Re: All-grain Paulaner Clone - German Wheatbeer

Post #26 made 7 years ago
Bottled this one yesterday, color was great. I tasted the sample I took to measure the FG (1.006 btw) and it tasted very Paulaner-esque, but there was something off, I don't know how to describe it but I didn't like it much. I hope it gets better after the bottle conditioning and carbonation.

One issue I know I had was fermentation temperature, which was around 25-26C, it is something I'm trying to fix because fermentation temperature has been an issue in all my 3 brews so far being that it is summer here. I brewed an IPA yesterday and so far I have been able to keep it at 19-20C by putting the fermenter in water with some ice bags that I have to change a few times a day.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Uruguay

Post #27 made 7 years ago
Well good job with it... Remember that having Consistent Temperature is as or more important than having the exact proper temperature. Sounds like you've got a pretty good system worked out... A basement or cellar would be great. And a temperature controlled fermentation chamber even better. But we don't always start out with what we will want. Anyhow, good job putting time and effort to controling your temperature. 

One additional thought is to "brew with the seasons"... Saisons in the heat of the summer with your temp control. Lagers in the winter. Ales in the fall and spring.  ;) 
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #28 made 7 years ago
Ouch. Well, I'm sacrificing constant temperature here to lower temperature. My range right now is 19-22C (during the night, without me around to replace the ice, it reaches 22C, the rest of the day it is at 19-20C). The alternative is a constant 26C. I just wrapped the fermentor in a cotton t-shirt now to see how well it does, may save me the work of replacing the ice bags very couple hours.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Uruguay

Post #29 made 7 years ago
I like the putting the fermenter inside a garbage can of water to regulate and hold temperatures. Then when necessary adding ice bags a few times a day... With some yeasts it will be hard without doing this to get the temperature down.  I used to do this before getting a temperature controlled fermentation vessel (chest freezer with temperature controller).
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 27 guests