First BIAB - Simcoe SMaSH attempt

Post #1 made 7 years ago
Hi All

I'm about to kick off my first BIAB. I've got an electric Urn and going to try for a SMaSH for my first attempt.

Marris Otter and Simcoe for an APA.

I was hoping people could critique the biabacus file to see if I've dropped any clangers.

I'm going to no Chill in a cube and keg, so only need 21L for the fermenter.

I'm looking forward to getting the extra options from extract brewing

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Hi Wolfman,

I just had a look at your BIABacus. Don't see any issues, really... Section X (over on the Left side) has an adjustment to the Lauter section. Think someone accidentally added it to the master sheet. Think I would delete and take the "Default" until you have several brews under your belt and have BIAB and your system dialed in... And probably won't mess with it even then, most likely.

When you get comfortable with the process it's good to follow that column down below the estimated volumes section. Give them a read through... Basically they are "check points" that can give us indication where we are at, or if we are steering off course... If it's all still too new, don't worry and just do the basics...but at a minimum do the important stuff like taking OG, FG, etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if you get better than 75% attenuation with your US-05. Default attenuation is 75%. If you get higher attenuation with say a FG of 1.009 or so your ABV would end up more like in the mid 5s. Mine normally ends up in that range, with the equivalent yeast from Wyeast. But don't worry about any of that. Looks fine... :kisswink:

For certain let us know how it turns out, and Good Luck! :luck:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 7 years ago
Right, just finished the first brew at 11:30pm, but started at 7:30. 4 hours feels ok, but there is still a mess to clean up tomorrow morning.
It's raining too much to get back out to the shed.

Story of the brew was;
Thermostat on the urn isn't to be trusted, but is probably good enough to set 5° low and come back to after 30 mins and increase to strike temp when I'm ready
Lost the top of the bag into to the run halfway through pouring the grain - learning = gets some bulldog clamps to hold the bloody bag in place
My thermometer doesn't work, or I fouled up the biabacus file. It said to strike at 67, which was only 1° above mash temp. It seemed wrong, but I did it, so I was consistently 1 - 1.5° below mash temp for the entire mins.
Learning- get a decent thermometer and strike at 3° above mash temp. Either the thermometer is cactus or the st-1000 temp probe I was using to monitor the mash temp was off.
I could get 5kg of grain out of the urn without a rope. I have a massive pot, so this was good to drop the bag into with a colander in the bottom. I got lots of wort from squeezing the bag, so that seems to be a good step.
Volumes before boil were bang on the biabacus totals, And I seemed to get very close to my 21 l ferment volume into 20l cube with no worries. I was going to cube ferment, but I think I will put into a normal fermenter, just to see how it compares to the actual final totals.
Boil went well, but it took longer to reach a boil than I expected. 30 mins to get from mash temp to boiling. It was pretty cold in the shed, so I ended up keeping s camping mat coiled around the urn, so might look into making that a permanent thing.
Hop sock is a dirty wet rag, which resulted in the biggest mess on the floor for the night. - learning, stainless steel spider or ?
No chill cube worked well. I was hoping to be able to push the final bit of air from the handle out through the bottom tap, but it ended up spitting wort every where, so I'll just have to live with the bubble from the handle.

All in all, good nights work
Beer looks a lot clearer than I thought and I'm looking forward to getting in fermented and into a keg.

Also, boiling in a low roof tin shed, means condensation starting to drip over things at 50 mins into the boil. Learning, brew closer to the door and set up a fan to push the wet air outside. It was only about 8° here tonight so wet air was always going to be a problem.

Also, I can now play with my bikes in the shed while brewing beer, and being close to the kegerator means a lot more drinking on brew night.

A much more enjoyable evening than opening cans, so I'm happy.

Post #5 made 7 years ago
Wolfman...oh yeeeeaaaaaah! :thumbs:

Glad it all went well. I'm going to do another SMaSH this weekend as I am appreciating this simplicity of the flavours.

I took the FG of the IPA and it's sitting at about 6.9% so I think I'll be alternating between the SMaSH and the IPA in order to effectively manage inebriation levels.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 139 guests