Chilling, hops and hot break

Post #1 made 9 years ago
I currently use a converted keg as my boil kettle. I have a dip tube set to pull off the side.
I only use pellet hops and use a paint strainer bag for them. I squeeze the heck out of it at the end.
I never whirlpool and chill through a plate chiller.

I want to buy this kettle http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/k ... -15-gallon
It has a nifty pickup type and attached trub dam. (This is very similar to a local brewing companies professional setup.)

I want to get away from using a hop bag as I feel the more free floating they are, the more I will get out of them. Maybe I'm wrong about this...
So yesterday I brewed, I didn't use a hop bag, and at end of boil I whirlpooled as hard as I could. (Btw I do use whirlfloc at 15min)
I let it sit for nearly 25 min. It appeared to have stopped swirling. I racked off through my plate chiller into my carboy. when I got to where I could see the trub, it was not 'coned' in the middle, it was just all across the bottom and I sucked a good bit of it through my chiller and into the carboy.

What did I do wrong? It doesn't appear to be much solids in that hot break and hops trub. Is this why it didn't cone?

Buying the new kettle with this trub dam... Is this even going to work ?

Can someone offer some insite please!

Brandon

Post #2 made 9 years ago
The Trub is soft and the Hops are soft, so, as soon ans the stirring is finish, the Nice Cone of trub collapses.

A stainless Steel Pot Scrubber can act as a very good Trub Filter, if set inside the kettle at the tap.

A siphon can be better to remove the Wort, since it will draw less trub, since the flow is less.

Also, if you can Tilt the Kettle away from the Tap, the trub will Settle to the back of the kettle, probably with out a whirlpool, just settling time.

You could use a dowel rod/broomstick, or a few House bricks to lift the front of the Kettle, if the is a lot of trub.

JMHO.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
So do I really need to constantly stir the wort until racking is complete?
From everything I have read you should be able to whirlpool and let it settle then rack.. I suppose that is when using whole hops?

Would having a false bottom help with this?

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Continuous stirring may work well. The spin in the kettle sets up the cone.

False bottoms, or Bazooka screens clog quickly, they are best for Hard debris(mashing Grains).

It really is Easier to Take the Kettle off the Fire and set on a slant, then let it settle.

But, I am a lazy ole Fart...
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #5 made 9 years ago
Not to change the direction you're going in, but for about $120 more than the kettle you're looking at you can get one of SS Brewtech's 7 gallon conical fermenters. Then there's no worrying about separating out all of the trub when you transfer, whatever bit transfers just settles to the bottom of the cone with the spent yeast and you rack off above it.

I bought one when they released it no so long ago and it's really a bitchin' setup. If you're happy with the kettle you've got, that might be a direction to look into. My $0.02...

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Blancasterb,

Firstly, don't fear the trub! There is no significant evidence that trub in the fermenter affects beer quality. In fact, here is one unscientific study that trub in the fermenter may contribute to greater clarity... http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-gr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ts-are-in/

hat tip to gouligan for the link.

Secondly, take a look at the topic thread below for a conversation on hop socks and their effect on hop utilization... hint, there is no effect.

viewtopic.php?f=150&t=2919

I personally think the most worrisome part of trub management in your process would be cleaning the plate chiller. I wouldn't worry about the hop sock or trub in the fermenter. It won't affect your beer negatively. As far as the new kettle with the trub dam, just one more thing to keep clean, IMO.

Jeff

Last edited by safebrew222 on 25 Nov 2014, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.

Post #7 made 9 years ago
I will pass that hat tip on to Bundy who posted the link originally! :salute:

Also, If you are concerned with the hops not having enough contact with the wort, its been suggested here to use your BIAB bag, as this should allow full contact. I always plan on doing it but never seem to get the grist cleaned out of it in time for the boil... :sneak:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Return to “Chilling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 13 guests