All-grain Paulaner Clone - German Wheatbeer

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Wish me luck - my 2nd wheatbeer, taken from http://goo.gl/E0co1D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and basically dumped into BIABacus. I've added a few different bits and bobs of advice I've picked up elsewhere into the recipe but it's basically the same bar the pitching and the yeast.
[center]BIABacus Pre-Release 1.3T RECIPE REPORT[/center]
[center]BIAB Recipe Designer, Calculator and Scaler.[/center]
[center](Please visit http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the latest version.)[/center]
[center]All-grain Paulaner Clone - Batch A0[/center]

Recipe Overview

Brewer: Tim_N
Style: German Wheatbeer
Source Recipe Link:
ABV: 5% (assumes any priming sugar used is diluted.)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052
IBU's (Tinseth): 15
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.29
Colour: 15.4 EBC = 7.8 SRM

Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 84.8 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 76.4 %

Note: This is a Multi-Step Mash - See 'Mash Steps' Below

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 20 mins at 48 C = 118.4 F
Boil: 90 min
Ferment: 14 days at 18 C = 64.4 F

Volumes & Gravities
(Note that VAW below is the Volume at Flame-Out (VFO) less shrinkage.)
The, "Clear Brewing Terminology," thread at http://www.biabrewer.info/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Total Water Needed (TWN): 40.12 L = 10.6 G
Volume into Boil (VIB): 37.92 L = 10.02 G @ 1.038
Volume of Ambient Wort (VAW): 26.64 L = 7.04 G @ 1.052
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 24 L = 6.34 G @ 1.052
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 22.22 L = 5.87 G @ 1.013 assuming apparent attenuation of 75 %

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)

Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to http://www.biabrewer.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (needs link)

54.8% Wheat Malt Light (5 EBC = 2.5 SRM) 3020 grams = 6.66 pounds
33.3% Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt (5 EBC = 2.5 SRM) 1838 grams = 4.05 pounds
4.8% Cara Munich Type 2 (130 EBC = 66 SRM) 263 grams = 0.58 pounds
7.1% Munich Malt (30 EBC = 15.2 SRM) 394 grams = 0.87 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

11.4 IBU Hall Mittlefruh Pellets (4.6%AA) 26.4 grams = 0.933 ounces at 60 mins
3.7 IBU Hall Mittlefruh Pellets (4.6%AA) 17.1 grams = 0.604 ounces at 15 mins

Mash Steps

Mash Type: Multi-Step Mash - First Step: Protein Rest for 20 mins at 48 C = 118.4 F

Strike Water Needed (SWN): 40.92 L = 10.81 G 48.4 C = 119.1 F
for 40 mins at 66 C = 150.8 F
for 10 mins at 75.5 C = 167.9 F

Mashout for for 0 mins at 78 C = 172.4 F

Miscellaneous Ingredients

0.63 Protofloc Tablet (Boil) 15 Mins - Clarity

Chilling & Hop Management Methods

Hopsock Used: Y

Chilling Method: Immersion Chiller (Employed 0 mins after boil end.)

Fermentation & Conditioning

Fermentation: WLP300 for 14 days at 18 C = 64.4 F

Secondary Used: N
Crash-Chilled: N
Filtered: N
Req. Volumes of CO2: 2.5
Serving Temp: 5 C = 41 F
Condition for 14 days.
Consume within 6 months.

Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer

"Water used - Tesco Ashbeck as previous water too high PH.
Gradual rise in temp after pitching at 12'C to 18'C over a period of 12 days to develop banana/clove flavours. Final conditioning at 20'C"
BIABacus PR1.3T - All-Grain Paulaner Clone - Batch A0 v3.xls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tim_n on 08 Jan 2015, 00:07, edited 2 times in total.

Post #2 made 9 years ago
Good luck.

I believe I had one of those before at an Oktoberfest, remember it was good.

Let us know how it goes fer ya...

MS
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Good luck Tim.
I did a Schneider Weisse a couple of years ago by using the yeast from the bottle see here.
Last edited by mally on 08 Jan 2015, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #5 made 9 years ago
mally wrote:Good luck Tim.
I did a Schneider Weisse a couple of years ago by using the yeast from the bottle see here.
Cheers Mally, I looked into yeast harvesting/reuse a little while ago, the stirrers etc made me think twice... it's like a whole different element of homebrewing which I'm not 100% sure I want to do... yet.

I don't think I brew enough. I perhaps need to look into freeze drying as I do have access to liquid nitrogen if I need it.
Last edited by tim_n on 08 Jan 2015, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Tim, change your VAW on the first line of Section D to 16.75 L.

[Please note that Hints does not reply to direct questions.]
Last edited by Hints on 08 Jan 2015, 19:38, edited 1 time in total.

Post #7 made 9 years ago
Hints wrote:Tim, change your VAW on the first line of Section D to 16.75 L.

[Please note that Hints does not reply to direct questions.]
It didn't make sense till I looked at the original recipe - yes, basically I was entering VIP not VAW I assume! Have updated the sheet, thanks for the review.
Last edited by tim_n on 08 Jan 2015, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

Post #8 made 9 years ago
Hi Tim id be wary of pitching at 12 and gradual rise to 18 as in your notes. I recently brewer a wheatbeer 50/50 pils/wheat malt and i fermented at 16C as is recommended in Brewing Classic Styles. I like the banana to be very subtle in my wheat beers but this liw temp completely killed it and its not quite right. Next time ill be going for 18C fermentation all the way. I used white labs yeast. It wasnt wlp300. It was the other one, cant remember number right now

Post #15 made 7 years ago
flhb wrote:Brewing this today, I'll post later how it went.
How'd it go? Be interested if you can remember your OG etc.
Last edited by tim_n on 12 Jul 2016, 04:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post #16 made 7 years ago
tim_n wrote: How'd it go? Be interested if you can remember your OG etc.
Well, it went okay but I had a few problems. First, I found my hydrometer broken so I wasn't able to record any gravity measurements. Then when it came time to keg, I think I over carbonated it because there was some sort of off-flavor that I think was carbonic acid that I could never get rid of so I ended up dumping the about 3-gallons.

I actually just brewed it again last week. My actual OG came in at 1.051 this time and was at 1.017 after 8 days. The WLP300 yeast is very slow to flocculate it seems. Most of my beers are done and clear after a week at most. I would have expected this one to follow suite but it still has a very thick layer of krausen over a week after pitching. I'll update once it's in the keg. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Last edited by flhb on 12 Jul 2016, 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
    • MVA Brewer From United States of America

Post #17 made 7 years ago
Shouldn't get a wheatbeer to go clear, they're supposed to be cloudy ;)

Did you start at 12'C and raise or just go 18'C? I haven't noticed much of a difference between the two.

Post #18 made 7 years ago
tim_n wrote:Shouldn't get a wheatbeer to go clear, they're supposed to be cloudy ;)

Did you start at 12'C and raise or just go 18'C? I haven't noticed much of a difference between the two.
Haha, yeah, I was really referring to the really thick layer of krausen on top.

I pitched at 16C (60F) and let it rise to 20C (68F) over the next day and kept it there for about 4 days. I then let it rise to 22.2C (72F) for about 3 more days before taking it out of my ferm chamber and letting it sit at room temp 24C+ (75F+). I'm hoping to get plenty of banana from it.
Last edited by flhb on 13 Jul 2016, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.

Post #19 made 7 years ago
flhb wrote:
tim_n wrote:Shouldn't get a wheatbeer to go clear, they're supposed to be cloudy ;)

Haha, yeah, I was really referring to the really thick layer of krausen on top.

I pitched at 16C (60F) and let it rise to 20C (68F) over the next day and kept it there for about 4 days. I then let it rise to 22.2C (72F) for about 3 more days before taking it out of my ferm chamber and letting it sit at room temp 24C+ (75F+). I'm hoping to get plenty of banana from it.
I've got a new recipe which I've typed up. Using a dried yeast by mangrove jack. It's almost ready will post it up when done.
Last edited by tim_n on 13 Jul 2016, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

Post #20 made 7 years ago
So, I had a problem. I had an off-flavor which I guess is oxidation from forgetting to vent the headspace in the keg... Was pretty disappointed. Guess I'll try it again sometime.

Post #22 made 7 years ago
thanks for posting, it came out great tasting. already brewed this again with late additions of Citra hops to make it a hoppier wheat. it's sitting in the keezer now carbing up. I'll have to try that Snidey Weiss next maybe
Drink beer, ride bike, repeat til empty
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Re: All-grain Paulaner Clone - German Wheatbeer

Post #23 made 7 years ago
Brewed this one yesterday, got a Gravity into Boil of 1.037 (target in recipe is 1.039), and an OG after boiling of 1.042 (recipe expects 1.052). My pre-boil volume was of 25L, and I had 20L at Flame-Out.
My kettle capacity is 31L and I started with 26.4L of water (did a full volume mash, no sparge or anything, just squeezed the bag well at the end of the mash). Edit: was checking my Biabacus file, and noticed that I started with about 1 more litre than I should have (used SWN value instead of TWN)

I didn't have enough Munich Malt (had to use about 230g, but turned out I only had about 100g left), so I expected to not be able to reach the target OG, but 10 points is too much of a difference. Anyway, it is in the fermentor now, I can't get the temperature as low as I would like, it is summer here now and it is kinda hot, the thermometer sticker in the fermentor is measuring 26C right now.

Questions:

For Tim: Coming back to this thread, I see that you also got an OG of 1.042 from this recipe, so maybe it was expected? did you ever brew this again? same results? different? did you change anything?

For flhb: I also see that you got an OG of 1.051, did you change anything in the spreadsheet other than your Desired VIF and kettle size? did you use more grain? what is your usual evaporation rate?
Last edited by tizoc on 09 Jan 2017, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Uruguay

Re: All-grain Paulaner Clone - German Wheatbeer

Post #25 made 7 years ago
I boiled for 90 minutes. After posting my comment I noticed that I started with about 1 litre more than I should, so that is one factor -- using http://www.brewersfriend.com/dilution-a ... alculator/ to calculate the volume that would give me 1.039 gravity from 1.037 @ 25L gives me 23.72, *exactly* the same value as BIABacus.

From that point (1.039 @ 23.7L), an evaporation of 5.93L (again, using that calculator) would give me the target of 1.052. With my evaporation rate (around 3.5L per out, a bit less than the about 3.9L BIABacus uses by default) I would have reached an OG of about 1.050, with about 18.5L of wort left.

I still should have reached a few points more based on the measurements I got, but after having made these calculations it is now much more apparent what caused hose 10 points of difference.

Mystery solved I suppose, now I know how much difference a litre can make :)

Thanks!
Last edited by tizoc on 10 Jan 2017, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Uruguay

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 12 guests