BIAB for Dummies(like me)

Post #1 made 11 years ago
Is there a forum here for BIAB recipes? I did a Cream Ale yesterday, but I had to ask around for almost everything except the grain bill. Here are the two biggest questions:
1. How much water for a 5 gallon batch?
2. What temp does the water need to be, before I pour in the grains?

Why can't this be like baking cookies? The recipe is on the box.

Post #2 made 11 years ago
PackerFan wrote:Is there a forum here for BIAB recipes? I did a Cream Ale yesterday, but I had to ask around for almost everything except the grain bill. Here are the two biggest questions:

Hello PackerFan,

Those are the million dollar questions. No one knows the answers to those questions :)

Just kidding ;) BIABacus will tell you the answers. It's worth having a play around with it. Good thing to do on a rainy afternoon, and it's quite good fun learning it without any instructions :) (seriously).

Actually the answers to those questions are different for different beers of different styles, different alcohol levels, different ingredients etc etc. Same with different cookies.

What kind of beer do you want to make? Any recipes that caught your eye? Do you want someone here to change it to cookie box style for you to get you started on your next batch?

Edit: I was changing this and you posted so had to change it back again. Seriously, I'm sure people will help. Especially Bob, your Packer Fan friend.
Last edited by GuingesRock on 01 Apr 2013, 23:44, edited 6 times in total.
Guinges

Post #3 made 11 years ago
GuingesRock wrote:
PackerFan wrote:Is there a forum here for BIAB recipes? I did a Cream Ale yesterday, but I had to ask around for almost everything except the grain bill. Here are the two biggest questions:

Hello PackerFan,

Those are the million dollar questions. No one knows the answers to those questions :)

Just kidding ;) BIABacus will tell you the answers. It's worth having a play around with it. Good thing to do on a rainy afternoon, and it's quite good fun learning it without any instructions :) (seriously).

Actually the answers to those questions are different for different beers of different styles, different alcohol levels, different ingredients etc etc. Same with different cookies.

What kind of beer do you want to make? Any recipes that caught your eye? Do you want someone here to change it to cookie box style for you to get you started?
Oh you comedian!! I guess I will have to play with BIABacus. In the mean time, gotta recipe for a "lawnmower" beer. I'm going back to visit family in Wisconsin in July and they love their Miller Lite...
Last edited by PackerFan on 01 Apr 2013, 23:58, edited 2 times in total.

Post #4 made 11 years ago
I wasn't trying to be smart. Sorry. Seriously: post what you want to make and I'm sure people will help you out with a step by step. I can have a go, but there are much more experienced people on here would do a better job.
Guinges

Post #5 made 11 years ago
Hey PackerFan, I've lost count of the number of hours I've spent reading up on this site. And seriously, not a moment has been wasted. I'm new myself with a grand total of 6 brews under my belt.

Just out of interest what size pot are you brewing with?

Lee

Post #6 made 11 years ago
PackerFan,

When I started brewing in 2006 I knew nothing!!! Totally new! I went to Northern Brewer to buy a all grain kit. They have all the recipes on line and they are simple. I still use their recipes! Yes, there are a million recipes on the web and in books but NB sells a lot because they are good.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... grain-kits

Pick the beer from the list and when it appears go to the bottom look for "Additional Information" Clicking there will bring up "Recipe and Instructions" where you click "Click here" for the PDF file. The instructions are EASY to follow and are complete!

I downloaded most of the recipes already. I always just printed it and made my notes on the sheet. I now use a book from Basic Brewing to keep all the brew notes. I can convert the recipes to BIABacus too!
Last edited by BobBrews on 02 Apr 2013, 21:34, edited 2 times in total.
tap 1 Raspberry wine
tap 2 Bourbon Barrel Porter
tap 3 Czech Pilsner
tap 4 Triple IPA 11% ABV

Pipeline: Mulled Cider 10% ABV

http://cheesestradamus.com/ Brewers challenge!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #7 made 11 years ago
BrewBagMan wrote:Hey PackerFan, I've lost count of the number of hours I've spent reading up on this site. And seriously, not a moment has been wasted. I'm new myself with a grand total of 6 brews under my belt.

Just out of interest what size pot are you brewing with?

Lee
just filled my pot to the brim with 36 quarts of water..guess that means I have a 9 gallon pot. Help!! I'm going to the book store and pick up Brewing for Dummies today.

Dummy Out!
Last edited by PackerFan on 08 Apr 2013, 21:34, edited 2 times in total.

Post #12 made 11 years ago
PF,

Metric/US measurement conversion is a bit clumsy. Basically, everything needs to be entered in metric, and the spread sheet then also shows the us measurement automatically. To convert your ounces say into grams, click on the tab that says "conversions" Find the onces to grams line and plug in your ounces. Take the converted measurement and enter it into the appropriate spot on the first page of the biabacus.

By the way, I brew centennial blond. It is a good lawnmower beer. If you feel that you are having difficulties with BIABACUS, Post your recipe with as much info as possible, along with the inside diameter and depth of your pot to this thread... http://www.biabrewer.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=286 Until the biabacus is formally released, get your recipe/biabacus help there.

trout
Last edited by 2trout on 19 May 2013, 05:35, edited 2 times in total.
"All I know is that the beer is good and people clamor for it. OK, it's free and that has something to do with it."
Bobbrews
    • BME Brewer With Over 5 Brews From United States of America

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 64 guests