Amarillo IPA

Post #1 made 9 years ago
Hi folks,
after long time whitout brewing,
next week I'll brew thi recipe,
what do you think about?
some advice, something to improve the recipe?

thank!

Amarillo - Columbus IPA
Style: American India Pale Ale
ABV: 5,8%

Original Gravity (OG): 1,06
IBU's (Tinseth): 50
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0,83
Colour: 12,7 EBC = 6,4 SRM

Kettle Efficiency (as in EIB and EAW): 75 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 70,3 %

The Grain Bill
84,6% Pale Malt Maris Otter (5,5 EBC = 2,8 SRM) 11000 grams = 24,19 pounds
3,8% Cara Pils (5 EBC = 2,5 SRM) 500 grams = 1,1 pounds
3,8% Munich 1 (15 EBC = 7,6 SRM) 500 grams = 1,1 pounds
7,7% Munich 2 (25 EBC = 12,7 SRM) 1000 grams = 2,2 pounds

The Hop Bill
29,8 IBU Columbus Flowers (16,9%AA) 40,3 grams = 1,423 ounces at 60 mins
8 IBU Amarillo Flowers (8,9%AA) 26,9 grams = 0,949 ounces at 30 mins
6,3 IBU Amarillo Flowers (8,9%AA) 26,9 grams = 0,949 ounces at 20 mins (First Wort Hopped)
3,8 IBU Amarillo Flowers (8,9%AA) 26,9 grams = 0,949 ounces at 10 mins
2,1 IBU Amarillo Flowers (8,9%AA) 26,9 grams = 0,949 ounces at 5 mins
0 IBU Columbus Pellets (16,9%AA) 26,9 grams = 0,949 ounces at mins (Dry Hopped)
0 IBU Amarillo Pellets (8,9%AA) 26,9 grams = 0,949 ounces at mins (Dry Hopped)

Mash Steps
Mash for 60 mins at 66,5 C = 151,7 F
Mashout for for 5 mins at 74 C = 165,2 F

Water Held Back from Mash: 30,5 L = 8,06 G
Water Added After Final Lauter: 30 L = 7,93 G
Water Added to Fermentor: 0,5 L = 0,13 G

Fermentation: US-05 for 4 days at 18 C = 64,4 F
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tota76 on 31 Mar 2015, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.

Post #2 made 9 years ago
Nice to see you tota,

I am out of time but one thing I do know about recipes is that you should have a reason for every ingredient etc.

I could give a generic answer and just say that looks great and it probably is, but a very interesting exercise would be to copy your report above in a new post but, in a different colour, write beside each ingredient, why you are including it. That is a hard ask and I doubt I would be able to do it with any recipe I brew!

This site is all about learning though, so maybe have a try at this. Once you have, I'll definitely PM some members here that I think would be really interested and valuable to this thread.

:peace:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 31 Mar 2015, 20:27, edited 1 time in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #3 made 9 years ago
tota76,

Pardon the Ignorant question, But Why are you holding back 30L from the Mash?????

Your kettle can do a Full Volume BIAB because your 21.39 kettle will only have 19.36 Gallon with a Full Mash (or 90.5% fill rate).
Honest Officer, I swear to Drunk, I am Not God.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #4 made 9 years ago
Amarillo - Columbus IPA
Style: American India Pale Ale
ABV: 5,8%

Original Gravity (OG): 1,06
IBU's (Tinseth): 50
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0,83
Colour: 12,7 EBC = 6,4 SRM

The Grain Bill
84,6% Pale Malt Maris Otter (5,5 EBC = 2,8 SRM) 11000 grams = 24,19 pounds BASE MALT
3,8% Cara Pils (5 EBC = 2,5 SRM) 500 grams = 1,1 pounds to add body and improve foam
3,8% Munich 1 (15 EBC = 7,6 SRM) 500 grams = 1,1 pounds
7,7% Munich 2 (25 EBC = 12,7 SRM) 1000 grams = 2,2 pounds Munich 1 and 2 to add color and malty flavour whitaout the sweetness of vienna or crystal

The Hop Bill
29,8 IBU Columbus Flowers (16,9%AA) 40,3 grams = 1,423 ounces at 60 mins Bittering high AA% to save money using less hops
8 IBU Amarillo Flowers (8,9%AA) 26,9 grams = 0,949 ounces at 30 mins
6,3 IBU Amarillo Flowers (8,9%AA) 26,9 grams = 0,949 ounces at 20 mins (First Wort Hopped) The process of FWH is supposed to give you hop bitterness, aroma and flavors that you cannot obtain by any other means
3,8 IBU Amarillo Flowers (8,9%AA) 26,9 grams = 0,949 ounces at 10 mins
2,1 IBU Amarillo Flowers (8,9%AA) 26,9 grams = 0,949 ounces at 5 mins Amarillo in a wide range of late time add for flavor and aroma
0 IBU Columbus Pellets (16,9%AA) 26,9 grams = 0,949 ounces at mins (Dry Hopped)
0 IBU Amarillo Pellets (8,9%AA) 26,9 grams = 0,949 ounces at mins (Dry Hopped)

Mash Steps
Mash for 60 mins at 66,5 C = 151,7 F
Mashout for for 5 mins at 74 C = 165,2 F

Water Held Back from Mash: 30,5 L = 8,06 G
Water Added After Final Lauter: 30 L = 7,93 G
Water Added to Fermentor: 0,5 L = 0,13 G

Fermentation: US-05 for 4 days at 18 C = 64,4 F 2 fermenter, I'll lower the temp 2 degree/day (for 5 to 11 Days, with the DH) untill 6 C° - days12 and 13 Finning with gelatin and then bottling
Last edited by tota76 on 31 Mar 2015, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post #5 made 9 years ago
joshua wrote:tota76,
Pardon the Ignorant question, But Why are you holding back 30L from the Mash?????
Your kettle can do a Full Volume BIAB because your 21.39 kettle will only have 19.36 Gallon with a Full Mash (or 90.5% fill rate).
Hi Joshua,
I wont to try to usue less than 3l/kg to have the conversion in less than 60min, and then add the water to reach 74C° and do the mash out (5 min).
I'm trying to reduce the time of the brewday.
Last edited by tota76 on 31 Mar 2015, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.

Post #6 made 9 years ago
Tota6, there is a mathematical reason to use Full Volume Mash with BIAB, And you will use Less Equipment, and save the Time of adding the Zero Gravity water to the mash.

A 60 minute BIAB mash is Ok, But, you can get 4-5 more Gravity Points(1.004/5) if you mash for 90 minutes, and for some unknown reason, about 5% better efficiency.

The 3L/Kg was a 3V rule, to allow a sparge, Mostly due to thick Mashes.

There are many experiments on the 'Net, that show 6-7L/Kg is Better for MANY reasons.

JMHO YMMV

Post #7 made 9 years ago
Hi PP, thanks for the reply,
whan you said :"a very interesting exercise would be to copy your report above in a new post but, in a different colour, write beside each ingredient, why you are including it" did you means that I write in the post above?

Post #8 made 9 years ago
Joshua, I read in the net what you are saying, and also I read the opposite, saying that with a mash out at 74° for 5 minute you can reach te same OG :/
so, as a new brewerI wont to understand what I'm reading, testing in person.
maybe netx time I'll use the same grain bill changing the proportion L/Kg

I'm reading "Radical Brewing", great book i think, thats where is from the image attached below.
I want to try the diference about unsing more/less water, high/lower temperature (using the right PH).
almost sure that in Italy, where I'm from, is less expansive 0,2 kg of malt than 1/2 - 1 hour of GAS or eletricity
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post #9 made 9 years ago
Tota76, the Book does show what I was Talking about. (3qt/Lb is close to 6.5L/Kg)

Full Volume BIAB, does give Very Good Efficiency, and the Mash Temperature Does change the Fermentability, as the Book Shows, without the need to change the Water/Grist Ratio.

The KISS idea is what BIAB is all About.

Post #11 made 9 years ago
Tota76, 60 minute mash is good.

If you keep the Mash Temperature Uniform, and Stir the Mash, periodically to Distribute the Sugar/Enzymes, there is No Need for Extra Grains....That is a Myth spread by HomeBrew Talk.

80% efficiency into the boil is Normal, But, 70% is usual efficiency into the Fermenter.

Post #13 made 9 years ago
Tota76, That is a good System, and with Full Volume BIAB, the beer should be Great!!!

Post #14 made 9 years ago
[EDIT: After writing the below, I opened the BIABAcus file. It is corrupt so some of the clacs may not work in it. Never save the BIABacus as anything but an .xls file.]
tota76 wrote:Hi PP, thanks for the reply,
when you said :"a very interesting exercise would be to copy your report above in a new post but, in a different colour, write beside each ingredient, why you are including it" did you means that I write in the post above?
Yep, nice job! I'll PM some guys and ask them to take a look ;).

Brew Day Time

Some recipes will not suffer from a 60 minute mash (efficiency-wise) but many will. For example, one type of pale malt from one maltster night perform totally differently from that of another as far as I know but I'm not even sure of that! Also starch conversion is not the same as a complete/thorough mash.

One thing I do know and that Josh has already mentioned above, is that as soon as you stray from the single vessel approach, you will usually be costing yourself more time, more labour and more equipment. For example, mashing thick and then adding hot water to reach 74-78C is going to require a second vessel and a second burner and the addition of near boiling water. Everything becomes a lot more complicated. A 90 minute mash is a lot more comfortable than a 60 minute one in so many ways ;).

Over-riding the Efficiency Default

I'm not sure where Josh is coming from above (what are you up to Josh? :)). A 60 minute mash might be okay or it may not be as I just mentioned above. There will be need for extra grains on some recipes with a 60 min mash no matter what you do. Also, 80% and 70% are not normal efficiencies. Kettle efficiencies largely depend on the amount of water that touches the grain and for how long and how big that grain bill is. Fermentor efficiencies are further affected by trub management and hop schedules.

So, no, you do not over-ride the BIABacus auto-efficiency.

And, I am now looking at your file.... HOLD ON - See my red edit at beginning of post!!!!

I'm out of time now but over-riding the auto-efficiency to 75% was a big error. The BIABacus would have picked up the 30 L problem way earlier if you hadn't. It would have said. "Recipe won't work. You are out of bounds!"

Be very careful over-riding things!
Last edited by PistolPatch on 02 Apr 2015, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #15 made 9 years ago
Pat, Efficiency is Important to a point, add Sugar and get Better Efficiency.

Or, Only Use Sugar and get Perfect Efficiency.

Depending on the type of grain, the age, and the Malter, Most of the efficiency is dependent on the Grain Bill.

Example: Steep a Kg of Dark Grains at 170F/76C , check the gravity, Efficiency into the Boil, then Ferment, and see what you get.

A very sweet beer, with a ton Of Body, Nicely Carbonated...Very Crappy Efficiency.

With Very Small Batches, I need to use a Refactormeter to save Wort, and depending of the grain Bill, it takes different times to get the Gravity into the Boil(GIB).

I stir and check the Mash every 15-20 Minute.

Being retired, I have nothing to Do, and all day to Do it!!!

Post #17 made 9 years ago
Tota76, it opens fine with LibreOffice, Online and after a download.

PP should have no troubles.

Post #18 made 9 years ago
tota: Above when I said the file is corrupted, what I meant is at some time it has been unprotected. This means you can click on any cell and could accidentally delete hidden formulas. There are heaps hidden on the tiny blank cells. On a sheet that has not been corrupted, the only cells you will be able to click on are the entry fields. So, both sheets above have at some time been unprotected. The sheet should be okay but there is no guarantee ;).

Joshua: Strop drinking :lol:.I think you are skimming my posts again :lol:.
Last edited by PistolPatch on 03 Apr 2015, 14:13, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 4 guests