Finally I understand why BIAB FULL volume is efficient

Post #1 made 11 years ago
It finally clicked into place why BIAB full volume is only slightly lower efficiency than traditional part volume and sparge:
- The same amount of sugars are present in the traditional high concentration wort as the low concentration BIAB full volume.
- The sugars lost from BIAB are those not squeezed from the grain bag, but they are low concentration
- The same sugars are mostly rinsed from the grain during traditional sparging
- Therefore, you are losing something like 2 to 4 liters of low concentration wort

If I shoot for a 20l batch into the fermenter at 50 points
allow 4 l for grain absorbtion
allow 4 l for boil off
total of 28l to begin
24L of wort
wort concentration of 20/24*50= 42 points

Assume BIAB I only hit 40 points in the wort before boil.
40*24/20=48 points, a 4% difference

If I have a smaller pot and want to do BIAB, then I am creating concentrated wort and it is advantageous to do at least a dunk sparge.
Last edited by Epimetheus on 15 Feb 2013, 04:03, edited 2 times in total.
I should have thought of that.

Post #2 made 11 years ago
I get better efficiency with full volume BIAB than I did with traditional double batch sparge in a converted cooler mash tun! I think other ex 3V brewers will weigh in here and also confirm that they get better efficiency with BIAB than they did with more traditional methods.

---Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Like the way you are thinking Epithemeus :salute:,

As Todd mentioned, the truth is that you should actually get a higher Efficiency into Kettle (EIK) with BIAB than traditional. I don't like putting numbers out on the net unless they are well-researched but here's a few thoughts for you. When I moved to BIAB, my EIK on say a 1.050 brew went up by 5%. I did one side by side of BIAB and three-vessel and this also came up 5% higher.

I actually don't think this is the question you are really thinking on though. I suspect what you are really thinking is, "Is a pure BIAB (one that is mashed with all the water) more or less efficient than say a Maxi-BIAB where all the water needed for the brew was added in two stages?"

Is that more along the lines of your thinking or am I guessing incorrectly?

If so, the current answer I would give you, based on side by side brews I have done etc, is that there is no difference between the above two methods. The basic logic and reasoning behind this is more simple than you are currently thinking but it is very hard for our brains to accept the simplicity.

If you are interested in what causes this mental 'struggle', have a look at some of my posts that contain the keywords, 'washing machine.' They'll probably be long but I think will interest someone like yourself who is obviously putting some good thinking into this area.

Good on you ;),
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “Measurement, Mathematics and Records”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 18 guests