Post #2 made 9 years ago
No issues with the aluminium though you'll need to google 'seasoning aluminium pots'. Also make sure the base of the post is very thick otherwise you'll get very hot spots where your burner flame hits. (Don't use a rocket jet burner!)

Also check the price of the aluminum versus stainless as they are not as far apart as they used to be. The thick bottom is what you really want.

My main issue is the 40 lt within the 60 lt. While it sounds good, when I thought this through a little after I started BIAB'ing, it wasn't as good an idea as I thought it would be. It really has no advantage over a bag except if used in a tall narrow kettle. In a kettle that is as wide as it is tall, then this system really offers little or no advantage...

1. If you can lift a basket, you can lift a bag.
2. You can't willy-nilly apply heat to say the mash without also giving the mash a stir as you will create super hot-spots.
3. You need to visualise lifting the 'basket' out of the kettle and what you will do with it afterward. (It may 'feel' as though it will be cleaner and more elegant but will it really be? Are you just adding more weight to the bag?)
4. Unless you have holes in the side of the 'basket' as well, you are removing some of the beautiful efficiency of the bag manifold. The bag manifold allows wort to channel out in all directions (except the top) compared to a traditional mash tun which can only channel wort downwards.

So, think on these things and maybe instead of buying the 40 L 'basket' and 60 L kettle, either save the money or buy a stainless 60 L kettle or maybe even two 50 L so you can do two batches of different beers in a day.

Don't rush into this one ;),
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 9 years ago
They use an aluminium pot at my LHBS for BIAB demo's regularly. They also use a "2 pot screamer" as they call them along side the BIAB demo's on the same day. There great demo's. My very first post on this site was basically the same question.

The 2 pot screamers they sell at they G&G are from Keg King. You can make great beer from both but I would think that using a bag would be better. Less mucking around and more versatile in the long run. Just my 2c.
Last edited by nosco on 21 Oct 2014, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
"Gentleman, when I first started Reynholm Industries, I had just two things in my possession: a simple dream, and six million pounds.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #4 made 9 years ago
I use a 32qt (8gl) aluminum pot, I just boiled water in it before the first use to get the "oxidized cote" I do use it with a outdoor burner (55BTU) but never run the flame at max. I started on a budget but if you don't like buying things twice make the investment and purchase "heavy duty" weather it's stainless or aluminum, you'll be happy you did!
Does this mash paddle look clean to you?

Post #5 made 9 years ago
I've heard that cooking in aluminium causes....ummm.... it causes.... oh sh*t I forget.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Alzheimer's has been found in people who work in the Aluminum Industry......the Lead Industry, The Hard Liquor Industry, and every other Industry.

The Problem is..your Brain get low on Acetylcholine. You body makes this from Choline and acetic acid.

There are only a handful of foods you get Choline from. Eggs and Liver provide a lot of Choline....Sad, we are not suppose to eat eggs, and Liver is %$*%.

BUT, Check http://www.thebeermaiden.com/post/47923 ... ltivitamin Beer gives use Choline!!!!!!
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 9 years ago
joshua wrote:Alzheimer's has been found in people who work in the Aluminum Industry......the Lead Industry, The Hard Liquor Industry, and every other Industry.

The Problem is..your Brain get low on Acetylcholine. You body makes this from Choline and acetic acid.

There are only a handful of foods you get Choline from. Eggs and Liver provide a lot of Choline....Sad, we are not suppose to eat eggs, and Liver is %$*%.

BUT, Check http://www.thebeermaiden.com/post/47923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ltivitamin Beer gives use Choline!!!!!!
Mmmm liver, love a good pate!
Last edited by nicko on 26 Nov 2014, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 8 guests