Post #276 made 8 years ago
Hello from a newbie. last weekend i brewed my first beer created in beersmith. as im waiting for fermentation to finish,i discovered this site and BIABacus and im creating my second recipe.
I would like to get your opinons and recipe check if possible, with corrections, suggestions or whatever.
thanks in advance.. :peace:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BIABacus Pre-Release - Your First Impressions

Post #277 made 8 years ago
It looks like holding 11 L back from the mash is rather a lot with some used for a sparge, some added to the boil, and some added to the fermenter. The advice you don't want to hear is to accept the volume limit of your kettle and brew a smaller batch. and maybe only hold back 2 to 3 L for a sparge. Try it in the BIABacus with only 2 L as sparge, no other water held back, in Section W and see if you can live with that size batch.

Shore Points
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From United States of America

Post #279 made 8 years ago
Toca wrote:Ok, thank you for the input.Ill try and see what values ill get.
btw. im a little confused od the section G. not sure what to put in there.
Hi Toca! I, like you, also want to make more beer than my kettle allows for. I created this thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=3407 and got some really nice help regarding the matter. So please check it out, it might help you. :)
Last edited by Kangarooster on 02 Oct 2015, 04:05, edited 2 times in total.

Post #280 made 8 years ago
Thanks, i already did this afternoon ;) thing that confused me, was when i lowered the volume and accepted my kettle volume, the grain to water ratio went up for 5 liters/ 1kg which was too much and thats because i increased on the sparge and during boil part..but when added to fermentor it naturally lowered the ratio. so one thing to consider also, that could be overlooked.

Post #281 made 8 years ago
Toca, welcome to the forum! :clap:

I tweaked your BIABacus file.

The changes I've made are in Section B; VIF is now 18L and Section W; 2L sparge, 2L before boil and 4L into fermentor. This seems to be about the maximum I would go for your MAXI-BIAB for this recipe.

Good Luck and let us know if you have any more questions.

MS
First one-MaxiBIAB - MS.xls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 02 Oct 2015, 07:55, edited 2 times in total.

Post #282 made 8 years ago
Thank you for helping a newbie out!
2 questions:
I was wondering whats the difference in terms of efficiency , when using 2 liters in sparge and 2 liters befor boil, compared to adding just 4 liters of sparge?
Is it dooable to use, instead of sparging, to soak the bag in other vessel where the sparge water was heated to strike temp. for cca 10 mins.
and the use that wort into kettle before the boil? in the same amount as you corrected the recipe?

Post #284 made 8 years ago
good to know :)
this would be my second batch with the same type ingredients as the first one i did last week.
i messed that up a lil bit since i didnt sparge as much as i needed to, as the grain bill was planned with sparging in mind.
so I ended up with much higher efficiency. 1.070 instead of 1.053. and 16 liters into fermenter instead of 20 L. :whistle:
yeast was s-05 so i think it will manage to eat it up to a acceptable FG. mashed at 67 for 90 mins.
ferments at 19 C.
Can I ask what can I expect from that beer?
high ABV? full body?

Post #287 made 8 years ago
Toca wrote: .......... so I ended up with much higher efficiency. 1.070 instead of 1.053. and 16 liters into fermenter instead of 20 L. :whistle:
These are just about the same, efficiency wise, just sounds like you boiled off 4 liters more than necessary (and/or other factors).

You can expect a much lower hop IBU because of this.

MS
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 06 Oct 2015, 07:17, edited 2 times in total.

Post #288 made 8 years ago
Lower? hm, could you please explain? i added hops based on original 20 liter plan. Shouldnt that amount of hops in 16L produce more bitterness?

btw tried to add a molasses or muscovado on a grain bill in section C while practicing and learning BIABacus. but as much as i add, ABV doesnt seem to rise.
im aware i should tweak a y section somehow but
i searched the forum but didnt find exact explanation.

Post #289 made 8 years ago
Toca wrote:Lower? hm, could you please explain? i added hops based on original 20 liter plan. Shouldnt that amount of hops in 16L produce more bitterness?
If you enter 16L as the VIF in Section L and 1.070 as the GAW in Section M, you can see the IBU change in Section O.

MS
Last edited by Mad_Scientist on 07 Oct 2015, 03:33, edited 2 times in total.

Post #291 made 8 years ago
I am planning to use Munich Malt for my next brew. It is my understanding that this malt results in less fermentable sugars than e.g. regular pale ale malt. How do I account for this in biabacus? Is it in section Y? What does FGDB and MC mean?

Post #292 made 8 years ago
Unless you are using huge amounts of it you won't need to account for it, probably not even if you are using huge amounts of it. I use it a lot, never have to adjust anything and still hit the estimated numbers...

FGDB = Fine grind dry basis, MC=Moisture Content.

Edit: Also, it would really only affect attenuation, since you will extract the sugars no matter how fermentable they are, and your hydrometer can't tell the difference either...
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Canada

Post #293 made 8 years ago
I would say mash low, and get the pH down to the low end as well (if you are using munich as a base malt). Mash for 90+ minutes, it's about all you can do ... most do not recommend using it as a base malt, you get what you get as it is theoretically unreliable. If just a specialty malt, no worry.
    • SVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From United States of America

Post #294 made 8 years ago
Thank you goulaigan and Rick. Actually I will only use about 10 %, maybe 15%. I had the FG calculation in mind. Since my FG will probably be higher than the calculated, the difference, i.e. alcohol strength, will be lower. That means that I need to increase my OG, either by lowering the amount of water or increasing the amount of the pale ale malt to get the same difference that I would get without the use of Munich Malt. But I guess since I am using only 10-15% it won't matter much :)

Post #298 made 8 years ago
Hi there!!

Tomorrow I will try my first AG beer. For that reason I chose an "easy" recipe from Brewing Classic Methods book HefeWeizen, that asks for a 50/50% Pilsen/Wheat Malt. I just bought a 19/20 litres pot and I will use Mini-Biab method

It is my first time using BIABacus, so I would like if you can chek my configuration. I just introduced the Original recipe from the book, and adjusted VIF to fit my pot and 1 Kg of each malt. I also introduce 2 L for sparging, so would have less volume on the mash and get better efficiency. However BIABacus throw me the message: "Decrease Water in Sparge". What's the reason for that? Would you made any other adjustment?

Thanks in advance! :) :pray:

Post #299 made 8 years ago
Nice job on The BIABacus gpupu :salute:.

Just a few corrections. Always do a 90 minute mash to be on the safe side especially when starting out.

In Section D, change the first line to 21.82 and totally get rid of 13.0 on the second line. You're bound to ask why and for very good reason :peace:...

I'm short on time but, you might get a few clues on getting rid of the 13.0 from this post and the 21.82 comes from the best investigation we have been able to do on these BCS recipes. (There is a thread on the 21.82 but even I can't find it after twenty minutes of searching!!!)

:luck: tomoz and let us know how you go ;).
Last edited by PistolPatch on 08 Nov 2015, 20:09, edited 2 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #300 made 8 years ago
Thank you very much for your answer PistolPatch

However I read it late, just in the boil. So I couldn't practice with your advices, Bad Luck!! :(

On the other hand, it wasn't right. First of all, I ended with a FG of 1,037 (I should check again the procces). Moreover, I got a strange color in the most, like dirty water, no idea what have I done. :cry:

Anyway thank you for your help. I would try best next time ;)

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 54 guests