Unwanted Souring of beer

Post #1 made 7 years ago
I have a problem with my last two batches, they're turning sour in the primary. First time round I thought it must have been an infection so I cleaned the crap out of everything. I've just taken a gravity reading of my second batch, tasted the sample and it taste the same, sour! I started thinking what else I've done different to previous brews and realised I added calcium sulphate to both these batches. I'm wondering if had faulty PH strips and I've pushed my PH to low which is causing the sourness? Does anyone think that's possible? Or what else could cause this sourness. .
Also now I have 20L of sour beer what can u do with it? Seems a shame to dump it, can I transfer to a secondary and throw some fruit in there? Will it ever be drinkable or should I say goodbye to another batch, it so heartbreaking having to dump two batches in a row.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From Australia

Post #2 made 7 years ago
Your problem may be related to Acetic Acid Bacteria.

Acetic Acid bacteria that develops on fermenting alcoholic liquids, which turns alcohol into acetic acid with the help of oxygen from the air.

What sort of thing do you use to Close the Fermenter?
Your fermentaer seal may be bad.

Do you have any Mother of Vinegar, or any Packaged of Acetic Acid bacteria?

Have every Pickled and Vegetable or Sausage?

Been here and have done It.
I have made some tasty Malt Vinegsr w/ noble Hop Flavors.
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #3 made 7 years ago
I know nothing about the sour taste, but regarding what to do with it besides throwing it out; I met a gentleman who collects all the bad beer he can find and uses a small table top still to distill the alcohol out, then turns it into vodka. His biggest finds were from the bottles of untasted beer at judging events. Waste not want not :clap:
    • SVA Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 32 guests