Unfermented wort storage. Basic Brewing Radio NHC 2014

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Here it is a show to download and listen to on the way to work!

http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/1/a/5/1a55697 ... fd4262d371

July 31, 2014 - No Chill Aging Experiment

Home brewer Bob Stempski shares his experiment comparing beers brewed with no-chill wort's aged for eight and four months with a fresh batch.

http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio
Bot-ul-ism.jpg
]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by BobBrews on 31 Jul 2014, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 9 years ago
Yep - I really enjoyed that, well done Bob! :clap:

I suppose the good (& the bad) thing about it all was the discussion was all about the colo(u)r of the oldest beer.
No discernible difference between flavour & aroma, just colour.

Are you sure you didnt just forget to add some crystal?!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Thanks guys,

I really tried to get everything perfect this time. If you remember the show we did last year (July 2013?) I was picked on because I didn't take readings on anything? This year was more complicated so I verified everything and double checked what I had verified! No mistake but you saw the picture. I was shocked with the color but happy the beer was drinkable. (and that nobody died!)

I think with three consecutive years at the NHC with no-chill programs I have maxed out the subject. I was thinking of doing the show about brewing with no-chill while naked :argh: but I doubt if anyone would test the beer? Back to the drawing board. I have a while to think about it!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #5 made 9 years ago
I agree Bob, you have pioneered the no-chill like a crusader!

If there are any doubters left after all that, then shame on them I say.
You can lead a horse to water and all that....

As for the naked bit I am not so sure :sneak:

How about you chill the wort "old-style", but its you that cannot chill, so maybe wear an electric blanket or something?
G B

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Good stuff Bob. Lol on the, "Hi Bob."

That colour diff in the pic is wild. I've got four cubes here that are 11 months old so I'll see if I notice anything when I pitch them. Never noticed anything before though :scratch:.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 9 years ago
PistolPatch,

The color difference is truly shocking. I don't know what happened? I really worked hard (for me) to make everything identical! I wrote down every nugget of information like.. pH, temps, water amounts, provider of the grain. The same 55 pound sack was used? I don't know what could have happened?

I am not going to repeat this or test it out again. Unless you check it out PP by brewing up that old batch and comparing it to a new one? If you can remember what you put in it? But you will end up with 38 liters of the same beer. I did three batches of the same beer 57 liters! I bottled the batches (two six packs of each) and combined the remaining beer into two kegs. I used a bottle of "Hop Vodka" made from Galaxy hops to sweeten it. That beer was super and went down as a good hoppy beer. The other I used "as is" and was OK too. Just not as hoppy!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #9 made 9 years ago
Mad_Scientist,

I had a double body! That was the problem. I have been working on it. I have lost 40 pounds to redo the video but summer is one long party and have gained a little back! :sneak:

I hope to regain my "Hollywood Looks" soon. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by BobBrews on 02 Aug 2014, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #10 made 9 years ago
BobBrews wrote:PistolPatch,

The color difference is truly shocking...
I hear your pain on this. Experiments are a PITA. I still have four cubes of beer from a year ago thanks to experiments.

It is also really easy to make errors when experimenting so someone needs to put their hand up and volunteer to do what you did. Any hands?

And that is the big problem. So many things to explore and they are really hard to explore well. (I think you would have been disappointed in the 'Bot' beer. Cheer up! My personal experience says it doesn't seem right so let us all hope you did make an error.) I don't think anyone realises how different an experiment is on paper versus in real life!

Anyway, let's just hope that someone will put their hand up to repeat your experiment. I really liked the design.

:clap:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 02 Aug 2014, 23:15, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #11 made 9 years ago
BobBrews wrote:The same 55 pound sack was used? I don't know what could have happened?
Bob, I don't think the color discrepancy is from the base malt, but rather the crystal. I assume you bought new crystal from your LHBS each time you brewed. I wonder if you ended up with something other than C100 the 1st time.

BTW, enjoyed the podcast as always.
Last edited by cwier60 on 03 Aug 2014, 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #12 made 9 years ago
cwier60.

I bought all the grain at the same time and stored it in my office. That doesn't mean that the bag I grabbed wasn't packaged correctly? I figured that the amount of time passed and the good storage conditions would have prevented what happened? The color may have indeed dropped out with some of the "hoppiness"?

Of course I just may have buggered the whole thing up? The fact of the matter is that the taste was not really effected that much. It wasn't better or worse! Long term storage if done properly will work!

Thanks for your positive review!
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Post #13 made 9 years ago
I have just been reading an interesting experiment by Kai Troester where he mentioned....
darker wort.jpg
Could you possibly have had a pH problem Bob?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mally on 04 Nov 2014, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
G B

Post #14 made 9 years ago
mally,

I do have a pH problem at home. I have to play it it a lot. I have found that I can semi-control it with various methods. I use a 2.5 gallon (store bought) container of spring water. The rest of the water comes from my water softened home supply. I use a pH stabilizer that is suppose to hold your water to 5.4. With all of that I still play with adding calcium chloride or gypsum?

For the podcast recorded at the NHC and the subsequent broadcast in July;

July 31, 2014 - No Chill Aging Experiment
Homebrewer Bob Stempski shares his experiment comparing beers brewed with no-chill worts aged for eight and four months with a fresh batch.
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=radio

I worked very hard a keeping the pH and other conditions exactly the same. With the long time between brews I took extra care to verify and over document everything. In fact my pH was unexpectedly high in the first brew so I had too try and match it (6.0?) in the subsequent following brews. :idiot:

The experiment was interesting but the long term storage color was shocking. When I filled the cups I had to open a second bottle to make sure I didn't grab the wrong one? In retrospect I should have blind folded the guys?

I am done with no-chilling experiments on Basic Brewing Radio. I think they are thankful of that? :lol:
Last edited by BobBrews on 04 Nov 2014, 20:21, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Return to “Chilling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 17 guests