It was going great untill....

Post #1 made 10 years ago
I started to run out of propane at 10:40 pm. S@^%! So the boil slowed to a simmer about 45 min into a 60 min boil for a porter. It died at 52 min in so I tossed in my flame out hops. Im about a 1/2 gallon over on my end of boil volume. Should I resume the boil for 15 min tomorrow with more propane, or leave it be. Ill be cooling it as per my usual in the pot tonight.

what say you?

trout
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Post #2 made 10 years ago
i would say just leave it.
what is the gravity and what gravity where you targeting?
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #3 made 10 years ago
#iLoveBreweingElectric
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
to be brewed:

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Hahaha! I say let it go and learn from the brew. It's a good recipe to have this problem on. Next time you brew it, see if you can notice any difference.

Also, hope you have read this page by now too trout ;).

:peace:
Last edited by PistolPatch on 20 Nov 2013, 20:18, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Shib,

I will be going electric when i can make the time(last night has given me a stronger push to get it done ;) .)

I took some measurements this am that I forgot to do last night. The wort is still a bit warm, around 27C/80F. I'll have real measurements after work when the wort cools completely.

Temp adjusted End of Boil Gravty is 1.063 shooting for 1.066.

End of boil Volume (almost ambiant) is about 25 L/6.6G shooting for 23.3L/6.1G

It should be fine, and with a porter, I think that the darker character and flavors should cover up any stuff that didn't get fully boiled off?

Why didn't I go 90min boil? Well I was sure that I had enough gas for a 60 min boil :idiot: , and I felt that with a porter and no pilsner malt I could get away with a 60min boil and have no DMS flavors, AND I knew that I was doing this batch after work and didn't want to be up really late.

PP,

I had not read the link you provided, but I WILL!

trout
Last edited by 2trout on 20 Nov 2013, 23:40, edited 2 times in total.
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews

Post #6 made 10 years ago
1.066 and 1.063 are the same in my brewing book
Cube:
to be brewed:

Post #7 made 10 years ago
shibolet wrote:1.066 and 1.063 are the same in my brewing book
Same here. Toughest thing is going to be duplicating your process if this turns out to be the best tasting beer you've ever made.

---Todd
Last edited by thughes on 21 Nov 2013, 01:16, edited 2 times in total.
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #8 made 10 years ago
Yes,

I'm getting all geeky on this one. The reason is that I really WAS hitting the "numbers" that the biabicus said I would. It was cool. :drink:
Bobbrews

Post #9 made 10 years ago
it sucks to shell out for another propane tank, but having a back up would be well-worth it on a night like yours!

of course you have to make sure the spare is full, which mine is not... so i'm gonna shut up ;)

Post #10 made 10 years ago
Beer,

I did exactly that. I've got one plus a backup.

As Mr. Hughes said
Same here. Toughest thing is going to be duplicating your process if this turns out to be the best tasting beer you've ever made.
Well, duplicating this brew is getting tougher all the time!

I pitched on November 20th, and went to bottle on December 14th and fermentation appeared to be stuck :headhit: :argh: (a first for me.) I was expecting around 1.015 and had 1.024. I re-pitched, and fermentation did start again. Ill be getting a gravity reading today, so we will see.

Trout
Last edited by 2trout on 24 Dec 2013, 01:54, edited 2 times in total.
Bobbrews

Post #12 made 10 years ago
It's probably true! My gravity reading today was only down to 1.020. Ill check again tomorrow and Wednesday then bottle.

trout
Bobbrews

Post #13 made 10 years ago
Well,

I just finished bottling with a Final Gravity of 1.020. Im drinking the 1/4 of a bottle that was left, and it is good. HA! Ill never reproduce THAT process.

The more I brew, the more I realize that I dont have my brewing "system" down. Im forever chasing down this piece, or forgetting to add that, yadda yadda yadda....

Guess Ill have to brew more! :drink:

trout
Last edited by 2trout on 31 Dec 2013, 02:39, edited 2 times in total.
Bobbrews

Return to “Gas-Fired BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 19 guests