No Chill - And Hop Schedule

Post #1 made 10 years ago
Hi all, I have been brewing just a short time. My last 3 brews have been BIAB brews and have been my best to date. I still plan to do some simple extact brews when time is a factor but for the most part, I will be doing all grain. I am also going to be trying No-Chill as I have just received my US Plastics container and a length of silicone hose for transfering wort. My main intention really is to pitch the yeast the following day, certainly no longer than 2 days, I just don't have any need to cook and store worth. I do have one question though on hop schedules since I have seen a bit on this here. I will be doing a BIAB Cream Ale brew that calls for an ounce of cascade hops at start of 60 min boil and one ounce of cascade at 2 minutes left. For you experienced no chillers.. would you change anything about this hop schedule? It's not a hoppy beer by any means, just not sure if it needs changed to prevent bitter beer face :) Cheers and thanks for you help!

IC

Post #2 made 10 years ago
IowaCarver,

If you were to use a hop sock and pull the hops out at the end of the boil there should be very little or no hop debris in you no chill cube which should give you the correct IBU without changing the hop bill? Lots of brewers use there BIAB bag as a hop sock.

Balli.

No Chill - And Hop Schedule

Post #3 made 10 years ago
Not sure using a hop sock would change the IBUs. Pretty sure it would just remove solid matter and most I the bits and pieces leading to bitterness would already be in solution.

My advice would be to follow the schedule and if it isn't to your liking, adjust it next time around. There are a range of different ways to manage hops when no chilling from adding 20 minutes to doing a separate boil of wort for the late hop additions but the most important factor is what you enjoy, unfortunately the only way you will figure that out is by brewing more beer and tasting it. It's tough.

Post #4 made 10 years ago
Some good advice there IowaCarver.
It is often difficult to work out whether a question is asked as "what would you do" as opposed to "what should I do".

As an example, Bobbrews would probably laugh in your bitter beer face as he eats the 1oz of raw hops whilst downing a +100IBU black bear IPA! :lol:

Joking aside, I am starting to look into adding late hops "very" late when no chilling to try and preserve more hop aroma & flavour, but this has no scientific backing.
G B
I spent lots of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered
I've stopped drinking, but only when I'm asleep
I ONCE gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Great Britain

Post #5 made 10 years ago
Welcome to the forum IC :salute:,

Lots of things here. Firstly, don't boil (or mash) for only 60 minutes. I'll leave it up to one of the above posters to explain why :).

Not much point in no-chilling in a cube IMO if you want to pitch as soon as it is cool. All you get is another vessel to clean. In other words, just leave it cool in the kettle with the lid on. (Use and pull a hop-sock though).

As Contrarian said, using a hop sock theoretically will not change the IBU's as the oils should fairly instantly be released from the hops [EDIT: see post #8]. Regardless of what you decide, use a hop sock (your BIAB bag) for your hops. Who wants to stew a vegetable longer than necessary?

I double-batch and no-chill half my wort and chill the other. I drain the no-chill into a cube 5 minutes after flame-out and the rest of the wort might take 30 - 40 minutes to chill. Both taste the same to me and when you think about it, why shouldn't they?*** (Also we did some side by sides on flavour and aroma weighted beers here and no one could tell the difference.)

Don't focus on formulas.

One big advantage of the BIABacus is that it publishes the chilling method used and how long it took. That is what is important and what you will see nowhere else.

A lot of BIABacus stuff we take for granted.

***Have a think on the above but I'll write more if you want later,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 07 May 2014, 22:20, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #8 made 10 years ago
Contrarian and I are also probably wrong when it comes to leaf hops or plugs. It probably would make some difference in those cases as it must take some time for the oils to get out :think:.

I'll put an edit in my post above refeerring to this post :lol:.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #9 made 10 years ago
NO such thing as too much hops or too bitter of a beer! You have to kill that malty taste somehow don't you??? :think: I regularly chew hop pellets (like chewing tobacco) :o while smoking crushed rolled hop pellets (like a joint) :smoke: while drinking a double IPA! :drink: That normally kills the malt taste in the beer! :lol:
Last edited by BobBrews on 08 May 2014, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Return to “Chilling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 14 guests