Put dry yeast at bottom of carboy to start?

Post #1 made 12 years ago
Instead of racking to a carboy and then pitching the dry yeast on top.....

Since everyone and everything tells me I should aerate my wort as I rack it into my fermentor (carboy), why couldn't I just pitch the yeast FIRST into the carboy and then aerate the wort as I rack it into the carboy ON TOP of the yeast, mixing the yeast into the aerated wort?

Post #2 made 12 years ago
You could, but an even better idea is to rehydrate your yeast according to the manufacturers directions before pitching
Fermenting: -
Cubed: -
Stirplate: -
On Tap: NS Summer Ale III (WY1272), Landlord III (WY1469), Fighter's 70/- II (WY1272), Roast Porter (WY1028), Cider, Soda
Next: Munich Helles III

5/7/12

Post #3 made 12 years ago
I have never understood the rehydrating thing. I always pitch direct if using dried yeast, I think the hassle of rehydrating is not worth it. If you want to hydrate I suppose there is nothing stopping you adding a bit of cooled boiled water to the bottom of your carboy and pitching onto that. Then add your wort.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #4 made 12 years ago
I no longer rehydrate and haven't done so for several years but it certainly isn't a bad thing. I wouldn't put the dry yeast in first though daddyo as there are no advantages, only disadvantages. The disadvantages are shocking the yeast in either temperature or gravity. Sprinkling the dry yeast on to the foam of the aerated wort allows it to not receive any sort of shock.

;)
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #5 made 12 years ago
PistolPatch wrote:I no longer rehydrate and haven't done so for several years but it certainly isn't a bad thing. I wouldn't put the dry yeast in first though daddyo as there are no advantages, only disadvantages. The disadvantages are shocking the yeast in either temperature or gravity. Sprinkling the dry yeast on to the foam of the aerated wort allows it to not receive any sort of shock.

;)
Thanks for the explanation! I'll keep doing what I'm doing then and won't change it up.
Last edited by daddyo on 05 Jun 2012, 07:04, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 61 guests