked. OSH has been the most successful.

Here are the beers I sampled + a bottle of port :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #13 made 12 years ago
I wish. :sad: Here in rural western Canada these beers are not easily found.
On the other side of the coin Superior Canadian 2 row costs about 40 cents a pound! :P
When I travel I seek out good beer stores and try almost anything that I haven't tasted before.Actually this is how I learned that I don't like heavily hopped beers (sorry BobBrews) and that not all IPA's are really heavily hopped.
I also noticed that most of the beers that I didn't care for were lagers!
Hmmm I guess I don't really need a chamber!(see signature)
Last edited by Lylo on 14 Jul 2011, 08:28, edited 5 times in total.
AWOL

Post #14 made 12 years ago
I hate to sound elitist or snobby about this, but you have not tasted OSH until you've had it from the cask in the UK. The bottles are nothing compared to it, in fact I don't even like the bottles and the cask is one of my favourite mass produced real ales.
http://beernvictuals.blogspot.com/ My blog, If you like what you read post a comment on the blog comments section thanks, BIAB post coming soon.

Post #16 made 12 years ago
Lylo wrote:I would taste it out of a dirty toilet bowl at a Grateful Dead concert if it was available. :yum:

If you drank out of the toilet bowl at a dead concert it's possible you'd have to take no other psychoactives for a week or two....:)
Last edited by EoinMag on 14 Jul 2011, 20:47, edited 5 times in total.
http://beernvictuals.blogspot.com/ My blog, If you like what you read post a comment on the blog comments section thanks, BIAB post coming soon.

Post #17 made 12 years ago
hashie wrote:Best way to get your head around styles is to try them.

Last year I went to a local bottle shop and bought a few different beers, mostly, from around Europe. From these I liked what I liked and tried brewing those that I liked. OSH has been the most successful.

Here are the beers I sampled + a bottle of port :)
Only one I haven't tried is bombardier :)

Youngs double choc stout is my favourite :-9
Last edited by stux on 14 Jul 2011, 23:05, edited 5 times in total.
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda

5/7/12

Post #18 made 12 years ago
Lylo,

When in edmonton go to Sherbrooke liquor store, 118ave and St. albert Trail. I know you're more than a hop and a skip away, you probably heard of it already, but it has hundreds of labels from around the world.

I have to say that I've tried almost all of those in the pic above thanks to sherbrooke. But bring a lot of cash with you, you'll want to buy it ALL!

Another thing is they have a beer club where they send you a bottle to a six pack (depending on cost/avail.) right to your door and they have a lot of rare/expensive beers to give out...

Post #19 made 12 years ago
stux wrote:

The double choc stout was very nice, I must have a go at making it one of these days.

The Bombardier was also a very good beer, I think. I must get another bottle and try it again :drink:
Last edited by hashie on 15 Jul 2011, 06:34, edited 5 times in total.

Post #21 made 12 years ago
hashie wrote:
stux wrote:

The double choc stout was very nice, I must have a go at making it one of these days.

The Bombardier was also a very good beer, I think. I must get another bottle and try it again :drink:
Lmk if you work out a nice recipe :)

Trick is very to no roastyness I think
Last edited by stux on 15 Jul 2011, 10:12, edited 5 times in total.

5/7/12

Post #22 made 12 years ago
So am doing this one today. Still on the boil. Quite pumped really. Love the original on tap so keen to see how it turns out. Didn't read the recipe though and added the golden syrup early at the start of the boil. Hopefully it doesn't make too much of a difference. Used Amarillo as it was what I had on hand as the bittering addition... Same type of AA, so we shall see :think: . Am going to repitch some Ringwood I have on hand from a Landlord clone I bottled this morning.
Big brew day.

Thanks for the recipe. :clap:

Post #23 made 12 years ago
Good on you Mattfos, I hope it turns out well for you. It's one of my favourites :)

Putting the syrup in early isn't a bother, not putting it in until after the boil is, I did that once :(

Let us know how it turns out.

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 30 guests