Jamil's APA check

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Well, the 3 ring burner is assembled and the 70L pot is on the way, so I guess it's time to put together a recipe to test it out. I'm sure there are other people who've converted Jamil's APA into a BIABacus, but thought I'd give it a go too just to have a play around. This will most likely be the first brew I try. The only real contention is going for US-05 or the Mangrove Jacks West Coast yeast.

The second file is an attempt at converting a very low integrity recipe to a BIABacus, just because I'd heard good things about the product! It calls for all late-additions and a substantial dry hop. Any obvious flaws (other than the dubious provenance of the recipe)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Hello Aidan,

Let me give you my thoughts on a couple things... I've brewed Jamil's APA recipe several times and it is a good one.

Jamil's APA:
1) Section B - Are both the internal height and internal diameter of your pot exactly 45cm? Confirmation it's not a typo here. If inaccurate, this will cause problems later.
2) Confirmation on your VIF desired of 23 liters...which is no problem. Want to make sure your fermenter can fit this volume with room to spare.
3) Also shows a 60 minute boil and we normally do a 90 minute boil.
4) Recipe VAW - think we normally figure 5.75 gallons (which is 21.77 Liters) for Jamil's BCS book.

Your file looks pretty close besides confirming or clearing up these things. On the yeast, I don't know much about Mangrove Jacks. I normally use Wyeast 1056 or WLP001, and US-05 is supposed to be the same as these liquid yeasts. Don't know about Mangrove Jacks... :?: That said, I've used other liquid yeasts that have worked out well too.

Low Integrity Recipe:
1) Odd that there are no Bittering hops...only aroma and flavoring / finishing hops.
2) So Many Hop Varieties...! This strikes me as odd too. Will be a pain to have to weigh each of these...
3) Have you already brewed this batch? Section M is already filled out, and shouldn't be until you are making your brew session measurements.
4) Just because a recipe is Low Integrity doesn't mean you can't try and copy it or use it for inspiration, just means your copy likely will not be anywhere near an accurate representation. (Like a map missing key features needed for proper navigation...)
Last edited by Scott on 05 Sep 2016, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 7 years ago
Thanks, Scott!

APA:
1. They're placeholders for now, I'll update with the real measurements once the pot arrives
2. Yep, I have two 30L fermenters, but didnt want to go too big to start with
3. Good catch - I've seen that recommendation but didnt update the sheet
4. I'll update that one too

Other recipe:
1. Apparently all late additions can get similar bitterness (with more hops of course) but it's more "rounded", or so I've seen Jamil cited as saying. I guess I'll see!
2. Yes, maybe I'll try to consolidate this a little bit. Again, I'm pretty inexperienced so simpler is going to be better until I learn the nuance
3. Doh, I was using a previously filled out sheet and forgot to delete that.
4. True, similar to above. I should learn to walk before I learn to run. But filling out BIABacus files is so fun!

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 50 guests