Kolsch - LloydieP's Krispy Kolsch (Adjusted)

Post #1 made 14 years ago
The following recipe has been adjusted to suit The Master Guide. The original recipe can be found here.

OVERVIEW

Style: Kolsch
Name: LloydieP's Krispy Kolsch
Yeast: Safale K97 or German Ale Yeast
Original Gravity: 1.048
Total IBU's: 24.6
Colour (EBC): 7.6
Efficiency at End of Boil: 79%
Mash Length (mins): 90
Boil Length (mins): 90
Your Vessel Type (Pot/Keggle/Urn): Pot
Source/Credits: LloydieP's recipe which can be found here
Notes/Instructions/Comments:

Volumes etc.

Your Vessel Volume (L or gal): 70 L
Your Vessel Diameter (cm or in): 45 cm
Water Required (L or gal): 42.8 L
Mash Temperature (C or F): 64 C
Volume at End of Boil (L or gal): 29.0 L
Volume into Fermenter (L or gal): 24.8 L
Brew Length (L or gal): 23.0 L
Total Grain Bill (g or oz): 5736 g

Grains - Colours - Percentages and/or Weight (g or oz)

Grain 1: Weyerman Pilsner 75% = 4302 g
Grain 2: Belgian Vienna Malt 20% = 1147 g
Grain 3: German Caramel Pils 5% = 287 g
etc

Hops - AA% - IBUs - Weight (g or oz) at Minutes

Hop 1: Hallertau 5.3% - 48 g at 60 min
Hop 2: Hallertau 5.3% - 24 g at 10 min
Hop 3:
etc

Adjuncts/Minerals/Finings etc

Adjunct:
Mineral:
Finings:

The Calculator is based on this recipe and equipment.
Last edited by BIABrewer on 17 Apr 2010, 16:40, edited 18 times in total.

Post #2 made 14 years ago
Hey Guys, went to get my yeast for this one (safale K-97) the other day from T.W.O.C online, but the website says the K-97 is no longer available? Replaced by WB06 ? I cant find any WB06 in their online store, or anything that say German Ale yeast?
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers!
RL

Edit: Found it one click after posting! idiot lol

http://www.homebru.com.au/index.php?mai ... ucts_id=84
"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”Dave Berry

Post #3 made 14 years ago
Another question guys,
The Hallertau hops i have are 3% but the recipe requires 5.3%. What adjustments do i need to make to make sure i put in the right amount?

Cheers!

RL
"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”Dave Berry

Post #4 made 14 years ago
Hey Redlegger, according to Beersmith you need to use 85g @ 3.0%a/a 60 mins (23.2 IBU's). 42g @ 3.0%a/a 10 mins (4.2 IBU's).

Cheers
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #5 made 14 years ago
I think that changing the 10 min addition from 24g to 42g is going to make a big difference. You might be better off keeping the 10 min addition at 24g and adding enough hops at 60 min to reach your target IBUs.

Another way to approach this is to keep the original amounts of hallertau in the recipe (48g at 60 min and 24g at 10 min) and add a higher alpha acid hop at 60 min to make up the required IBU (northern brewer could be a good choice - german hop with about 7.5% AA). That will be much cheaper without compromising taste.

Cheers
Dick

Post #6 made 14 years ago
Hey Lloydie, whats the ferment temp for this one mate?

Post #8 made 14 years ago
redlegger wrote:Hey Lloydie, whats the ferment temp for this one mate?
I think Lloydie still is not back on the net. But, if you want a great lager tasting beer with this recipe then ferment at 15 C. If you want a fruity Kolsch style then ferment higher, say at 19 C. These figures are based though on the liquid German ale yeast not the dried. I am not sure of what the difference between the liquid and dried would be.

I have only ever fermented this at 15-16 but it is a great beer enjoyed by all.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 06 May 2010, 05:19, edited 18 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #9 made 9 years ago
Hi All,

I made a version of LloydieP's Krispy Kolsch, which I believe is pretty good. I downloaded a BIABacus version 1.3 of the recipe from http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php ... 457#p35031, and converted it to a 1.3T version. I used New World NZ Pacifica hops instead of Old World Hallertau. The result is a very refreshing beer with a bit of an orangey finish. Served it a couple of weeks ago for the Super Bowl. Had some tonight and it has definitely improved after 4 weeks in the keg. Also, this was my 1st attempt using gelatin as a fining agent -- this has resulted in a very clear beer (yes, I like that sort of thing :headhit:).

Thanks for all your help!

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by shetc on 16 Feb 2015, 09:21, edited 18 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #11 made 9 years ago
Im thinking about doing this as a BoPils with the hop schedule from BCS,35 IBU's. Im having trouble finding fresh Saaz hops at a descent price though but probably wont matter?. Since Ill have to wait awhile to taste it Im thinking of doing a double batch to make it worth my while :think: :yum: First double batch maybe
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #12 made 9 years ago
Just planning my first BIAB and attempting Lloydies Kolsch as is.

I have made a Keezer (which I will post photos of) and currently building a brew stand but while I'm at it...in front of the TV in the evenings I'm building my checklists and ingredient sect...!

One area that would be useful to be given advice is fermentation times?

I'm thinking 2 weeks primary, 2 secondary, ( second week being crash chilled) then a final week in the keezer carbing and conditioning.

Does that sound the way to go? :pray:

Any advice and suggestions very appreciated!

Rgs
kmmacker

Post #13 made 9 years ago
kmmacker wrote:Just planning my first BIAB and attempting Lloydies Kolsch as is.

I have made a Keezer (which I will post photos of) and currently building a brew stand but while I'm at it...in front of the TV in the evenings I'm building my checklists and ingredient sect...!

One area that would be useful to be given advice is fermentation times?

I'm thinking 2 weeks primary, 2 secondary, ( second week being crash chilled) then a final week in the keezer carbing and conditioning.

Does that sound the way to go? :pray:

Any advice and suggestions very appreciated!

Rgs
kmmacker

Also can't source German caramel pils from my online brew shop? Does it go by any other name or is there an obvious replacement I can use? I shop with http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers
Last edited by kmmacker on 03 Apr 2015, 21:56, edited 18 times in total.

Post #14 made 9 years ago
I used Wyeast 2565 (kolsch) and it was a really nice beer. One of the best I have made. I was in the habit of waiting for the krausen to go down until I bottled/kegged but with this yeast it took 4 weeks to settle. I don't use secondary. More chance of infection coz it disturbs the co2 layer plus I think the kegs work even better for secondary. Why ad an unnecessary step.

Normally I like to let the yeast do its thing however 2 weeks sounds about right but I'd be relying on a few hydro readings to make sure and definitely cold crash with this yeast. Siphon from the top if you can coz kolsch yeast does not flocculate/settle much at all. Unless you use gelatine or want to condition for a long time then don't expect a really clear beer.

That's my 2c but others may be different. A great beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.

Post #15 made 9 years ago
Carapils is what you are after. They have it under the "special malted grains" section. I think it's also called (maybe?) carafoam or dexmalt depending on the brand of malt you buy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post #20 made 9 years ago
Yep, 3 weeks at fermentation temp in primary, 1 week cold crash in primary, then into the keg for carbing. Obviously , I'm not in a rush :-) Actually, the theory is that the 3rd week allows the yeast to clean up other things in the beer, plus you don't need to mess around taking multiple FG measurements.

Post #21 made 9 years ago
shetc wrote:Yep, 3 weeks at fermentation temp in primary, 1 week cold crash in primary, then into the keg for carbing. Obviously , I'm not in a rush :-) Actually, the theory is that the 3rd week allows the yeast to clean up other things in the beer, plus you don't need to mess around taking multiple FG measurements.

4 weeks seems a very reasonable turnaround! ....does it come out clear or do you add findings, gelatine when you keg? What about sediment?

This is great advice!

Thanks
Last edited by kmmacker on 04 Apr 2015, 13:11, edited 18 times in total.

Post #22 made 9 years ago
Yep, I use gelatin when I keg - this causes quite a bit of sediment in the first couple of pints, which I avoid.

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 26 guests