BIAB Calculator - Am I doing this right?

Post #1 made 6 years ago
Hey gang, hope everyone is doing well!

Over the past week I've been messing around with the BIAB Calculator (great tool btw) and now want to put in to the test for my first BIAB batch. Based on the suggestions on this forum, i've decided to use the NRB's All Amarillo APA as my "test" batch, and want to use the calculator to help get me the best final product as I can possibly get.

I just want to make sure im using the calculator properly!

The Volumes Tab

So right off the bat, id like to scale down the original recipe to end up with 10 liters.
Here's a shot of what "Section A" looks like, with my values entered in and highlighted.
calc1.JPG

Now, im a little unsure as to how id calculate this section?
calc1.1.JPG

The Grain Bill

Pretty straight forward with this one. Added grain % 's to the calculator
calc2.JPG

The Hops Bill

Now im a little fuzzy with this one... Below are the results of adding my hops to the bill, but im a little unsure of what I would do with some of these values. Am I missing anything here?
calc3.1.JPG

The Efficiency Calculator

Now, with the efficiency calculator, Im assuming that ill add my values to the Actual columns on brew day, and compare them to the Current Brew column?
calc4.JPG

And finally, here's a copy of my spreadsheet.
01 - The Calculator (3).xls

Thanks in advance for the help, hope to hear from you all soon!
Happy brewing :salute:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by abihuniak on 12 Nov 2017, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Canada

Re: BIAB Calculator - Am I doing this right?

Post #2 made 6 years ago
Hi Alex,

Where did you get these calculators...? These - if they come from our forum - are not those we currently use.

Best is to use our BIABacus file. It’s a free Excel file. And lots of things get estimated if you put in your pot size. The below link has one file filled out and the other “blank”, at the very top. After reviewing, fill out the blank one with your info for your system and save it as your default. And then put in a recipe and post it here, and one of us can review and get back to you.

BIABacus File: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1869

And you will want to review the terminology page so that all of the terms developed so that processes are accurate and make sense.

Clear Brewing Terminology: http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2685

Hope this helps. I can’t really help You with the files you posted, but could if you use files we use. Let us know.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 6 years ago
Hey Scott

Thanks for the advice! After posting my last post, I did some forum browsing and found out that the calculator isn't used as much anymore, and that the BIABacus was the far superior tool. I was a little intimidated my first time around using the BIABicus, but after an hour or two with fooling around with measurements, it made a whole lot more sense than the previous calculator I was attempting to use.

Here's what i've ended up with for my recipe.
01 - BIABacus PR1.3T - American Pale Ale - NRB's All Amarillo APA - Batch A0 (1).xls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Under 5 Brews From Canada

Post #4 made 6 years ago
Hello Alex,

Good job filling out the BIABacus tool!!! At first glance it can seem intimidating, but if you take it "step by step" it is really very logical and very easy. Just remember - One Step At A Time!

I opened up your file and had a look. Provided all of your "inputs" are correct, the file should be good to go. Where I remember the first couple times that I used the BIABacus, and really just used the first page... It was a bit confusing to use for me at first. After using it some more it became apparent what everything did, and that was an awesome revelation...

Found a link that will help understand BIABacus... I would start right about where the below link goes to and read all the back-and-forth comments to the bottom of the post... It also touches on some other things, but the post should be of high value.

http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php ... +og#p58560

Sections K through R are more or less "check points"...as I think of them. If there is a problem, often times you can go back and figure out where you went off course if these volumes and gravities are checked and recorded. Let me know if you need the math on dilutions of wort if it is too high, etc. Recording the different "check points" with volumes, etc. and then adjusting the final OG to match my plans are all attempts to have more repeatability of brew that I'm making; get the final beer created as close to what I planned to create at the start! :thumbs:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 50 guests