Post #2 made 10 years ago
Bit of this might be sucking eggs to you but its easier this way.

Gravity is expressed usually like this 1.012, if the reading is actually 12.4 points you can't write it as 1.012.4 ( in Biabacus anyway) so its written 1.012/4.

The biabacus will calculate gravity to 3 decimal places hence the use of '/#' the brewer will be hard pushed to get an actual brew reading this accurate so I think it defaults to the /0.

Actually I've just had a look at version PR1.3T and entering the value as 1.012/4 in GIB returns a #value! error in the Actual EIB box. :dunno: I'll PM the Biabacus gods an report it as a bug.

:thumbs:

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Thanks Yeasty,
I noticed that entering the /0 also gave the #value error, so thanks for the response and reporting that.

Bottom line, looks like it's nothing I need to really worry about.

Now i've gotta figure out why i missed so badly on my numbers today. 1.052 expected ended up as an actual 1.040. Not sure what happened just yet. Volume #'s all checked out but my mash did lose 5F over 90 minutes which was unexpected, will post in another thread if I can't figure it out so it's not buried in this thread.

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Just quickly guys, if you want to enter 1.012/4, make sure you just type 1.0124 without the slash. The BIABacus puts in the slash.

It will only show /0 if it is actaully /0. In other words, there is no default if that makes sense. ;).
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 10 years ago
Don't worry Yeasty, sometimes I forget stuff like that as well :).
wstehling wrote:Got it, i wish my eyes were good enough to discern .004 though. :roll:
:lol:

Actually, the idea here is not really about entering measured gravity figures to three decimal places but mind you if you can't decide between 1.052 and 1.053, then sure, just type in 1.0525. The real purpose though is education. For example...

Sometimes people might wonder why if they make a dilution, their post boil doesn't change. With only two decimal places, it can take a relatively large amount of anything for the numbers tick over from say 1.052 to 1.053. In fact, let's look at how much of a dilution it could take to see your numbers change from 1.053 to 1.052.

Let's say you have 25 litres going in to your fermentor and let's say that you weren't sure whether it was 1.053 or 1.054. You decide to type in 1.0534 as it looked a tad closer to 1.053. If displayed in two decimal places, it would read 1.053.To get it to read as 1.052, you could dilute with anywhere between 450 ml to 940 mls. That's a pretty big margin.

The above problem/question will not occur in the BIABacus precisely because it does display 3 decimal points.

Hopefully that makes sense.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 28 Apr 2014, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Measurement, Mathematics and Records”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 6 guests