pre-pitching volumes and other measurements recap

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi!
I'll brew my first beer in two days. I have a few questions about the measurement I will take in order to fill the BIABacus.
I searched the forum for these answers but I really couldn't find everything I need.
I know this is a lot but, even if I don't fully understand the meaning and the impact of every measure the BIABacus accepts, I'd like to keep track of all the things in the BIABacus.

I'll start with the measurements for which I couldn't exactly understand the right measuring moment:
- "Mash Volume": should this be taken right after I add the grains? Or a few minutes into the mashing process before starting the protein rest?
- "Volume at flame-out (VFO)": I really couldn't find when this should be taken;
- "Gravity of Ambient Wort (GAW)": should this be taken when the boiling process is ended, right before moving the wort into the fermentor?
- "Wort lost from fermentor" from section N of the BIABacus: isn't this the same as the "Kettle to fermentor loss (KFL)"? I guess that maybe this should take into account also the wort lost by taking the GAW measure after I move the wort in the fermentor (if this is true it will solve the previous question).
- Actual Original Gravity which is compared to the "Expected Original Gravity" from section O: how is this different from the GAW?

Of these, instead, I am fairly sure when to measure but I'll write them down anyway, hoping to be corrected if necessary:
- "VIB" & "GIB": these should be taken when the wort starts to boil. I turn off the heat and take the measurements.
- "KFL": I measures with a graduated cup what is left in the pot after I move the wort in the fermentor.
- "VIF": I think it pretty much explains itself; I measure the volume of the wort in the fermentor, which won't be more than 23 liters, given my fermentor capacity.

I thank you in advance and I really hope you will take the time to answer me!
:)

Post #2 made 9 years ago
gnmrc wrote:Hi!
I'll brew my first beer in two days. I have a few questions about the measurement I will take in order to fill the BIABacus.
I searched the forum for these answers but I really couldn't find everything I need.
I know this is a lot but, even if I don't fully understand the meaning and the impact of every measure the BIABacus accepts, I'd like to keep track of all the things in the BIABacus.

I'll start with the measurements for which I couldn't exactly understand the right measuring moment:
- "Mash Volume": should this be taken right after I add the grains? Or a few minutes into the mashing process before starting the protein rest?
- "Volume at flame-out (VFO)": I really couldn't find when this should be taken;
- "Gravity of Ambient Wort (GAW)": should this be taken when the boiling process is ended, right before moving the wort into the fermentor?
- "Wort lost from fermentor" from section N of the BIABacus: isn't this the same as the "Kettle to fermentor loss (KFL)"? I guess that maybe this should take into account also the wort lost by taking the GAW measure after I move the wort in the fermentor (if this is true it will solve the previous question).
- Actual Original Gravity which is compared to the "Expected Original Gravity" from section O: how is this different from the GAW?

Of these, instead, I am fairly sure when to measure but I'll write them down anyway, hoping to be corrected if necessary:
- "VIB" & "GIB": these should be taken when the wort starts to boil. I turn off the heat and take the measurements.
- "KFL": I measures with a graduated cup what is left in the pot after I move the wort in the fermentor.
- "VIF": I think it pretty much explains itself; I measure the volume of the wort in the fermentor, which won't be more than 23 liters, given my fermentor capacity.

I thank you in advance and I really hope you will take the time to answer me!
:)
Welcome to the forum gnmrc! Did you get the 50 L pot, does it have a flat bottom and straight sides? If so, that will make it easy to calculate the volume by using the BIABacus, REFERENCE Section's B, U and V. With your pot leveled, you can take a headspace measurement or measure from the bottom up.

The first IMPORTANT measurement should be the VIB/GIB, then the KFL and VIF.

The VAW = VIF + KFL

From there, you can deduce your VFO and Evaporation rate. :)

The GAW IS THE OG, it's to be measures cold (at fermentation temp., at what the hydro is calibrated at).

The standard practice is a 90 mins. boil, so get a good rolling boil and go for 90 mins., then see where you are volume-wise. It's standard practice to add some water later if you boil down too much, so don't worry there. It's better to fall short on volume, to add water afterwards, then to have weak wort.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 03 Oct 2014, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Hi Mad!
thank you for answering me!
Mad_Scientist wrote: From there, you can deduce your VFO and Evaporation rate. :)
How should I deduce the VFO?

And also, can you please shed a light on all the measurements I don't know when to make? I mean the ones in the first part of my post...
It would be reallt helpful...I know how the process works but I couldn't find a guide that says when exactly to take the measurements!

thank you again!!!
Last edited by gnmrc on 03 Oct 2014, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.

Post #4 made 9 years ago
I found, when it comes to measuring volumes in the kettle, that internal markings work best for me. I added water from a calibrated measuring device (Pyrex measuring bowl) in quarter gallon increments, which I then diligently marked with a grease pencil on the inside of the kettle. I then went back and masked off the marks, cleaned them off and electro-etched (is that a real word?) them in place, along with whole gallon numbering as appropriate. There's a thread around here somewhere about how to do the etching...really easy with a 9v battery, some wire, a q-tip and a salt/vinegar solution.

The result is easy to read maks that can be used at any time throughout the process...

Post #5 made 9 years ago
gnmrc wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote: From there, you can deduce your VFO and Evaporation rate. :)
How should I deduce the VFO?
If you want to investigate what your VFO was, and/or to double check it against what you measured, you can use Section L and the Unit Conversion tool "Wort Expansion and Contraction". More on that later, if needed.

I ran out of time yesterday, so...
VFO is measured in the same manner as VIB, by stopping the flame/heat source, waiting a little while (maybe 30-45 seconds), also mix and stir and grab a large enough sample for a gravity reading.

Mash Volume can be measured anytime after the grain is added, it changes little. This volume is NOT IMPORTANT, only for approximation. It's helpful to know if you are stretching the limits.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 03 Oct 2014, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 9 years ago
MS has done a bang up job of answering these questions(as always :champ: ). I've tried to answer them as well using your original post hopefully to allow you to better understand.
gnmrc wrote:Hi!

As MS has said this is not too important. It's purpose is to tell you how much volume is needed for your mash and that it doesn't overfill your pot. You will recieve an error message if this number exceeds your pot size
gnmrc wrote: - "Volume at flame-out (VFO)": I really couldn't find when this should be taken;
This is the volume of wort after flame-out. This number is usefull to gauge how your brew has gone so far and points to wheather you need to add water to reach your desired VIF. If this number is consistantly low you my be getting a higher than predicted boil-off and we can make changes in the BIABacus to reflect this.
gnmrc wrote: - "Gravity of Ambient Wort (GAW)": should this be taken when the boiling process is ended, right before moving the wort into the fermentor?
Take this measurement after the boil. Allow this sample to cool to ambient temperatures before reading. This is your OG
gnmrc wrote: - "Wort lost from fermentor" from section N of the BIABacus: isn't this the same as the "Kettle to fermentor loss (KFL)"? I guess that maybe this should take into account also the wort lost by taking the GAW measure after I move the wort in the fermentor (if this is true it will solve the previous question).
This is the amount leftover from your fermentor going into packaging. This is the yeasties ect left behind that don't get transfered into your keg or bottling bucket after fermentation.
gnmrc wrote: - Actual Original Gravity which is compared to the "Expected Original Gravity" from section O: how is this different from the GAW?
The BIABacus will calculate an expected OG. The actual OG will be the same as GAW.
gnmrc wrote: Of these, instead, I am fairly sure when to measure but I'll write them down anyway, hoping to be corrected if necessary:
Take these before boiling. Again allow sample to cool to ambiant before reading.
gnmrc wrote: - "KFL": I measures with a graduated cup what is left in the pot after I move the wort in the fermentor.
Yup and Yup! :thumbs:
Welcome and good luck

Prost!
Last edited by Lumpy5oh on 04 Oct 2014, 00:49, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are like slinkies. Not good for much, but bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Weehoosebrewing.ga
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Canada

Post #7 made 9 years ago
Lumpy5oh wrote:I've tried to answer them as well using your original post hopefully to allow you to better understand.
Thank you Lumpy! Now I have everything ready!

Thanks everybody!
Last edited by gnmrc on 11 Oct 2014, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Measurement, Mathematics and Records”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 15 guests