Buffalo Boiler - Strainer and Tap

Post #1 made 11 years ago
I thought I would add some pics of the Buffalo boiler tap, as it may be of use to anybody interested.

I have also done a small modification by adding a hop strainer.
tap separated.jpg
Showing the silicone valve removed from the tap body. Very easy to pop on & off for cleaning.
tap complete.jpg
The tap with valve attached.
tap into buffalo.jpg
tap ready to be screwed into the body, take note of my perfect insulation around the kettle!
hop filter drilled.jpg
Here is my hop filter "base view" showing 3mm drilled holes. Note the perfectly circular shape to the copper!!!
hop filter installed.jpg
Here is the filter installed. It also shows that circular shape & how it contours perfectly with the inside diameter (by the way for any non native UK members this is what known as English sarcasm). Damn those pipe benders!

The copper was also soaked in Starsan for 24 hours after these pics to remove patina etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 26 May 2013, 05:06, edited 2 times in total.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Great post mally :salute:,

Apart from the humour :P, one thing I like is the easy to clean tap. Wish those taps could be used on gas outfits!

If you turn your last pic upside down, it forms a question mark and here's what I'm wondering :).

I double-batch and for reasons I won't go onto here, use both s syphon and a tap. You know I always advise syphons are best but let's look at my tap for a minute. On my tap I haven't got any large manifold. Instead, I have this...
Kettle Tap Vacuum.jpg
A couple of things...

[EDIT: Turn pic left 90 degrees. Not sure what is happening there?]
1. Those fittings are probably 1/2" from memory.
2. See how the gap between the pick-up thing and the bottom of the kettle is parrallel? Well, it usually isn't. The right hand side is usually touching the bottom of the kettle, in other words, tilt the pick up thing by about 5 degrees clock-wise from what you see in the attached photo. (Would take the pic again but I'm not pulling that kettle down again ;)).
3. I hate my kettle taps for lots of reasons but...

This pick-up system works really, really well. It drains every last drop from the kettle whilst picking up only he tiniest amount of trub initially. In other words, it sucks up about 50mm diameter of trub and the rest stays where it is, just as though you had put a small, gentle vacuum cleaner into your kettle and held it in the one spot.

Syphon can do the same thing btw if you control it well. With either method though, you don't want to be draining your kettle in two seconds. I'm thinking that any transfer should probably not be any more than 2 litres per minute.

:peace:
PP
PP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 29 May 2013, 19:23, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 11 years ago
I know what you are saying PP, I don't even know if this works on mine yet as I haven't tried it yet, but I would make a guess that the short dip tube idea will be easier, simpler, and more effective. I actually use one on my bottling bucket. :thumbs:

I just happened to find this pipe in my garage so thought I would put it to good use.
I was actually trying to get the shape to "hug" the inside diameter so that it will be as far away from the trub cone as possible, and with all those holes you would avoid any "vacuum cleaner" effects. Anyway that was the thought; just a pity the gorilla with the pipe bender couldn't put it into practice!
G B

Post #4 made 11 years ago
Hahaha. Lol!

I think the lots of little holes still has the vaccumm effect, it's just that there are more effects but of less diameter. The vacuum effect is good though as it means once the initial cloudy crap has passed, everything after that will be clear. So, all's good.

If you do go for something like I have,make sure it is a push-in fitting rather than a screw in one. Can't tell you what a PITA my taps are to 'thread' up :roll:.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #6 made 11 years ago
Thanks Lylo;
I actually heard about that today as well, and someone also recommended table salt as it can be easily flushed out of any crevices etc.

However, a gorilla is always a gorilla whatever tools you give him :whistle:
G B

Post #7 made 11 years ago
Mally

I think you will be fine with those holes mine ( Here ) has 268 at 3mm and it filters fine. I reckon you have a winning design there, don't worry about the patent as I don't think anyone will be able to copy it :lol:

:peace:

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 30 May 2013, 03:29, edited 2 times in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #9 made 10 years ago
It will work fine without any alterations, other than a camping mat etc, to keep it better insulated.

If you experience thermal trips, or overtemperature cycling then it is possible to modify, but the electrics in mine are unchanged.
G B

Post #11 made 10 years ago
I'm not sure I fully understand your question;

I use a Voile BIAB bag, and also have a pulley system above it.
I never apply heat during the mash, I just stir occasionally and leave it as is.

The Buffalo also has a temp regulator (dial), so you "could" effectively set the dial and it will keep at that temp. However, I have never used it, nor trust it, so just leave it at maximum.
G B

Post #12 made 10 years ago
I've found your post really useful, whilst i'm waiting for my Buffalo to be delivered.

Do you attach a hose to your tap to run into your fermentor? I am planning on trying out non-chilling of the wort using a cube, so am going to need to run a hose from the Buffalo tap, so was wondering if you knew what size hose was needed, so I can order some.

Thanks

Post #13 made 10 years ago
I use 1 metre of silicone tubing that is 1/2" (12.7mm I.D. X 3.2mm wall) to run into the no chill cubes.

You do have to be careful though. It can work free during transfer sometimes, so unless you have a jubilee clip or similar you can end up with some scalded toes (I wonder how I know that)! :whistle:
G B

Post #15 made 10 years ago
gabriele78 wrote:Hello to all.

I would buy the kettle BUFFALO 40L and I would like hear from who owns it if can be used immediately to make BIAB or requires changes

I use a 40L buffalo boiler for BIAB and its great. I originally was using it just as the boiler for 3 vessel brewing, but since getting a bag I've not used my mash tun at all, BIAB is making me some great beers. After the mashing is done I tip out the grain and rinse the bag and put it back in for the boil with the hops in it.

So that I can apply a bit of heat during the mash when needed I keep the bottom of the bag away from the element. Initially I just used an upside-down stainless steel colendar for this task.

Chris
Last edited by bigchris on 31 May 2014, 17:11, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 20 guests