Attempted the Biabicus

Post #1 made 10 years ago
So I tried the Biabicus for the first time. To create this recipe I have used the ingredients from a lagunitas clone. Then I used the same measurements and volumes from the last beer I brewed Which was a dead guy clone That mad scientist had all ready brewed. For example I had about 8 pounds of grains and Un fermentables. So I just kept this same weight measurement , I did the same with the hops. Then I simply divided the grain bill weight by the three new grains proportionally In my mind this seems logical but....I am still learning.
I have posted images of my reports. Maybe someone could double check my work. Does everything look normal? If so would these measurements be relatively the same on any brew since my equipment will not change? I would also like to know how MS was able to scale down his recipee using the Biabicus. I seem to remember trying to adjust the weight of my grain on the Biabicus and not seeing it effect anything else, only when I played with the FG. What am I missing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #2 made 10 years ago
Weiss, Can you attach your file to a post ? scroll to the bottom of the "Post a reply" screen and there is a section for attaching files.

It will be much easier to look at the actual file plus it can be edited and reposted if someone finds a issue.

:salute:

Yeasty
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Weisseguy wrote:I would also like to know how MS was able to scale down his recipee using the Biabicus.
I entered your desired VIF into Section B and printed out the report for you.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 01 Feb 2014, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Hey there Weisse :peace:,

What I think you have done here is made a whole lot of calculations that the BIABacus already does for you. Let's have a look...

Scaling a Recipe

If you download the BIABacus American Pale Ale recipe in this post, all you have to do to scale it, in Section B, just change...

1. Kettle Diameter (to match your kettle)
2. Kettle Height (to match your kettle)
3. Desired Volume into Ferementor (to match the batch size you want to brew)

That's it - end of story.

The same goes for any BIABacus file where no red 'full-volume' or 'default adjustment' warnings pop up.

Would these measurements be relatively the same on any brew?

No. For example on my system to get a certain Volume into Fermentor, I would need 2.0 kg of grain to get a 1.035 brew, 5.3 kg for a 1.050 brew and 7.4 kg for a 1.065 Original Gravity brew. The hop bill varies from about 40 to 53 grams for the same level of bitterness.

Keep it Simple and Play

Don't be scared of the BIABacus. Make sure you have a play around with it. You can learn a lot by just changing one thing at a time.

Here's a few other main things you need to know.

Section C and D have a left and right side. Your pics don't show the right side but that side show the results of your scaling. They are the quantities you need to buy to brew that beer. So what does the left side do?

You know how you mucked around dividing things by three etc etc? You don't need to do any of that. On the grain bill side all you need from the original recipe are the original gravity and the weights or ratios (percentages) of each grain used. You can type either of these into the left hand side - it doesn't matter. Even if you just put percentages on the left hand side, these will be converted to the amount you should use on the right hand side.

With hops, we either need to know the amount of wort there was after the boil and after chilling in the original recipe (very rare to find in other program reports) or the IBU's in TInseth of the recipe (also rare to find in other program reports). You will have to guess one of these when you are dealing with what we call 'low integrity' recipes. You need to put one of these numbers into the first two lines of Section D.

On the left hand side of Section D, you type in the AA%, mins and amounts of the hops used in the original recipe. Usually, the hops you buy from the shop won't be exactly the same AA% as the hops use originally. Just type the AA% of the hop you buy under 'Substitutions' on the right hand side.

The FG won't have affected your grain bill. As mentioned above, OG would though. The main sections to concentrate on when starting out are A, B, C, D, then K and P.

If you still have difficulties, make sure you post the file up as Yeasty suggested along with all the details of the original recipe. Without the original recipe, we won't be able to check anything.

;)
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 01 Feb 2014, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Success! After applying your suggestions I have managed to convert a "Low Integrity" recipe to match my equipment. My problem was that i didnt understand that the "the original grain bill design " was the LI recipe. Kinda of a "DuH" moment for me :scratch: Anyhow I am feeling more confident now with the Biabicus. I think my next brew will be an original design instead of a clone.Thanks to all for helping me again.PP,MS and Yeasty. I will update you guys on this LLSS clone recipe when its complete.

Return to “Measurement, Mathematics and Records”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 18 guests