My first all-grain, BIAB, and no-chill

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Now 5 months after I bottled my 4th brew - the Smashing Pumpkin Ale kit from Northern Brewer, I finally brewed and decided to go all out:

1. I brewed Reno eNVy's Punkin ale found on the following Homebrewtalk thread. It's not a beginner recipe:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/punkin-ale-145060/

2. It was my first brew on the keggle I made:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keiths-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... le-353760/

3. It was my first all-grain

4. It was my first BIAB

5. I no-chilled

Here are the details of my brew, the original recipe can be found on the link above:

10.5 lbs Pale Malt - US 2-rwo
1 lb Crystal 60L
1 lb Victory malt
4 29oz cans of Libby's pumpkin

1 lb Brown Sugar at 60 min
1 oz Hallertaur 40 min (instead of 60 min due to no-chill)
1.5 Tbsp McCormick's Pumpkin Pie Spice at 10 min
1.5 oz Hallertaur at 5 min

O.G. 1.065

Procedure:

BIAB using full volume, 90 minute mash, mash temp of 154-156, no dunk sparge, 60 min boil.

Using the maxi-BIAB calculator on this forum I got the following volumes:

Water required: 8.2 gal.
Estimated start of boil volume at 100*C: 7.57 gal.
End of boil volume at 100*C: 6.25 gal.

1. Baked the pumpkin at 350* until turning brown

2. Steeped pumpkin in a grain bag while heating water to strike temp of 162*F - a figure I obtained from a basic BIAB calculator from someone on HBT.

3. At strike temp, pulled the bag of pumpkin out and squeezed it some.

First small problem: dropped a wooden clothespin into the keggle while removing bag of pumpkin. Couldn't find it with spoon, so decided to leave it.

4. Placed the BIAB bag - graciously sent to me by thughes as a birthday gift with the admonition that I was to get off my (_!_) and brew something - into the kettle and added the grain.

5. After stirring, temp settled at 154*. Great so far.

6. 90 minute mash during which time I had to add heat only twice to keep temp 154-156.

7. Mashout to 170* for 10 min.

8. Pulled the bag; squeezed it a bit, and heated up for boil.

Major problem of the brew day occured here: I removed the temp probe when the temp got to 210. It seemed to be taking a long time. After an hour of seeing the water look as if it were just about to boil and realizing that I was simmering away my volume, I figured that I was low on propane. I shut it down, ran 5 min up the street to get another propane tank, hooked it up, and had loud flame. Added fresh water to bring my volume up to the calculated pre-boil level. Had boiling in 10 minutes.

9. Added brown sugar at 60 minutes and set the timer. I decided to follow "The Pol's" recommendation on his no-chill hop adjustment for the 60 min hop addition and moved it to 20 min.

10. Added the spice and 2nd hop addition at the time specified in the recipe.

11. During boil, I sanitized the Aquatainer and the tubing to transfer the wort.

12. At 60 minutes, I shut off the heat, attached the tubing to the barb, and transferred almost everything into the container. After sealing the Aquatainer, I turned it every which-way to heat all interior surfaces before placing it onto a table to cool.

13. Just before transferring, I took a sample for O.G.

14. Then I rinsed out the keggle and had things cleaned up in no time. I found out that you shouldn't grab the bottom of a keggle to dump it when it's only been about 20 minutes since flameout. Didn't burn too badly.

15. After the sample had cooled, the O.G. was 1.066 (recipe called for 1.065).

So far so good for my first AG brew as well as my first BIAB.

I'll post pictures in the next posting.

Anyway, I'm quite excited about this beer.

Keith
Last edited by kzimmer0817 on 25 Sep 2012, 11:33, edited 2 times in total.

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Here are photos of the brew.

Pumpkin on pan ready for baking:
Pumpkin after baking:
After taking my great dane for a walk!
No, really that was the pumpkin in the bag for steeping. The original recipe called for the pumpkin to be mashed with the grain. In 3 vessel brewing, many folks get stuck sparges. One BIABer recommended steeping the pumpkin first.

Strike temp of 162
Steeping the pumpkin in water while heating to strike temp
Removing bag of pumpkin and letting it drain (and squeezing)
Placing bag for BIAB (bag gift from thughes). Photobucket chopped up this photo.
Adding grain
Temp probe stuck thru plastic lid floating above grain
Mashing. Note mash temp of 156. Only had to add heat twice during 90 min mash.
Pulling the bag after 10 min mashout at 170. The look on my face is not due to the weight of the bag. I was having trouble getting my son to take photos of this project.
Squeezing the bag
Enjoying glass of Northern Brewer Smashing Pumpkin Ale kit I bottled last April - overcarbed.
Finally, the boil (see previous post)
First of 2 hop additions:
Spice Addition:
Transfer of hot wort into appropriate container for no-chill. Hope to transfer to carboy tomorrow night and will pitch yeast then.
Clothespin hop found after draining keggle:
Aquatainer filled with hot wort expanding some. Now up on table. Plan to tip it over when I leave for work in the morning so trub will settle enough that I hope to not get too much thru the spigot.
Then got to bed very late. This evening I was able to get the wort transferred into the 6 gallon Better Bottle. I turned the Aquatainer on its side with the spout in position. I sprayed sanitizer around the small vent lid as well as in and around the spigot. Then I slowly opened the small cover to release the vacuum.
Here's transferring thru the sanitized funnel into the Better Bottle. I allowed it to splash in order to oxygenate it.
I wanted 5.5 gallons into the carboy. The last 1/2 gallon was a real sloppy puree of pumpkin - most likely. It smelled great so I went on ahead and transferred it as well. I figured that it would be good for flavor in the primary. It'll be gotten rid of upon transfer to secondary.
Here's the carboy down in the 7 cu ft Holiday freezer turned fermenter. The blow off tube is in place.
I rehydrated 2 packets of Safale US-05 and pitched. The recipe specifically called for 2 pkts.

I'm really excited about this brew - especially since it's three firsts for me: 1st all-grain, 1st BIAB, and 1st no-chill.

As it turns out, we will be moving into a house that has a great basement area for brewing. I hope to put together an electric BIAB setup.

I'm really excited to have finally performed BIAB after having read about it for almost a year.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice.

Keith
Last edited by kzimmer0817 on 25 Sep 2012, 11:53, edited 2 times in total.

Post #5 made 11 years ago
Radroo wrote:nice idea with the lid and thermometer ! going to borrow that idea
thughes suggested that idea to me. I had asked another BIABrewer on whose brewday thread I had seen a digital thermometer being used, and he simply clipped the cable to the side of the kettle during mash. My probe is "L" shaped, and I didn't think that would work well. I have a compression fitting to put into the sight glass tee for a temp probe, but I figured that it would get in the way of the bag. This worked well. Several times - usually while stirring - stuff would get on top of the lid and it would want to sink, so I would have to dump it out.

Thanks,
Keith
Last edited by kzimmer0817 on 25 Sep 2012, 20:55, edited 2 times in total.

Post #7 made 11 years ago
thughes wrote:I saw a pic of that thermometer boat trick somewhere on this forum (Yeasty? BeachBum?)
We'll eventually get the right people credited with for their ideas. Sort of like crediting someone for information you obtained from an article you read, then finding that the author was actually quoting someone else.

BTW, I pitched the 2pks of US-05 around 10pm (11 hrs ago). I didn't hear any bubbling when I got up 1.5 hrs ago, but there's a decent bit of bubbling going on in the blow-off bottle now. The freezer temp is 62.

Lessons learned:
1. until I get my routine down, it takes a lot longer than you think it would. 90 min mash, 60 min boil, not problem, but it's easy to not consider the time it takes to "arrive" at the temps.

2. now that I know what my burner is supposed to sound like; if it doesn't make a decent amount of noise, better replace it before I get started - at least until I go electric.

3. especially when no-chilling, don't grab the bottom of a keggle to dump out the trub right after transfer if you've been using propane :blush: didn't burn my hand too badly, caught it in time.

4. at least when the ambient temp is in the 70's, the mash really will hold temp well.

Gotta get ready to go to work.

Certainly, I'd appreciate any suggestions one has to offer.

Keith
Last edited by kzimmer0817 on 25 Sep 2012, 21:30, edited 2 times in total.

Post #8 made 11 years ago
kzimmer0817,

Nicely done! The no-chill container type is new to me. How is it working? Is it food safe at high temperature? What is it made of? My containers are (6 Gallons) a little larger would be nice? I am not in favor of vents but these have screw top and I think that may be OK? Maybe I can try your type? Thanks!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #9 made 11 years ago
Bob,the Aquatainer is very common in Canada.The best price is at Walmart.
The only problem I have had is with an undetected mould growth in the threads of the spigot. :headhit: This cost me a few batches!! :sad:
Be very aware of this Keith. :argh:
AWOL

Post #10 made 11 years ago
The spigot completely disassembles for easy cleaning.....of course one has to be paying enough attention to detect the "undetected" growth in the first place. :whistle:
WWBBD?

Post #12 made 11 years ago
In regards to the Aquatainer. I received this email from the company. http://www.relianceproducts.com/product ... on/79.html
Our products are made of food grade approved resin, and they will not melt, but not recommended for “cooking”

I have heard of other people using our products to brew beer, with no problems, so You could try it, but it would have to be at your own risk.

SUZANNE MACDONALD | Reliance Products L.P.

Executive Assistant/ISO Coordinator | 1093 Sherwin Road | Winnipeg, MB, R3H 1A4
It may be a good container but I worry about the air lock? I still use the old http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... rchresults But I don't like the round shape and the rectangular one is only 5 gallons. I want to do more long term storing of N/C containers and the air inlet bothers me? I do like the cap on mine. I bought two and I fitted one with a airlock. Sometimes I ferment in the N/C container so that I only have the one vessel to clean! I am SO lazy!
Last edited by BobBrews on 27 Sep 2012, 02:02, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #13 made 11 years ago
Some of those aquatainers seem to be fitted with a simple "push-in" style airlock which would not be suitable for our needs. Others (the 3 that I have) are equipped with a screw-on, silicone-gasketed vent cap.

Bob, I have both the aquatainers and the US Plastic 6 gallon drums such as you have. I use them interchangably. You can ferment in the aquatainers too, there is more headspace (they actually hold @ 7.5 gallons) and the spigot screws out of the center of the large fill cap allowing you to fit a blow-off hose or a rubber bung and airlock.

---Todd.

(perhaps the Mods want to split the NC container posts off to a seperate thread?)
WWBBD?

Post #14 made 11 years ago
Todd,

This is good news. I will have to stroll (drive) down to Wally-World and get one! If I ferment in the container that I use now. I have to use (sanitized cling wrap) over the hole for The first few days because of the krauzen clogging the bottom of the air lock! Another toy! Thanks again!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #15 made 11 years ago
BobBrews wrote: I have to use (sanitized cling wrap) over the hole for The first few days because of the krauzen clogging the bottom of the air lock!
Don't you worry about fermenting in something that has a hollow handle? Does the krauzen muck not dry in the handle?
Last edited by loonyscientist on 28 Sep 2012, 03:30, edited 2 times in total.

Post #16 made 11 years ago
loonyscientist wrote:
BobBrews wrote: I have to use (sanitized cling wrap) over the hole for The first few days because of the krauzen clogging the bottom of the air lock!
Don't you worry about fermenting in something that has a hollow handle? Does the krauzen muck not dry in the handle?
I soak with hot water and PBW for a day or two. No worries! ;)
Last edited by thughes on 28 Sep 2012, 06:43, edited 2 times in total.
WWBBD?

Post #17 made 11 years ago
thughes wrote:I saw a pic of that thermometer boat trick somewhere on this forum (Yeasty? BeachBum?)
It was me who posted a pic of my floating thermometer a while back.
I have recently taken Bob's advise and also started fermenting in my no chill cubes.
The problem is that I try very hard to fill them to the top and keep out as much oxygen as possible. But than when they've chilled I have to take out at least 2-3 liters to allow for sufficient head space.
Last edited by shibolet on 28 Sep 2012, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #18 made 11 years ago
I knew it was somebody here, thanks Noam.

How do you aerate/oxygenate the wort in the cubes before pitching your yeast? The boil takes all of the oxygen out and since you are not transferring to a fermenter (which causes splashing/aerating) the yeast are at a big disadvantage if you do not add oxygen somehow. I bought one of those systems that has a tube with an oxygenation stone at one end and hooks up to a little bottle of torch oxygen.

---Todd
WWBBD?

Post #19 made 11 years ago
When using my no-chill for fermenting or the (usual?) way. I use a stainless steel tube with a air-stone on the end. I use pure oxygen for a minute or so. I never saw shaking a bucket as a satisfactory way of introducing oxygen to a wort. I don't really worry to much about squeezing the no-chill to get the oxygen out either.

Somehow I guess that the oxygen fear we all have is a trickle down effect from some big brewer who was careless with transferring large amounts of agitated wort and paid the price? I don't know that for a fact but it's the way we get most of our "beer fear's".
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #20 made 11 years ago
oxygen bottles are not readily available here.i would have to buy hospital grade oxygen and that would be very very expensive.
so what i do is to pour about 4-5 liters out of the cube into a small fermenter, recap the cube and shake the crap out of it. here's a pic of my last brew. i brewed a double batch of saison wort, filled two 23 L cubes and fermented the three portions with three different yeast strains.

Last edited by shibolet on 30 Sep 2012, 00:51, edited 2 times in total.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Return to “Gas-Fired BIAB”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 4 guests