Hop calculation/conversion.. what?

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi! This is my 5th brew, and I need help working out my recipe's hop amount for the type of hops I have purchased.

My recipe calls for:
3 AAUs Willamette pellet hops (0.66 oz. at 4.5% alpha acid)
1.33 AAUs Fuggle pellet hops (0.33 oz. at 4% alpha acid)
2 AAUs Fuggle pellet hops (0.50 oz. at 4% alpha acid)

The Willamette hops I have are 5.6 AAUs, and the Fuggles are 6.7 AAU. So I assume I have to use slightly less hops than what the recipe calls for.. what is the calculation to use?

Thanks!
Jeff

Post #2 made 9 years ago
Hi vonBobo,
I believe you're right in using less. Not sure about the calculation. If you have downloaded Biabacus use Section D. The Hop Bill. Put your original numbers into the left hand side of the section, then under Substitutions put in the numbers for actual AA% etc. I think you need to have all your volumes worked out first, then do the hops mods. If you want to upload your recipe in BIABacus form I would be happy to look at it, and it would give others (with more experience) a chance to comment. I played with one of my recipes using your hop bill and BIABacus yielded 0.06oz less for the Willamette, and 3.1oz & 4.7oz less for the Fuggles additions. This will be different for you depending on volumes etc, but gives you a gist of the magnitude.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 9 years ago
[This is a good question. blu-afro is on the right track but it is even simpler than you would think :o]

Welcome to the forum Jeff :salute:,

What we are looking at in any hop addition is the weight of alpha acids in that addition. This is based on the faulty assumption that all the other special oils and acids in the hop will be in the same proportion as whatever the original brewer's crop of hops was. It never is this way but AA% is the best we can make of this clumsiness so....

The original recipe had 0.66 oz * 4.5 AA% of the first hop addition (you can use metric as well). 0.66 * 4.5 = 2.97 AAU's (they rounded it to three)

The hops you bought are stronger (5.6AA%) so you should need less of them. In fact you need 2.97AAU's / 5.6AA% = 0.53 ozs of those first addition hops.

Use the same logic for the other additions, or better still, as bluafro mentioned, spend a small amount of time learning the BIABacus. Most software can't even do the above for you easily/automatically. The BIABacus does the above and a lot more. Just spend twenty minutes learning it by working through each section A to Z one at a time.

;)
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 20 guests