Plate Chiller - My new score.

Post #1 made 11 years ago
I scored this plus a second plate chiller at work today. This one is about 14 plates and the 2nd one about 25, but its got a sligtly damaged inlet port. They were about to go to the scrappy before i saved them. They're quite large compared to standard brewing type units (see the comparrison to the keyboard) and have what looks like 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch (1.5 in = 3.81 cm) inputs. They have never been used and have been sitting on a shelf for about 5 years. The inside is all shiny as the caps have always been on.
Now I just need to work out how to connect them up.
IMG-20121108-00082.jpg
Perth-20121108-00081.jpg
Perth-20121108-00083.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Aces high on 08 Nov 2012, 06:58, edited 2 times in total.

Post #2 made 11 years ago
Feel free to send the damaged one to me and I'd be happy to help you work out a way to get them connected up to a brewing system.

---Todd
WWBBD?
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 11 years ago
Here's the damaged one, its thick stainless, so you better be pretty stong Todd ;)
These things weigh a tonne and they're made in Germany, so im guessing they are pretty good quality
Plate chiller.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Aces high on 08 Nov 2012, 09:11, edited 2 times in total.

Post #6 made 11 years ago
Score of the centuary there Aces, pity I now NC as I would have had the damaged one off you for research. ;)

How are you going to repair the damage ?? I've seen tools that will expand copper so that it can be soldered I wonder if they do a one for stainless steel.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #7 made 11 years ago
I reckon I will see how the non damaged 14 plate unit goes first. Not sure if i can fix the other one, but I have a few welders & boilermakers at my local pub.. might just cost me another case of mega swill beer :thumbs:

Post #8 made 11 years ago
looking at the pics again I recon you will get away with grinding the damage off flush and just using PTFE tape as a thread seal as the thread part looks undamaged.

Post #11 made 11 years ago
Dont worry yeasty, I had the thing in my hands and I was thing the same thing, then it finally clicked :scratch:

Now i am trying to work out how they would attached a pipe to that side. The water side has a screw thread on the outside which I can work with

Post #12 made 11 years ago
Aces high wrote:Dont worry yeasty, I had the thing in my hands and I was thing the same thing, then it finally clicked :scratch:

Now i am trying to work out how they would attached a pipe to that side. The water side has a screw thread on the outside which I can work with
It all depend upon what they were used for with regard to the cooling side fluid. I'd expect if it was nasty stuff the fitting would have to be welded. For your needs a large jubilee clip would do it if you can get a hose to fit over the outside diameter.
Last edited by Yeasty on 09 Nov 2012, 17:19, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Chilling”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 7 guests