Need help understanding BIABacus

Post #1 made 7 years ago
I started BIAB last summer and have done a couple of batches that were ok. But there's one thing about BIABacus that baffles me, the "What you will use"
column for malt it calculates. I have attached a BIABacus recipe from Brewer's Friend that I filled in a best I could. I know that the boil time should be 90 minutes and can manipulate numbers like Auto Kettle Efficiency (to 67%) to make the weights the same but am not sure if this is right. Can anyone explain what the discrepancy in malt weights means and if I am supposed to use the calculated weights or am I supposed to manipulate something to make the two columns closer in amounts of malt.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/ ... -nut-brown

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Need help understanding BIABacus

Post #2 made 7 years ago
I made some adjusts to your file. Use the "what you will use", because BIABacus is calling for a way better efficiency than the 60% stated in the brewersfriend recipe.
I'm Gonna Nut Brown (MS).xls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Re: Need help understanding BIABacus

Post #4 made 7 years ago
Good question sf,

Bit short on time but this might help....

Don't try and match the weights to the recipe you are copying. Nearly all recipes you find on the net (even in magazines and books) are very poorly written. (If you read A Perfect Example of a Low Integrity Recipe you'll see that Clear Brewing Terminology is incredibly rare.) Many make no sense.

The author of the recipe you are copying will have no understanding of the different types of "efficiency" (not their fault, it's the fault of "static" software and crappy/confusing terminology). As MS said, the "efficiency" of that recipe is ridiculously low.

I think read the links above over a beer or two, they're not things to skim or speed-read. See if any lightbulbs go off in your head.

The big light-bulb will hopefully be that you will be able to see why "static" software, lots of terminology and most recipes just don't make sense. This is a hard thing for the brain to accept unless, by some miracle, The BIABacus and this site were the first software/info source you ever used. If not, your brain is obviously going to be saying, "But, if this 'static' software and common terminology is so wrong, then why is everyone using it?" (The answer to that requires a massive essay which I wouldn't mind writing one day as it's pretty interesting.) The main thing though, for you, will be to study those links (and ask any questions you like) until it is clear in your mind why your grain bill isn't matching the original recipe.

Make sure you do ask questions if anything is unclear as having that light bulb fire up is pretty amazing.

:shock:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 70 guests