Italian spiral Burner

Post #1 made 13 years ago
Hi as in my last thread Burner for 50l pot . I went with the Italian spiral Burner and tried to give it a test drive this weekend with a pot of water. Yes it did boil the the water quick but to just keep a rolling boil all i ended up with was a big black pot of soot . i tried every thing pressure up / down but could not get a nice clean flame. After boiling for 90 min the water was covered in soot ........ does any body have any advice to help stop this

thanks Nearly in the bag
Ah, beer, my one weakness. My achille's heel, if you will..........

Post #2 made 13 years ago
Ah Sam, it is annoying that the retailers don't give instructions with these things. I remember having this problem.

There should be two instructions included with all burners (especially sold to brewers.)...

1. Firstly, adjust the flame of your burner so it is burning blue not yellow. (I'll explain this below.)

2. Secondly, run your burner for 20 to 30 minutes on full with your kettle above it. Make sure you have, of course, some water in it.) This will burn off any possible excess paint. This excess paint turns into "whisps," that can fall into your wort. (I had this happen with my Italian burner and emailed the retailer suggesting it might be a good idea to mention this. Can't remember getting a reply :roll:)

This second problem is not as common. I think you had both :argh: Anyway, all you need to worry about now is the first one :).

This yellow flame problem is a bit of a bastard to adjust on spiral burners. If you have the same one as me, there will be a large silver 'collar' just after your gas control valve. It is probably secured by a nut and bolt. Loosen the nut and you will see that you can now slide the collar forward and back. This adjusts how much air/oxygen gets mixed with the gas. You need more air! (I just had a quick look at mine but it is buried under some other things so I can't tell you whether to push it back or forward.)

It's a pretty simple but pretty stupid and inconvenient way of adjusting your flame from yellow to blue but that is what they have done. Once you have done it though, I don't think you'd need to adjust it again.

If this makes sense to you then great. If not, I'll try and post some pics.

Why these things don't come with these basic instructions, I'll never know especially when they are sold by brewers or brew shops :roll:. You can seriously wreck your first ever Ag by not being lucky enough to know the above.

Cheers Sam,
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 13 years ago
Hi thanks PP for the quick reply . Yes i did find that collar to allow as much air flow through the burner but the thing still looked like a steam train. I even tried blowing straight oxygen in to the vent from a benzomatic bottle .. hmmm had every dog in the neighbour hood barking, one enormous bang my ears are still ringing 2 day later . Might have to spend some more time fine tuning and give your tips a go

regards

Post #4 made 13 years ago
My goodness! and LOL :argh: !

That is weird!

It shouldn't be that hard Sam. I wouldn't bother with trying the fine tuning. I think give your retailer a ring as there might be a fault (e'g' something that can get blocked with paint) that is not widely known.

If your retailer can't help you over the phone then invite him over to show you how to get it working properly :smoke:.

Be interested to hear what the resolution of this problem is.

:scratch:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 21 Mar 2011, 22:55, edited 5 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #6 made 13 years ago
Problem fixed .... took a paper clip and found out that about 50 % of the holes couldn't even pass the paper clip through where all blocked so i drilled the lot out to the same size , gave it a bang on its ended and heaps of junk fell out . Before adjusting that air collar did nothing now just the slightest movement makes a world of difference . gone are the yellow flame now nice orange blue clean flames .. thanks for the help :) :) :salute:

Post #7 made 13 years ago
Good on you Sam!

I suspect a lot of burners are spray painted to preserve their looking good while they are sitting on the shelf. A wrong gust of wind, spray booth set-up, over-spray or runs and these small holes are easily going to get blocked.

We better add this to the 1 and 2 problems above :roll:.

Great job on finding and solving the problem Sam :thumbs:.

Post #9 made 12 years ago
Hi Brenton,

I use an Italian Spiral on an 80L Keggle and it does the trick. I use a High Pressure reg but used to use a Med Pressure reg.
I think the High Pressure reg is just a bit better so it is up to your personal preference.

HC
Part of the NoAd brewers

My mum says I'm cool.

Post #10 made 12 years ago
yup, these are pretty decent burners, I get 45L to mash temps reasonably easy, I do have a high pressure regulator too.

My model tends to suffer a bit from wind but I suppose almost every burner would.

Post #11 made 12 years ago
squared,check out my post farther down on wind screens.Mine works great!I am just about to add an insulted top/lid for it in anticipation of winter. :sad:
P.S. Where did you get your spiral?
AWOL

Post #12 made 12 years ago
lylo,

I seem to have the same burner. I got mine from the italian center in Edmonton (go figure, hehe).

What is your screen made out of, and how did you do it? I reckon it will be nice when the frost/snow hit for sure!

Post #13 made 12 years ago
I had a tin basher make it out of sheet metal(about $50).I don't recall what gauge it was,I just wanted it to be fairly light but rigid.He spot welded it together and I cut the hole in the bottom for the gas line,air flow and relighting.Make sure you are slightly bigger than the handles on your pot and burner stand.I am presently shopping the garage sales for a slightly bigger sleeping bag as mine fits a little too snug.
Where is the Italian center?My burner is just a run of the mill turkey fryer of about 60G btu's.
AWOL

Post #14 made 12 years ago
From your pics it looks like I have the same one?It has the same red box frame and all. Is the burner inside yours a "spiral burner"?

I just looked at my gear and it does say it is 65,000BTU so I thought it was more but it does get things going on brew days.

I seen at RONA they had a burner on sale I think it was around 75,000 BTU. Comes with the stand and stuff.

Nevertheless, the Italian center is located on 95st and 108ave I think.

Post #16 made 12 years ago
I've got a spiral and I am thinking of upgrading to a HP regulator as the MP it came with seems sloooow to bring things up to a boil.

I've just done a search and found that they come in various pressure ranges, what pressure range are the ones you HP guys are using ?

Cheers

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #17 made 12 years ago
My MP goes up to 207kpa iirc
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #18 made 12 years ago
Hi guys im just trying to find out if there is anywhere other then beer belly.com to buy an Italian spiral burner, Ive searched the net a few times and they are the only mob that come up and alot of the brewing forums all refer back to them aswell. Beerbelly.com is currently out of stock i have emailed them asking when they expect some more in but if i find one before then that would be great

Thanks in advance for any help
Hainesy

Post #19 made 12 years ago
I think there is one supplier somewhere, but their burners are 5 jets per row, not 7, and are not as powerful
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda

5/7/12

Post #20 made 12 years ago
I got a reply from my email to beerbelly.com (really quickly i mite add) and they said they should have some more in stock by the end of the month hopefully. Aparently they have to come with a specific reg now due to new regulations on gas equipment.

Post #21 made 12 years ago
I wonder what kpa the new reg will be :-\

5/7/12

Post #22 made 12 years ago
I'm hanging out to buy the new Italian spiral burner from beerbelly too. The frame withe the wind shields looks like a good setup. Maybe Santa might put one under my tree if I'm good :-)

Post #23 made 12 years ago
A mate of mine has the newer Beerbelly spiral burner. I don't think it get's hot enough myself with the new regs. It's needs an adjustable to really crank and get a rolling boil.

Post #24 made 12 years ago
Well, yes :)

I get the feeling you're supposed to read between the lines and upgrade to the adjustable

5/7/12

Italian spiral Burner

Post #25 made 12 years ago
I had an original one from beer belly a few years back, stop brewing for a few months then sold the burner to fund a still.
Relised I missed brewing beer so brought the new updated burner. Only just kept my boil boiling.
Now with my adjustable regulator and playing with the oxygen adjustment its a ripper of a burner again. Definitely needs the adjustable reg. And to be safe get the 3 metre hose. Gets my double batch in an 80 litre pot boiling no problem.

Return to “Gas-Fired BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests