Gas fired step mashing

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Hey gang, new BIABer here. In my old 3v I step mashed with boiling water. With the BIAB I've been cranking the gas while holding the bag off the bottom and stirring. It's tricky, but manageabl, and I can do as many temp rests as I want, as long as I've got the time hehe.

How do you guys do it? Any tips?.

I think some strong clamps to "peg" the bag up off the bottom would make it much easier, might look out for some. Or a cake rack to keep the bag up off the bottom.

Cheers

Post #2 made 10 years ago
I have a pulley system, so if I ever need to reheat I can just raise the bag slightly and drop back down when ready.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Twinkeelfool, I have used a "cake rack" in the bottom of the kettle to keep the bag off the heated surface of the bottom of the kettle.
Stirring all the while.
I have done a brew doing a continuous raise from a room temperature mash in (20C) up to 67C, starch test, 30 min rest the up to mash out (78C).
This works quite well. But with an enormous increase in trub.

I recommend the rack as even though I use "bulldog" clips, a type of black and silver stationery clip, which are strong enough to take a finger off, the weight of the grain is sufficient to pull the bag onto the bottom of the kettle.

Lemon
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 10 years ago
I step mash without anything to raise the bag off the bottom of the pot. I just stir continuously while the 32-jet Mongolian is going full-bore :-)

Bit tedious stirring continuously to mashout, but have never had an issue, bar one time I burnt a bag due to a fold in the botom of the bag that I didn't know was there. Stirring felt odd. Now I know.

I use a paint-stirrer to pull grains from the bottom of the pot too, not a traditional mash paddle. YMMV.

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Cheers guys, I use a keggle, and thought a standard cake rack might not be big enough, so might look into making something up.

The hook itself, great idea!.

Continuos mash sounds good too, do you just put the burner on low??. I guess it'd just take a bit of trial and error to work out how strong to out it on. Be good for a saison. Second biab I used a cereal mash to raise the mash. Helped me keep temp in my in insulated keggle. I've now got some foam I wrap around it so I might try that again too.

Cheers guys!!

Post #6 made 10 years ago
mally wrote:I have a pulley system, so if I ever need to reheat I can just raise the bag slightly and drop back down when ready.
This is definitely the way to go if you can. Use it for mash-outs as well.

Paint stirrer (more like a large potato masher such as seen here or the cheaper one as pictured in The Commentary)) being jiggled up and down is also the way to go. If using the pulley, put the masher inside the bag and just lift bag so it is off the bottom of the pot. Give the masher an occasional agitation during the step rise to make sure the hotter water circulates through it. Lower the nag back in once step temp is reached and flame is off.

I've never understood why anyone would use a traditional mash paddle in home brewing :scratch:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 14 Jun 2014, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #7 made 10 years ago
Twinkle fool,
My rack is custom made, I must add.
With the continuous mash, I only use the second ring of my three ring burner under my keggle. Raises about 1 degree C per minute.
Lemon

Post #9 made 8 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:
I've never understood why anyone would use a traditional mash paddle in home brewing :scratch:.
Im now running a 100L pot so the standard stainless steel chefs spoon i had for my single batch pot is now a little short. The mrs picked me up a metre long stainless steel stirrer from a kitchen shop recently which looks kinda like a mash paddle which is perfect for my new setup. I guess some circumstances warrant it...but yes i agree with you for the most part. I see so many using a metre long mash paddle in a 50L pot. Does leave you scratching your head
Last edited by pist on 10 Jul 2015, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gas-Fired BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 17 guests