DIY Equipment

Post #1 made 14 years ago
G'day all,
I thought I might start a topic so people could show off some of there homemade equipment, seen as I'm a keen diy'er I thought I'd start it off with a couple of pics of my mash paddle and my beer font (both made from stainless steel.)
Cheers Brad ;)
P.s I didn't make the tap though
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wizard78 on 18 Apr 2010, 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
[center]"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/center]

[center]Homer Simpson[/center]
[center]K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.[/center]

Post #2 made 14 years ago
And here is the Beer Font
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[center]"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/center]

Post #3 made 14 years ago
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ..............things of beauty, Wiz.

I use a 500mL chef's ladle as my mash paddle. Does the job, but looks nowhere as cool as yours :(
Everybody's waitin' for the man with the bag ... K Starr (1950)

Post #4 made 14 years ago
Nice work Wiz.

Your topic heading reminds me of that stupid woman on the big green hardware shop's add. She says "The best thing about DIY, is you can do it yourself".

Stupid woman, if someone else did it, it wouldn't be DIY!
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #5 made 14 years ago
hashie wrote:Nice work Wiz.

Your topic heading reminds me of that stupid woman on the big green hardware shop's add. She says "The best thing about DIY, is you can do it yourself".

Gee those ads sh!t me :x , I think they find the dumbest, most annoying people in the country, and then put them on tv
Last edited by wizard78 on 18 Apr 2010, 13:30, edited 10 times in total.
[/center]

Post #6 made 14 years ago
Font looks awesome.
I find the great thing about BIAB is that you can adapt bits and pieces quite cheaply. For my skyhook system I just use a cheap galvanised awning Pulley, about $9, that I've strapped to a 4x2 that sits across a ceiling hatch in the garage, a few metres of awning cord and tie it off to the wall onto a cleat which came in a pack of 2 for $12.

Post #7 made 14 years ago
Thanks guys,
My next projects are probably going to be a grain mill and trying to work out how to make a s/s auto syphon.
Cheers Brad ;)
[/center]

Post #9 made 14 years ago
Pouring wort out of a stockpot when it is cold (link) does have certain advantages! ;)
(... says someone who is about to drill a hole in his stockpot for a bulkhead fitting and a tap... :o Actually I've been NCing for yonks, just won't tell how I've been getting hot wort from the pot to the cube, there's a good chance of cringing. :oops: )
Last edited by Ralph on 20 Apr 2010, 17:43, edited 10 times in total.
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #10 made 14 years ago
wizard78 wrote:Thanks guys,
...a s/s auto syphon.
You are the man Brad!

I have wanted one of these for years and even did some drawings up. I can let you know the corect ID to use etc plus a few other things that need to be oncorporated into the design to make it a super easy syphon.

Forget the mill please and do the syphon!

I think you should quit your job Brad and just concentrate on SS. Perfect paddle and I have no idea how you made that font. Impressive stuff!
Last edited by PistolPatch on 20 Apr 2010, 17:44, edited 10 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #11 made 14 years ago
Thanks Pat,
If you want to PM me what info you've got I'll see what I can do.
[/center]

Post #12 made 14 years ago
O.K Pat and hashie,
I have made a prototype s/s siphon and just got it working, a little tricky since I have never seen one in person, just on websites and youtube demos. It needs a little tweaking and when it is acceptable I'll post some pics.
Cheers Brad ;)
[/center]

Post #14 made 14 years ago
Ok here's the prototype.
08052010461.jpg
08052010462.jpg
I initially couldn't get the thing to suck at all :( , so I thought about it for a couple of weeks, searched the net and finally it clicked. I originally had nothing on the bottom and it couldn't create the back pressure need to push the liquid up. I did a test last night just using my hand to restrict the inlet and it seemed to do the job, so this morning at work I machined up the end piece with a 6mm inlet hole and bam, 1 pump to get the siphon started. :D
Cheers Brad ;)
Last edited by wizard78 on 08 May 2010, 13:13, edited 10 times in total.
[/center]

Post #17 made 14 years ago
wizard78 wrote:
hashie wrote:Nice work Wiz.

Gee those ads sh!t me :x , I think they find the dumbest, most annoying people in the country, and then put them on tv
Nastier than that and as I suspected, they get the staff all relaxed and talking for like half an hour then put the one embarrassing thing they say on the add. :lol:
Last edited by LloydieP on 10 Jun 2010, 23:32, edited 10 times in total.
[center]"Eat my sugar, man[/center]

Post #18 made 13 years ago
OK,
it has been a long time in the making but here is MK2 of the auto syphon. A lot of design changes and trials to get to this point.
I have a week off work this week so will hopefuly get a chance to give it a trial on boiling wort when transfering to no-chill.
Hope your impressed PistolPatch :lol: I know you've been waiting for this.
autosyphonsmall.jpg
autosyphonsmall2.jpg
Cheers Wiz ;)
Last edited by wizard78 on 22 Aug 2010, 14:58, edited 10 times in total.
[/center]

Post #20 made 13 years ago
Once I'm positive it works then I'll price material up and sit down and work out a price. I'll definately pm you hashie when I have figured it all out, as I know you are interested in one ;)
[/center]

Post #23 made 13 years ago
OMG! Wow!

Just wading my way through BIABrewer posts as I have been busy the last fortnight...

Impressed wiz? My word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks brilliant! Some questions for you...

1. I want more pics to feast my eyes on - can you post or send me one of the inside plunger?
2. Does that bit at the bottom unscrew? If so, great!
3. Last question but this is just to make it perfect - have you worked out a slider/holder? This is to hold it against the kettle and allow the user to slide it up and down to get clear wort.

You must know wiz how wrapped I am to see your pics. I hope that last question above isn't too hard :). If you can crack that one though, this will be the duck's nuts - far superior to and more convenient than any kettle tap in my biased view :). In my early days of brewing, having to hold or position the syphon whilst draining didn't worry me. After a while it became a PITA though.

Get the holder/slider bit done and we are looking at perfection!

You do realise that when you get this done I have to work out a way of sealing up the two holes I made in my kettles for ball-valves? (The worst thing I have ever done :evil:)

Wrapped to read this wiz,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 30 Aug 2010, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #24 made 13 years ago
G'day guys,
Well I took the syphon for a test run yesterday, brewed NRB'S All Amarillo Ale (yummy), and it worked a treat.
I did take some pics but they didn't turn out very good.
It coped well with the hot wort into the no-chill and drained 22 liters in about 15 minutes. Not sure how this measures up to manual syphoning.
Anyways, guess I better start working out how much it costs to build one of these things for the interested parties ;)
[/center]

Post #25 made 13 years ago
Good stuff wiz. The 15 minutes is about right with the diameter hose you are using depending on what height you were dropping from. The larger diameter hoses suck faster but are sometimes harder to get or keep going - I had real probs with the larger diameter auto-syphons that are on the market.

The diameter you are using works for a nice, gentle rack and also for filtering or plate chilling.

Cheers,
PP

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 15 guests