BIABicus and priming sugar calculation

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Gents, I just want to see if I am using BIABIcus correctly when it comes to priming calculations.

I put in my CO2 volume into section H as well as my Fermentation temp. With that in Section Q it shows the amount of corn Sugar / dextrose to use per bottle. As well as bottles needed etc.

In my case I have 21.5 litres going into 500ml bottles. I want a CO2 volume of 3.0, BIABIcus tells me I need 43 bottles and 3.6grams per bottle (Using 500ml Bottles) Now I bulk prime so 43 x 3.6 is 155grams (or close enough)

However when I use other calculators around the place (and I tried 3 or 4 I found in Google and they all come out much the same) It tells me I need closer to 180 grams of Dextrose.

Any reasons for these discrepancies? Or am I missing something?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 10 years ago
I've been curious about this myself. Bulk priming with dextrose, I've been very happy with 2.25 volumes for pale ales/IPA's ... it seems about the same as what I buy (which I read is typically 2.5-2.7 in the US).

However, in kegging .. I've been having to put it up to about 13-14psi to get the same level on an identical beer. The BIABacus tells me around 10psi for the 2.25 volumes, but this never matches the bottles.

I guess it's just one of those things I have to use experience to figure out, after reading PP's post. Maybe my regulator is shite, who knows.

I also want to move toward a beer gun type setup, that should be interesting.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Good question bundy and as the guys above said, I am not sure we have a clear answer to this. Here's a copy of a post I wrote in another thread that works in conjunction with what MS posted.
This is interesting. 2trout is getting gushers on the BIABacus and rockbottom is getting undercarbonation.

So, what's going on? :scratch:. This has been bugging me for ages so let's dig a little deeper...

Let's assume 19 L (5 gals) of beer that has to be primed and that it has been sitting at say 15 C (59 F) and that we want 2.5 Vols of CO2. Then, with corn sugar...

BIABacus says 100 grams or 3.5 oz
Brewing Classic Styles (John Palmer) says 100 grams or 3.5 oz
BobBrew's Formula says 113 grams or 4.0 oz
PistolPatch's Carbonation Lollies equate to 180 grams or 6.35 oz
New Brewing Lager (Gregory Noonan) says 212 grams or 7.5 oz

Figure that one out :roll:. I have no idea what to do with this atm apart from leave it as is :smoke:,
PP

P.S1. Dextrose (corn sugar) is pretty much always used as the priming sugar by micro breweries etc.

P.S2. To ensure that kegged beer and bottled beer turns out to have the same alcohol content, breweries add water to the beer being primed to compensate for the alcohol added by the priming sugar. (Only learned that one two days ago - thanks DanT ;))
That post can be found here and the rest of that thread has more info. When someone finds the answer please let me know.

:?
PP

P.S. Btw, haven't forgotten the other stuff I owe you a replu on bundy. Getting there ;).
Last edited by PistolPatch on 04 Apr 2014, 16:44, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #6 made 10 years ago
Yep, the BIABaus accounts for temperature whereas several other calculators don't.

We really need to be collecting information on this from a whole lot of brewers to find out what the real story is ;).
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #7 made 9 years ago
Bumping this thread to ask...

If you have feedback on what priming sugar rates are working for you, can you please post them in this thread even if you have already done so above? This would really help to finalise the BIABacus priming formula.

Please note your height above sea level as well if you can. Much appreciated :peace:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 17 Aug 2014, 19:37, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Measurement, Mathematics and Records”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 22 guests