Sliding sideways ?

Post #1 made 10 years ago
I've been experimenting with using a solid sided mash pipe with a mesh bottom in a recirculating system. The flow rate l can get through the mash hasn't been good and I've thinking about possible reasons why there seems to be a difference between a mesh bag and a solid sided pipe.

In my system all the liquid that goes into the top of the pipe has to go through the grain bed, however the commercial systems (HighGravity, Homebrewbuilder etc) all use bags.

I'm wondering how much of the returning liquid goes right through the grain bed and how much slides sideways through the walls of the bag.

Do you think that this is how the commercial systems manage to get a adequate flow rate?

Atb. Aamcle
    • Over 20 Brews From Great Britain

Re: Re:

Post #3 made 10 years ago
I'm away from home and my connection won't let me upload.

I'll explain,
The equipment - an outer pot
an inner basket (perforated)
a BIAB bag lining the basket.
a pump
a spray head
tubing.

After mash in the liquid is the same right across both the inner basket and the outer pot represented by the line of dots.

The top of inner basket and BIAB bag are say 50mm above the level of the liquid and the bottom of the basket is above the base of the outer pot.

Code: Select all

O.                           O
O.   I.                  I.  O
O....I...................l...O
O.   I___________________I.  O
OOOOOOOOOO000000000000000000OO. 
Asci art old but low band width, showing inner basket n outer pot and liquid level.

If liquid is pumped from under the inner basket and returned into the top of the basket we get:-

Code: Select all

O.   I...................I   O
O.   I.                  I.  O <--------
O....I.                  l...O
O.   I___________________I.  O
OOOOOOOOOOO000000000000000000O. 

The level in the inner basket is higher than that in the outer pot.

My thought is that more of the returning liquid will go through the sides of the BIAB bag at the point indicated (<----) rather than through the grain bed.

Is this the feature that allows the recirculating BIAB systems like the HighGravity system to work?

http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productc ... 8p3987.htm

Atb. Aamcle
Last edited by aamcle on 01 Jun 2014, 19:16, edited 2 times in total.

Post #4 made 10 years ago
I haven't looked at your link to the highgravity system Aamcle, but I am presuming your thoughts are that the liquid is taking the path of least resistance (which liquid tends to do) and is thus avoiding beiing drawn through the "grain bed"?

I believe the Braumeister pumps the other way, from the upper wort, down and back up through the grain bed? Or maybe this is the same as your system but it doesnt have any holes in the sides? Lylo will know about this..... malt pipes and the like :scratch:

Thughes did something very similar a few years back as well. I don't know whether he can help as the best advice seems to be "don't bother recirculating". Either that or try and reduce the flow rate, which then makes it almost redundant.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #5 made 10 years ago
I'm running a system now were the returning liquor is split, some into the mash pipe but the majoratory of it is returned between the mash pipe and the wall of the outer vessel.

It keeps temperature well.

Aamcle

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 18 guests