Yeast Question

Post #1 made 14 years ago
Hey everyone,
im doing this recipe next, hopefully on the weekend!

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum// ... recipe=355

But im not sure what the yeast is, it states 500 ml- Wyeast Labs 1056 - American Ale

Im not sure what this is? 500ml ? is this a liquid? can someone shed some light?

Thanks!
RL
Last edited by redlegger on 05 May 2010, 10:31, edited 9 times in total.
"I like beer. On occasion, I will even drink beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of Communism or the fact that the refrigerator is still working.”Dave Berry

Post #2 made 14 years ago
I'm no expert but I think it means to make up a yeast starter of 500mls, which I think has to be done a couple of days before brewday. Also I think 1056 is the same strain as US-05 dried. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Cheers Brad
[center]"All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer."
[/center]

[center]Homer Simpson[/center]
[center]K.I.S.S., B.I.A.B.[/center]

Post #3 made 14 years ago
Yes, that would be a liquid yeast starter, depending on how much yeast you start with it could take a few days to grow out. MrMalty might help for a better calculator, although I have to say I don't use it, I leaned much of what I know anecdotally and from experience (hey, no wonder my beers are crap!).

The thing with the AHB recipe DB is that it is very crude for units (and in lots of other areas), is this 500 ml of starter wort, 500 ml of slurry or seeing as it is a Wyeast liquid then even 500 ml of smackpack (in which case it is several). Often I'll brew up 2 * 800ml of starter wort in Schott bottles over several steps, at the end toss the top 500 ml of wort and just pitch the stirred slurry.

I think 1056 is US-05 too, I'll stand corrected though. If it is, then just use the dried version redlegger, that would be simplest, and even if it isn't a straight swap, you shouldn't go too far wrong with US-05.
[center]Give me a beer and I will move the world. Archimedes[/center]

Post #4 made 14 years ago
From everything I have read, us-05 is the same as 1056 (and maybe wlp001). Fermentis had to change the name of the yeast from us-56 to us-05 after some lawsuit from wyeast. If its not the same then it is very similar, and for the price difference, that's enough for me.

Post #5 made 14 years ago
I have also heard that 1056 and US-05 are the same thing but I don't know that for sure. What I can say for sure is that US-05 is a great dried yeast for American Pale Ales, I have used it a few times.

Post #6 made 14 years ago
dick is correct redlegger. The dried yeast US-05 (also known as US-56) is the same as the liquid 1056. It is also sometimes sold as "American Ale Yeast." This dried yeast is very good and you should use it in preference to the liquid version as the resulting beer will be pretty much identical and save you a heap of dollars.

Nearly every ale I brew is done with this yeast. I'm not sure why TroughLolly put the liquid version in his recipe - it was probably just a slip of the mouse.

This yeast is probably the most versatile and widely available yeast around. A lot of breweries use it in dried form. It can produce a wide range of beers (even a Schwartzbier which is traditionally done with a lager yeast!) and so any brewer should seriously consider this dried yeast as being their first, "best friend," in yeasts and can also look forward to it being a very loyal friend.

Cheers RL,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 31 May 2010, 20:56, edited 9 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #7 made 14 years ago
It looks like its been answered already, but WLP001 = WYeast 1056 = US-05. There may be slight variations due to handling, but basically the same yeast.

I agree with PP about using dried yeast. I got on the bandwagon with the liquid strains, but for a run of the mill ale yeast like 1056/US-05 I'd go with dried. Costs less, you can wash and repitch, and no starters.

I hydrate the yeast in about 100ml of water in a zip top bag about an hour before pitching.

I've also used WB-06 and T-58 by fermentis. The WB-06 makes a nice wit style beer, and I made a Tripel with the T58 that has a very nice flavor so far. I think the liquid strains for Belgians is better, but I haven't tried different temps for the dried strains to see what sort of character that exhibits. I've used WB-06 3 times now in a witbier. Its a subtle peppery flavor leaning towards fruity IMO. The T58 is more phenolic (clove) with some what less fruitiness that the WB-06. Both are nice yeasts. My tripel isn't Chimay, but its not far form a Westmalle I don't think. I've only used the T58 once though.
Joe

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 64 guests