Adaptation of American Brown Ale

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Hi guys, 
I am getting more and more excited with my brewings. I have tasted my second EPA smash and it is really good. I am bottling a wheat beer, that finally I did only with pale ale and wheat (I asked about using a little of Crystal Malt) and I am thinking of adapt an American Brown Ale of the book "Brewing Classic Styles". 
It is the recipe called "Janet's ABA". I attach the biabacus file and I expect for suggestions. 
I will brew it next week, hopefully. I know I push the limits of my kettle but I did so last times and I managed. 
Thank you very much. Hugs 

Juan Angel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Spain

Re: Adaptation of American Brown Ale

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Hi Juan,
Based on your file:
For the original recipe (Brewing Classic Styles book) the VAW you should use is21.82L, but in your BIABacus you are setting the desired IBU so you are ok here.
Little heavy on the two-row I would bring it down to ~65% and up the wheat based on the original recipe.
Hop substitutes look fine.
I would suggest reducing the VIF to minimize the water adjustments.  For example - VIF to 3.7L and just add 1L of water to fermentor, which would also help cool the wort.  Another option is to reduce the OG which will reduce the grain bill which reduce the mash volume (as long as you don’t mind reducing the ABV to ~5.8% vs the 6.4%).
But with that all said its your brew - post your results when you are done.
Pete
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 19 guests