Duvel Clone?

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Hello everyone,

Still making my first steps in Brewing, but already have 6 brews under the belt. So far I haven't followed any recipe to the letter, I check a few recipes online for inspiration and adjust to my ingredients and equipment with BIABacus. I didn't have to flush any beer down the drain, so either it's working or I'm just stubborn  :angry:
Recently got a Anova sous vide controller, which works perfectly for controlling mash temperature in my stove top setup. It helps me feel prepared to brew something a bit more complex, especially knowing the temperature control of the mash is under control. Next step is to get temperature control on the fermentation, but I guess I can brew a lot of Ales before considering it  :drink:
Duvel is one of my favorite beers of all time and I'd like to try to brew something similar.
Anyone has a recipe (perhaps even a BIABacus file) to share?
cheers

Re: Duvel Clone?

Post #2 made 7 years ago
[left]bullshift - If you search biabrewer.info for Duvel, you get a dozen hits (including your post). No recipes, but the post that leads to yeast info is the one I find interesting: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php ... vel#p20933. If you Google "Duvel clone recipe", you'll get about 10 pages of hits. Combining the yeast from your own Duvel bottles in a starter and the ingredients that most of the recipes have in common seems like a good place to start filling in the BIABacus for your version.[/left]
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 7 years ago
Thanks ShorePoints!
Actually the number of pages and the diversity of recipes found was one of the reasons I decided to post. Too many options, so I was hoping to fish some BIAB experience out there. :lol:
Good suggestion for the yeast. I've never collected yeast from bottles yet, but sounds like a perfect excuse to drink a 6 pack of Duvel  :thumbs:

Cheers

Post #4 made 7 years ago
I have been wondering about my anova sous vide cooker and if it was possible to use for beer, but I read they don't like being submerged in anything but water... Have you had any issues cleaning it? I doubt I will end up using mine for beer anyway since I always do 6 gal batches, but I was curious. It sure makes a mean roast though, nothing like an inside round or blade roast coming out like a prime rib... Mmmmmm
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #5 made 7 years ago
Goulaigan,
I didn't cook any complicated food yet, just steaks, chicken breast and such... but that does sound like something I'll try soon!
 Anyway, I've done some googling and checked some youtube videos before trying the Anova for beer brewing. I have just used it for the mash, didn't try to use it for the boil part.
I tried to keep the brew bag away from it, by putting a small strainer in the propeller area, so that the bag doesn't get stuck. It seemed to go fine. I really liked using it for the mash, because I didn't have to stress about keeping temperature and, for the first time, I did a step mash. In theory, I could even control it from the couch, by setting the temperature from the phone.
To clean in the end, just removed all the pieces and cleaned the heating element. I was expecting it to be very dirty, but it was not so bad.
I'll certainly use it again for my next batches.
cheers

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 24 guests