Bought a 70L kettle (pics)

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi guys,

Here's a pic of my new kettle :thumbs:

One safety note though, mine was drilled for a tap but it wasn't sanded at all after drilling, so mine still had metal filings inside (powder form) and a thin 1cm filing on the inside of the hole that almost got under my fingernail but fortunately didn't. I'll sand/file that smooth shortly.

The filings powder was only annoying as my BIAB bag is inside. I'll just make sure it gets a thorough wash before the first brew.

The base of the pot is reasonably thin compared to an industrial SS cooking pot in a restaurant which I think will be better for brewing as it will heat quickly.

But all in all for the price from Craftbrewer these are great and cheaper than anywhere else for stainless.

Can't wait to start grain!! :yum:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #2 made 9 years ago
Oh, and the tap seems excellent (also from Craftbrewer). Service was also excellent.

Cheers.
For the price of a coffee you can support this site and the wealth of info shared on this site.

Post #5 made 9 years ago
Very nice. I'm using a 70L kettle myself, and find it to be quite a perfect size.

Actually, I have two of them now (each with their own burner). :argh:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Same here Rick. We'll have to come up with more side by side ideas ;).

Okay, the 70 litre is a great size for many scenarios Nick. For example, you can double batch, no-chill half to pitch later and chill the other half for immediate pitching.

When I saw the price of the kettle, I did wonder. The thin bottom is good price-wise but will not heat your wort quicker. In fact, there are a few things you will need to be aware of...

Do not use a burner with a focussed flame on this kettle as it will burn your wort. Go for a three-ring burner or Italian Spiral*. The thinner bottom the kettle, the easier it will be to burn your bag as well so be careful.

Search here for 'ectoplasm' and follow the links. In other words, maintain your kettle tap carefully and 'nostril test' it before each brew until you know how often it needs pulling apart.

* What burner have you got btw?

Anyway, this set-up will get you under way really nicely. Good stuff!
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 9 years ago
Thanks guys, unfortunately I have a bayou jet burner, so I guess I need a new burner... I wonder if I could put some sort of diffuser on it instead?

Post #8 made 9 years ago
Okay, so I have this burner that has a small inbuilt diffuser:

http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-SP1 ... B0002913MI

So I'm going to put a small bbq hot plate between the burner and the pot which has raised ribs for my cooking pleasure (hot plate not grill), so I will try that before shelling out on another burner.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Post #9 made 9 years ago
Yeah , I have an sp10 and the sp1. My kettles have a sandwiched base though. You'll be fine with the in built flame spreader I think.

Post #10 made 9 years ago
Rick wrote:Yeah , I have an sp10 and the sp1. My kettles have a sandwiched base though. You'll be fine with the in built flame spreader I think.
Sweet thanks Rick, should I use a thin bbq hot plate between the burner and kettle, or just the diffuser?
Last edited by nicko on 02 Jul 2014, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

Post #11 made 9 years ago
I'd be worried about poor surface contact on a hot plate. The bottom of your kettle is not going to stay flat enough for good heat transfer. It might work, but would be horribly inefficient on fuel I would imagine. It might be worth a try, maybe I'm wrong?

Definitely try the spreader first though, it breaks the flame up nicely.

Post #12 made 9 years ago
Yep, I'm with you Rick.

The real problem are those NASA burners (I think they are called) that do sound like a rocket taking off. These focus the flame like a bunsen burner and will turn the bottom centre of the kettle red hot and you can imagine how they would burn a bag in an instant.

They were all the rage a while ago but hopefully they have died away.

See how the diffuser goes but be diligent when you apply heat. Keep the grain agitated and/or the bag well off the bottom when the flame is on. Be smart and know that even if you use a cake rack,if your bag sits on top of that and completely covers it, the wort underneath, while it won't burn your bag, will be really hot. Always make sure the sweet liquor is not trapped when applying heat.

Just take it easy and pay attention during the mash and mash out and this won't be a problem Nick. The boil should be fine.

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #13 made 9 years ago
Thanks Pat,
I'll take that on board and keep you guys in the loop.

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 13 guests