Post #1353 made 12 years ago
Hi there,

I'm a Kiwi who has recently returned home to Auckland after a 7 year stint in the US. Drank many amazing beers there and have discovered many great ones here in NZ.

I am currently extract brewing w/ speciality grains. Have done 4 brews and am looking forward to branching out into AG.

The forum looks like it contains a wealth of information. I'm looking forward to learning!

Post #1356 made 12 years ago
Hi Guys,
Just started out with a recipe that a mate gave me for a belgian dark amber
i have completed it and its in the fermenter now.

Its only a small one, two 4 litre batches made from two 10 litre pots!

I now have a 19L one and will graduate to 10 litres. I want to do many small batches rather than fewer large

I would like to clone Holgate Temptress Chocolate Porter next as a request from my girlfriend. Any thoughts on a recipe to suit a 19L pot (about 10 litres into the fermenter)

What else?
Live in Victoria, Melbourne
32 years old
work as an Engineer for Fords
Love old cars and tinkering!

Hope to hear from you all

Ben

Post #1357 made 12 years ago
Welcome Ben and all the other newer members :salute:

I've never had a Holgate Temptress Chocolate Porter before Ben so am unable to help you with a recipe. "Brewing Classic Styles" would be a great book for yout to grab and has a Chocolate Hazelnut Porter that your girlfriend might like :P.

Once you have found a recipe you want to brew, then post it up into this thread. (I've linked to a post in the thread that tells you what info to supply.) Once you have done this, someone will be able to show you how to scale it to the volume you require.

If you have a 19 litre pot, the threads on mini-biab and maxi-biab are a great resource.

You live in an excellent area for brewing - lots of skilled and friendly brewers in Melbourne. Check out Melbourne Brewer's Group if you get a chance.

Cheers,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 04 Oct 2011, 17:21, edited 14 times in total.
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!
    • SVA Brewer With Over 100 Brews From Australia

Post #1358 made 12 years ago
Hi! I'm brewing from the tropics of the Philippine archipelago. We have a lot of interested brewers here but not enough ingredients, ie. malts, hops, and yeast! We get by with importing small quantities from the US and Singapore, relying on relatives to bring them for us.

I'm attempting to brew my first all grain from BIAB method and if successful, I shall be serving some in my restaurant. This site will surely help me with that. Thanks to you all. The information in this site is very invaluable.

Dominic

Post #1359 made 12 years ago
Hi there Dominic,

Welcome to the forum :peace:. I think, given your location, BIABrewer.info is an especially good forum to become a part of. Your locale is really interesting and I'm sure that many of us would be willing to find a source of supplies for you.

:peace:
PP
If you have found the above or anything else of value on BIABrewer.info, consider supporting us by getting some BIPs!

Post #1360 made 12 years ago
Hello all! I hail from Hampstead, Maryland in the US. I've never tried biab before, but the simplicity has me thinking I just might get rid of a bunch of my space-consuming equipment and go this route. I look forward to learning as much as I can from you fine people!

Cheers!

Post #1361 made 12 years ago
Good day everyone,

I'm from Seattle, Washington USA. I heard about BIAB from the Brewing Network's "Brew Strong" with Jamil show when he went down to Australia. I was looking for a cheaper way to brew then extract and this method made sense and was the cheapest way to go all grain. Now I've done 3 batches of BIAB, my first was amazing but my efficiency has gone down the tubes the last 2. I hope I can learn how to take my BIAB to the next level here.

Cheers!

Post #1362 made 12 years ago
Gday from Darwin, stumbled across this site while researching homebrew techniques. was wondering if there were any practitioners up this way. I have done some home brews before but only in kit form. would appreciate some reading recommendations for AG brewing, and also whether the grains are available in this part of Australia.

Post #1363 made 12 years ago
Welcome to the forum thirsty :peace:,

Have a read of The Commentary on this site for a detailed description of BIAB. After that you might have some questions so feel free to ask them on this site where you'll always get some good answers.

As for getting grains etc, I'm not too sure what is available in Darwin however there are quite a few online Australian shops that you can order from and the postage isn't that expensive so all should be fine.

:luck:
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 05 Oct 2011, 20:54, edited 14 times in total.

Post #1364 made 12 years ago
Hello from the UK. Have done plenty of research on BIAB (moving on from tweaked kit brews) and am just about to put an order in for grain and hops - looking to produce some authentic IPA's and quality session beers.

Post #1365 made 12 years ago
kuma75 wrote:Hello from the UK. Have done plenty of research on BIAB (moving on from tweaked kit brews) and am just about to put an order in for grain and hops - looking to produce some authentic IPA's and quality session beers.
Hi Kuma75

Always nice to see another UK brewer joining the forum. You'll certainly notice the "quality" aspect of AG brewing.

I don't know if you have any brewing software but you can't go far wrong with using the Calculator when planning your first brew. You can find a copy to down load Here If you have any problems post your recipe in this thread and someone will help you out.

:luck:

Yeasty
Last edited by Yeasty on 06 Oct 2011, 01:46, edited 14 times in total.
Why is everyone talking about "Cheese"
    • SVA Brewer With Over 50 Brews From Great Britain

Post #1366 made 12 years ago
Hej!

Originally from Michigan in the US, I moved to Stockholm, Sweden a few months ago. I couldn't take my all-grain setup on the plan with me, obviously. Living in a tiny apartment (with my wife and toddler) in one of the most expensive cities in the world, I don't have space or money for a lot of new equipment. I bought a few things to do extract & partial mash batches, then I stumbled on this BIAB site.

I've only been brewing for a few years and have done 16 batches, including one extract and one partial mash here in Stockholm. Look forward to getting a few BIAB batches under my belt.

Skål!

Kevin

Post #1367 made 12 years ago
G'day,

Will here. Manjimup W.A. (southern sticks). Done some average kits and found out bout Biab. Look forward to better brews I can serve to friends. Always a little extra pride when you've made it yourself.

Cheers
Will.

Post #1369 made 12 years ago
BIABrewer wrote: 1. Where are you from?
2. How did you stumble across the site?
3. What you think of it so far?
4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household?
Hello! Central Southern UK Brewer here, been doing kits for about a year before going onto BIAB a couple of months ago - wish I'd never bothered with the kits for so long really! I'm doing full length BIAB 23-25 boils, with a homemade immersion cooler. I get much clearer wort and much clearer beer than with any kit I've done (that might be something to do with the yeast - I think a sachet of S-04 is much better than any yeast supplied with a kit...). Using Irish Moss in the last 10 minutes of boil probably helps nicely with this too.

Anyway, I'm getting my neighbour into all grain brewing too this morning - trying a maxiBIAB in a stockpot. So far it seems less hassle than a full length boil.

ttfn.
Last edited by alwayssomething on 08 Oct 2011, 17:15, edited 14 times in total.

Post #1370 made 12 years ago
Hello Mates.

My online moniker is avid and I live in the State of Oregon which is in the Northwestern US. I haven't brewed in decades and when I was brewing it was with malt extracts. I have been dredging the internet and especially YouTube for the latest information about equipment and techniques. I kept seeing people refer to BIAB and I decided I had better figure what the fuss was about.

This is THE site for learning how to BIAB and I can thank Google's indexing for finding it. I am going to Portland (taking the Caravan on the six hour drive) tomorrow and intend to stop into a Oregon's largest home fermenting store to shop. We have a pretty good brew shop locally. They have a killer selection of ingredients but a limited selection of equipment. Actually being able to buy any ingredient I need is one of the incentives for starting again, that and BIAB. My wife has had it with my six decades of purchasing hardware and filling up the basement in pursuit of my many hobbies. I won't need to purchase much to get into BIAB and that makes her very happy. She can finally stop cranking at me about the 150 Grolsch bottles I have been storing for decades.;)

I am looking forward to hanging around and learning from the experts. Who knows, in time I may even learn enough to assist another beginning BIAB brewer.

Cheers,
Last edited by avid on 09 Oct 2011, 08:30, edited 14 times in total.
avid
SW Oregon, USA

Post #1371 made 12 years ago
Hello lads!

Joel here. I just joined up and am 2 brews in to BIAB. So far, I love it and can't see why some people poo poo it (uneducated laricans I assume).

I wish I had of found this forum sooner as I pieced together all my info from various sources on the web, Palmers book and a video a guy posted on Aussie Home Brewer than made BIAB look easy as pie (dude cooled the wort down by covering it and leaving it on the garage floor overnight).

Anyway, I look forward to hanging out...

Joel
    • MVA Brewer With Over 20 Brews From Australia

Post #1372 made 12 years ago
Excellent posts guys :thumbs:. Thanks for the interesting reads and welcome aboard.

popmedium: Have you got a link to the BIAB video on AHB? To post links on this forum see here.

Thanks again,
PP
Last edited by PistolPatch on 09 Oct 2011, 17:33, edited 14 times in total.

Post #1373 made 12 years ago
Hi guys,
I'm from italy and I'm an homebrewer since 2009. After 2 years of electric brewing (the easier way to make beer in a flat), next week I'll turn to BIAB. I just bought a voile (or I hope so) and I'm ready to start!
Next I'll try to buy a Buffalo Boiler, the thing is they ship just inside the UK...

Cheers,
Luca

Post #1374 made 12 years ago
Welcome Avid,one of the many great things I like about BIAB is that I didn't HAVE to buy alot of gear to get going,however there is a whole lot available if I get the need to buy.Like the great Ron White (Tater Salad) said."they told me I had the right to remain silent,I just didn't have the ability to remain silent!!
AWOL

Post #1375 made 12 years ago
1. Where are you from?
Yorkshire, England.

2. How did you stumble across the site?
A link on the AussieHomeBrewer forum.

3. What you think of it so far?
Rubbish! (that's a joke that only 40yearold+ Brits would get - a teevee show catchphrase :kisswink: ). Seriously, you have an interesting 'format'... can comment on the content yet but I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

4. Have you brewed at all before. If so, for how long and what method are you currently using?
About a year... simple wine & cider recipes and beer 'kits & bits'... looking for the next step.

5. Do you work? Are you retired or maybe you run a household?
Yup, in a call-centre for a security firm... 12 hour night-shifts... oh joy!

Cheers!
Steve
Last edited by JagCrusher on 10 Oct 2011, 03:47, edited 14 times in total.

Return to “BIABrewer.info and BIAB for New Members”

Brewers Online

Brewers browsing this forum: No members and 106 guests