First biab attempt

Post #1 made 6 years ago
Here is what I am looking at for my first biab. I am planning on following Ralphs guide to mini-biab. It looks like exactly what I'd like to do. I have played around with biabicus and have the file posted. I'd love to know if the numbers look alright. I was wondering what I would do if I wanted to use a different recipe. Let's say I wanted to make a porter. Would I assume that I would use around 5 pounds of grain (I am using 4.77 for the Pale Ale)? Could I just create a recipe of "porter-appropriate" ingredients and base percentages of grain off that 5-pound mark? Or can I bump that up to boost ABV? It seems likes this recipe is maxing out my equipment. :think:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Re: First biab attempt

Post #2 made 6 years ago
Hi there El and welcome to the forum :salute:

Firstly, I'd like to say, nice job on filling out the BIABacus :thumbs:

Quick Notes On BIABAcus...

Error (Not Yours!): In Section F, the WYWU field has an incorrect formula. You'll actually only want to use about a 1/4 of a whirfloc tablet.
Saving Problem: You've uploaded the file as an .xlsx instead of .xls and, I can see from the colour of the file that you're using LibreOffice or OpenOffice which is fine BUT!!! when I open it, I can click on any cell in the spreadsheet and this is a problem...
There are literally hundreds of hidden formulas in the spreadsheet cells, and, if you accidentally delete one, the whole spreadsheet is ruined. ALWAYS save your BIABacus files as .xls

Other Stuff

Mini batches are much harder to get the numbers right on. In many ways, that is a good thing as you quickly learn that the beer tastes great even when the numbers don't match.

Ralph certainly loved pushing things to extremes :).

I'm not quite understanding your question on the ABV/porter thing??? However, here's what I'm thinking....

I think you are really asking how much capacity your kettle has. The mathematics underlying that question range from simple to extremely complex (interestingly enough, the BIABacus is the only software that is not only able able to handle the latter but that does it automatically :shock: ) however, from memory, I think this post might help?

Let us know if it does/doesn't.

Good job,
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 6 years ago
Thanks for the info PP! I currently do all my work on a Chromebook. I think that Google Sheets is a "lite" version of Excel. I'll have to use a different computer or see if I can convert the file.

Just curious, would a half tablet of whirfloc hurt the beer?

You're correct. I was trying to figure out what is the max amount of beer I could get out of my current set up (a 19-liter pot). I'll check out that thread. It seems like I should maybe just upgrade to a bigger pot...something I have been considering.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 6 years ago
El Vagabundo,
The latest info/advice I have seen on whirlfloc use is 1/4 tab in the final 5 minutes of the boil.
You will not do harm using a half tab.
In the past I followed advice that changed over time from an entire tab in the final 15 minutes of the boil, to 10 minutes, then half a tab at 10 minutes, then 5 minutes.
At least it keeps going down, instead of up. :think:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIAB Recipes”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 15 guests