Post #2 made 13 years ago
I use 17L hard sided stackable HDPE cubes.

These are the empties from Fresh Wort Kits (which are basically commercial no-chill cubes)

Such as this one
I also have one Willow 23L Water Jerry
Which is good for a single undiluted batch, but I prefer the utility of the stackable cubes.

The cubes essentially cost me a 2$ forfeited deposit each, and I slighty concentrate my wort so one 17L cube makes 20L of wort, which fills a keg perfectly.

Others use 20L cubes which are slightly more cubic slightly wide/deeper and shorter
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=2939" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CraftBrewer also supplies 20L wort kits which for 49$ come in the same cube they sell for 17.90$
Last edited by stux on 07 Jun 2011, 15:07, edited 5 times in total.
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #4 made 13 years ago
7 gallon Aqua-tainer. They come with a built-in spigot. If you let them cool on the side and then drain with the spigot, the dead space (@ one gallon) contains all the trub and you get nothing but clean wort out. 6.5 gallons hot wort in, 5.5 gallons clean wort out into the FV. I then filter that left-over gallon of wort/trub and save it for making starters.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? ... CEAQ8wIwAA
Last edited by thughes on 07 Jun 2011, 20:33, edited 5 times in total.
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #6 made 13 years ago
Lylo wrote:Thanks stux.So you are boiling it down til it will fit or just how do you calculate a concentrated wort?
Good question ;)

I use my Maxi-BIAB Calculator to work it out
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=595

There is a section in the equipment tab for cube volume which I set to 17, 23 or 34 (17x2) depending on which cubes I want to use and the calculator does the rest
Last edited by stux on 07 Jun 2011, 22:05, edited 5 times in total.
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda

5/7/12

Post #7 made 13 years ago
Thanks stux,it's me again.I thought there were quite afew people using the collapsable type cubes.I hear about them sqeezing the cube to get any extra air out.
AWOL

Post #8 made 13 years ago
I am of the school of thought that the heat from the (almost) boiling wort will sanitize any air trapped inside the cube.
WWBBD?

Post #9 made 13 years ago
Lylo wrote:Thanks stux,it's me again.I thought there were quite afew people using the collapsable type cubes.I hear about them sqeezing the cube to get any extra air out.
Well, the cubes soften when they have the hot wort, so even a "hard walled" cube can be squeezed to eliminate the headspace as long as their is not too much.

I'm not sure about the collapsible cubes, is the softer plastic still safe for hot wort?
Last edited by stux on 08 Jun 2011, 22:46, edited 5 times in total.

5/7/12

Post #10 made 13 years ago
I have no idea if they are safe or not.They are heavier plastic than the fresh wort bags we get here.I think maybe I didn't quite understand that theses rigid cubes became that pliable.good to know.Thanks
PS. For sale
I Reliance collapsable water container.Never used.Still in original bag with 7.95 cdn price tag.Offers?
AWOL

Post #11 made 13 years ago
Well, a 17L cube is pliable enough that you can fill it with say 14L and squeeze out the 3L of headspace

5/7/12

Post #12 made 12 years ago
So an update,

I found i didn't like the 17L cubes for 20L batches, and I use my 23L Jerry's for them

But I've recently started doing triples, ie 60L and 4 of the 17L cubes filled to just above 15L is perfect

edit: some pictures

60L in 4 15/17L cubes (3 keg batch) just out of the kettle
3 4 little babies.jpg
filling 23L jerry with siphon+jiggle attachment
filling 23L jerry.jpg
full 23L jerry on its side to pasteurize
full 23L jerry.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stux on 28 Mar 2012, 08:59, edited 7 times in total.

5/7/12

Post #13 made 12 years ago
I am with Todd on this one. I have the aqua-tainer and it has worked great. In addition to the spigot it has the opening at the top to allow air which is adjustable. I use that to control the flow of my wort into the fermentor.
Fermenting:

Bottle Conditioning

Up Next:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #14 made 12 years ago
I am not really convinced that squeezing out the air is really that necessary? I do it but I don't burn myself trying for every cubic inch for a normal batch of beer 5 gal - 19 liters! It seems that it always comes down from some former home-brewer who is now a professional. It is important when your brewing large amounts but at our level? I doubt it?

"What say yee all"? Why do we do it at our level?
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #15 made 12 years ago
I don't even make an attempt to remove the air.

PS: I'm going to try the fermcap. I've got 5.75 gallons of BB's maltbomb in a 6 gallon winpac and pitching yeast into it today......sure hope you're right about this stuff Bob. :pray:
WWBBD?

Post #16 made 12 years ago
thughes,

I hope so too! I have never had a problem but I use common sense and not overfill?? I had to clean a Porter or two off the bathroom walls to see the error of my ways. I trust that the gunk will stay down enough not to clog the bottom of the air lock? If a drop is all they say give it two! In the Polar brew 2012 movie. The guy who was "pouring" in the Fermcap was the same guy who taught me about it! He had to clean up after a 40 barrel boil-over! Professional brewers screw up too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQgOa5u1fes Polar Brew 2012 Near the end!
Last edited by BobBrews on 29 Mar 2012, 21:37, edited 5 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!

Post #17 made 12 years ago
No airlock for the first week.....either a piece of tinfoil, plastic wrap, or a balloon, which ever is handy at the time.

although
krausen
powered
airlock
rockets
are
really
neat

---Todd
WWBBD?

Post #18 made 12 years ago
I think I will join Bob in the "I don't squeeze the cube" camp.I don't think it's needed and my cubes are starting to look a little deformed.I have started using Fermcap about 5 brews ago and like everything about it.I haven't found a reliable source that has anything bad to say about it.
AWOL

Post #19 made 12 years ago
I squeeze the air out of my cubes, but not because I'm worried about the air infecting the beer (I'm sure the heat will take care of that!). I am worried about the air expanding, due to the heat, and making my cube go pop.

My "cubes" have a threaded hole for a tap, which is plugged and I worry this will blow out if the air pressure gets to great in the cube.
"It's beer Jim, but not as we know it."

Post #20 made 12 years ago
So I guess I will just move my tent somewhere between you two and just squeeze the cube a little bit! :cool: Do either of you snore or sleep walk. :shoot:
Last edited by Lylo on 30 Mar 2012, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
AWOL

Post #22 made 12 years ago
I'm a squeezer.
I also snore. But like Hashie, I'm asleep so I don't hear it. My wife on the other hand... :argh:

I like to get most of the air out of the cube. This way, I can see at a quick glance that my precious is ok and an infection hasn't started to ferment it without my permission!

Other than that, I don't think there are any compelling reasons to squeeze it.

HC
Part of the NoAd brewers

My mum says I'm cool.

Post #23 made 12 years ago
I put the cube against a wall, Tilt it 45° so the air is by the lid, put a towel on my knee for protection and opera k the lid and knee it to expel the air. Then tighten again :)

I like the results, and a nice air tight cube means I can tell if it starts to swell!

5/7/12

Post #24 made 12 years ago
I use these. If these came in bigger sizes I think they would have been the ideal NC & fermenter cubes. I'm a semi-squeezer :) - I only squeeze if I've got a lot of head-space (16L into a 20L cube).
I don't snore, just breath very, very loudly when I :sleep:
Last edited by lambert on 30 Mar 2012, 22:15, edited 5 times in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Swaziland

Post #25 made 12 years ago
I am using these cubes same as Stux
stux wrote:I use 17L hard sided stackable HDPE cubes.
They come full of excellent fresh wort or the guys at the shop sometimes have a few for nix..

I'm keen to scale a few recipes with these up to 20L

I can comfortably do doubles with my 50L SS pot
Last edited by nu_brew on 02 Jun 2012, 19:22, edited 5 times in total.
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer."
- Henry Lawson

Return to “Chilling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 18 guests