Blichmann Boil Maker for BIAB

Post #1 made 12 years ago
I have a 15 Gallon Blichmann Boil Maker, I was wondering if anyone is using this kettle for BIAB. I have just recently purchased this kettle and I did not take into account the thermostat probe that extends into the kettle. I have not tried to brew a batch with this kettle yet, however it seems to me that the thermostat probe would interfere or puncture the bag.
Any feed back that can address this issue would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

Post #2 made 12 years ago
Hi iDrop

Its getting late here and I'm off to bed and just saw our post..
You may have to search but I'm sure someone on here covered there probe with an adapted stainless sieve. I'll have a look myself tomorrow night.

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 12 years ago
iDrop wrote:I have a 15 Gallon Blichmann Boil Maker, I was wondering if anyone is using this kettle for BIAB. I have just recently purchased this kettle and I did not take into account the thermostat probe that extends into the kettle. I have not tried to brew a batch with this kettle yet, however it seems to me that the thermostat probe would interfere or puncture the bag.
Any feed back that can address this issue would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs:
Blichmann makes a plug to fill the hole.

See here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/blic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... g-kit.html

Michael
Last edited by datamichael on 07 Nov 2011, 09:12, edited 5 times in total.

Post #4 made 12 years ago
Good Day, If you can cover the end of the probe to the bottom of the kettle, the bag will not get caught. I think the false bottom/dip tube in the Kettle can be removed and modified to do this.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 12 years ago
I don't have that problem with my old converted keggle, if you'd like I will send it to you in exchange for your Blingman. :pray:
WWBBD?

Post #7 made 12 years ago
Thank you for all the great suggestions, they gave me a lot of insight on how to address my issue. I think I will remove the thermostat from the kettle and use the plug that datamichael suggested. I will have to use an external thermostat but that is not a problem. Again, thank you for all your help. :salute:

Post #8 made 12 years ago
I have yet to do my first BIAB. So I should probably just keep quiet. :whistle: I have the 20 gallon Blichmann. I want to use the thermometer. I was just planning on pushing the bag away from the probe with a long stainless spoon while hoisting the bag. Also thinking of not hoisting directly up the center but slightly away from the probe side.

:pray: Oh God get me hooked up with a bag soon! I can't wait to convert over to BIAB. My mash tun will make a good cooler.

Post #10 made 12 years ago
joshua wrote:Good Day Ziggybrew, a thermoProbe can cause a problem with the bag. Check out these ideas viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1113&hilit=cake+rack and viewtopic.php?f=5&t=710&hilit=probe+cover Hope this helps.
I'm curious to see if the Blichmann Hop Blocker (when it arrives) may be close enough to the probe to achieve the same affect. Any ideas? In pictures, it seems to stick out further and be right underneath. Maybe a basket (like in the pic) can be attached to the top? Maybe I'm getting too detailed.
Last edited by Ziggybrew on 02 Dec 2011, 07:48, edited 4 times in total.

Post #11 made 12 years ago
Hey Ziggybrew, my offer to the OP is graciously extended to you too (I can even deliver, if you'd like). :thumbs:

---Todd
WWBBD?

Post #12 made 12 years ago
Silly question; I have a 15gal Blichman with a false bottom. I treat the kettle as a bag and drain (full boil) into a boil kettle. I know it's "technically" not BIAB but is there a name for it? What, if any are the problems I should be aware of?

Post #13 made 12 years ago
There are no silly questions, only silly answers. :scratch:

Your 15 gallon kettle (as you are employing it) is technically referred to as a MLT (mash lauter tun). Sounds like you're doing 2V brewing (two vessel) but we won't hold it against you. When you get tired of cleaning two pots at the end of the brew day you can just use a bag in your boil kettle to mash with and you'll be doing a true BIAB. (and send me that Blingman you no longer need)

Either way you are making beer! :drink:
WWBBD?

Post #14 made 12 years ago
The most I've done is 36lbs in the 15 Gal boilermaker and I still have the probe installed. You just have to be careful when pulling the bag.

Here's a thread of my brewday if you'd like to check it out:

http://www.brewgeeks.com/a-biab-brewday-tknice.html
Last edited by tknice on 11 Apr 2012, 09:22, edited 4 times in total.
http://brewgeeks.com It's Dry Hopped and Fully Attenuated!

** My BIAB Brewday **
http://www.brewgeeks.com/a-biab-brewday-tknice.html

Post #15 made 12 years ago
Hey there again,
I now have had several BIAB sessions with my Blichmann 20. My bag was made by Jeff Omundnson. Even though I'm careful and had a spoon ready to guide the bag away from the probe; it seems to draw-up and bypass the probe without touching or catching. This may be due to my decision to place the hoist point (pulley mount) just slightly off center above the kettle, away from the probe. It works great. (just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents after experiencing it in action).
Hope this was worth sharing.

Post #17 made 12 years ago
I'm BIABing in a Blichmann 20G, and am not finding the probe to be an issue at all. Sure, fill the gap and use an external thermometer if you prefer, but it shouldn't be a problem. Much depends on the bag, of course.

Post #18 made 12 years ago
I'm using the 15 gallon boilermaker for 5 gallon batches and havent had any problems in the last year or so I've been using it. When I pull the bag, the sides tend to suck in and the probe just isn't in the way. Now if I were to do a 10 gallon batch, I could see there maybe a problem but I haven't tried that yet.

Post #19 made 12 years ago
thughes wrote:Do you have one of Jeff's new bags with the rounded bottom or the old pillow case style?
Wow, sorry I overlooked this so long. I have the square pillowcase kind with no probe issues. A rounded bottom would be an awesome design change. I love my bag from Jeff, but when hoisted up, I have to be careful the corners don't pop out from the sides like a pair of boobs. I've had issues with wort gushing down the sides if I'm not ready. A rounded bottom would solve that. Got a get me one soon (or have a seamstress modify this bag) [Could even make some hop bags out of the corners :scratch:]
Still love the Blichmann and Jeff-bag combo!
Last edited by Ziggybrew on 10 Jun 2012, 10:06, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Bags, Mashers, Thermometers, Kettles etc.”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 28 guests