Do I need a Bag or will this do?

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Hello everyone !

I am a new wannabe BIAB brewer from Italy, currently I only brew using kits. Glad I found this great forum with plenty of helpful information that I cannot wait to put in practice. I am currently in the process of buying my setup form an online store here in Italy and had a question that I am sure will find an answer here. Will this steel basket http://www.polsinelli.it/shop/filtri-pe ... d-450.html be a good substitute for a bag? The holes are 1,5 mm and I was wondering if they were small enough to hold the smallest grain particles from the wort after the mash is over and I lift the basket from the pot, or is a bag a better solution?

Thank you
Last edited by usit86 on 12 Jan 2014, 15:38, edited 2 times in total.

Post #2 made 10 years ago
I would use the basket and line it with a bag.
Cube:
fermenter: Sourdough Spelt Ale, Classic Lambic, Oud Brune, Barrel Aged Belgian Dubbel
Kegs: Bob's Black IPA, Blanc Blond, Soda...
to be brewed:

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Hi,

Just seen this, so sorry for the late reply.

You really do need a fine bag as GB has said. I have just got back from Sicily and the weekend markets were full of cloth merchants, most of which sold voile (or voile type cloth).

I made my bags from this and they work very well, easy to cleans and drain the grain really well.

I hope this helps
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 11 guests