Small batch no chill recommendations..

Post #1 made 8 years ago
Hola everyone.

I brew 2-2.5 gallon batches on my stove. BIAB of course.

I'm looking to get into no chill. I love the idea of the US Plastics WInpak cubes.... but would there be a problem using a five gallon to chill such a small amount?

I looked and couldn't find something around the 3 gallon mark that was the same type of product.

Just looking for any suggestions. I use the 12L Speidel containers to ferment in. Would they be ok to no chill overnight?

http://www.morebeer.com/products/speide ... 2-gal.html

Bryan
Last edited by ford on 30 Jun 2015, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 8 years ago
Bellybuster wrote:I just did 45l in a 60l Speidel, no chill, no problem. Ensure the fermenter is well sanitized.

I'm guessing you then just pitched your yeast straight in once it reached the desired temperature?

My Speidel currently has StarSan inside of it, so we should be sterilized. Do you let the wort cool to a certain temp before going into the Speidel?
Last edited by ford on 30 Jun 2015, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.

Post #4 made 8 years ago
I went straight from boil kettle into the fermenter. Its my first time trying this.
Yeast was pitched once the wort hit proper pitching temp (aprox 14 hours). that was 10 last night and it was fermenting happily this morning.
I can't say whether this is the way to go or not, first time and I haven't tasted the beer yet. Feels all wrong after many years of chilling wort in the kettle. We shall see I guess

Post #5 made 8 years ago
Allright! Cheers to a successful beer.

I wasn't sure if or what the Speidel was rated for temp wise.

I just finished my boil.

Post #6 made 8 years ago
I don't know what the temp rating is either, no guts no glory I guess.
I'll post results of my no chill brew, I'm as curious as anybody else to see if this really is valid. What a time and water saver.

Post #8 made 8 years ago
Mad_Scientist wrote:Walmart 4-gallon http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-9405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... l/21903829 $17

Walmart 5-gallon at the Primo 'refill water station' for $10

us plastics 2 1/2 gallon fort pak http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... &catid=576 $8

MS
Thanks for the links!
Last edited by ford on 30 Jun 2015, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

Post #9 made 8 years ago
Think I'll pick up the 4 gallon from WalMart and two of the 2.5 gallon from US Plastics to get me started.

Post #10 made 8 years ago
I own 5 of the Reliance containers (7 gallons), which are pretty awesome. Just don't let them sit dirty for very long, they are a bitch to clean.

Well, they aren't too bad for no-chill ... but if you ever use it as a fermenter the krausen ring is hard to reach. I just had to throw one away this week, because I failed to clean one of them properly the last time I brewed.

Return to “Chilling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 17 guests